Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407002 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #3165 on: July 07, 2017, 01:46:37 pm »

I am always trying to reimagine Majesty as a multiplayer game.

I haven't played the FEoF but I imagine it would be a good vehicle for the setup.

The idea behind Majesty is that there is a king and several guilds. If the castle is sacked it's game over. The guilds allow the king to have more of certain kinds of heroes such as warriors and wizards and so forth.

The king assigns missions, or more correctly, offers motivation. Exploring certain areas, removing certain threats, that kind of thing. By paying out gold. As the kingdom slowly grows there are more civilian households that pay the taxes.

As a FEoF

As I understand it this would translate well. Both as a kingdom defender and the king may need to send others on a quest to take care of foreign threats.
I am not looking to host this at least not the FEoF elements. But I sense an opportunity here and I would offer to work together with someone to make it happen.

~RH

Spoiler: Extra Thotz (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:48:16 pm by roseheart »

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: July 23, 2017, 11:25:49 am »

Mafia, only the GM is scum. Some obvious rules need to be followed but anything else can be changed to make sure scum wins. Everyone starts as a vanilla town, and the GM changes one role per night to make Scum win.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: July 23, 2017, 12:47:15 pm »

Take it to the relevant thread in the Mafia subforum.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: July 23, 2017, 01:24:09 pm »

Several? That's 32 very good questions.

Back to my original question, the answer appears to be "No, there hasn't been any games featuring necromancy in modern times".
COVEN does, albeit not as the main focus of the game.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: July 25, 2017, 10:58:39 am »

Because I had random idea plus some old scribblings plus Unfamiliar 1940 inspired me:

Spoiler: And Techs (click to show/hide)

It would be for 12 players (Denmark-Iceland, Piedmont-Sardinia, United Netherlands, Two Sicilies, Sweden-Norway, UK-Ireland, Prussia, Spain, Hapsburgs, France, Ottomans, Russians).
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: July 26, 2017, 01:48:50 pm »

Yes please, Haspen.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: July 29, 2017, 11:53:45 pm »

This is something that has been stewing in my mind ever since I read the original way back.

Spoiler: Summary (click to show/hide)

Many things have changed both irl and on these forums after 6 years, and I feel like it'd be neat if we did it all over again. Of course, it might be a good idea to lay some ground rules first though eh? So, is anyone interested?

There's even a fairly convenient date coming up. The total solar eclipse that's going to happen over the usa has people worried apparently. We don't really need real world justification though.

Edit: Guess I'll start hashing this out a bit.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 07:21:59 pm by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: July 30, 2017, 02:06:49 am »

Greetings, Bay12ers. (This is an XPost seeking feedback/criticism/playtesters)

I've created a d100 Dieselpunk tabletop roleplaying game called Akroydiesel Age RPG.  The latest version of it will always be available on this discord server but I can also upload a snapshot on request, posting the link here or elsewhere.  I'd rather not having a permanent public-facing link of a wide variety of reasons but also occassionally make threads for it on 4chan's /tg/ board.

Anyone interested in playtesting, taking a look, or letting me know I'm an idiot feel free to PM me here/contact me in the discord.  This is a crosspost so I cannot promise I'll see every reply in-thread, though I'll make an effort to.
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: July 30, 2017, 03:44:38 pm »

This is something that has been stewing in my mind ever since I read the original way back.

There was a prediction by Harold Camping that the rapture would occur on May 21, 2011. When it didn't, one Bay12er had an interesting idea. How about I start a thread, and rp as if it actually DID happen?

So on May 22, this happened.

Things were slow at first, but eventually it grew into something amazing. Wizards! Chaos! People dying a lot! War! The other three horsemen! SPESS! Multiple player factions! Conquering hell! Eldritch Horrors! Godmodding! (Unfortunate, but inevitable.)

In other words, it was practically the distilled essense of Bay12 in thread form. I found it fascinating, but didn't end up participating because rp wasn't exactly my forte. Still isn't now, but I'm a lot better than before.

Many things have changed both irl and on these forums after 6 years, and I feel like it'd be neat if we did it all over again. Of course, it might be a good idea to lay some ground rules first though eh? So, is anyone interested?

There's even a fairly convenient date coming up. The total solar eclipse that's going to happen over the usa has people worried apparently. We don't really need real world justification though.
Oh, yeah. I remember that.

So what kinds of things from that game do you want to keep and what do you want to get rid of for a future game? One thing that I think bugged me at the time was how all of us where so far apart irl that it took us a while to meet up in game (it looks like I invented a companion after a while NPC so that I wouldn't be alone travelling there). On the other hand, there's no reason in a freeform forum-based rpg that characters really need to meet up, and it's an interesting alternative to have a sort have reports of what's happening in different places around the world, which in retrospect kind of reminds me of how Igynpadca works (even though that game came later).

Speaking of such, this makes me wonder if if it would be a good idea to have a game that runs like Igynpadca, but, instead of being based on a fictional video game, it takes place in a fantasy world (or it could be sci-fi or whatever) where the players' characters have access to some sort of magical messenger board where they can talk with each other about their adventures and possibly meet up (I believe a thing like this actually exists in-game in the lore of Shadowrun, btw). Would people be interested in such a thing?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: July 30, 2017, 07:55:21 pm »

So what kinds of things from that game do you want to keep and what do you want to get rid of for a future game?
My answer to the first question is "basically everything". There's very little that I'd like to remove, save perhaps the way things went a bit overboard near the end. The shonen powerscaling of both enemies and allies detracted from things somewhat. I'd like it to be a slow burn, where we don't have godly superpowers after 3 days of play. A bit more slice of life, a bit less slice and dice.

When it comes down to it, it'd probably be best to just make an OOC thread to discuss that sort of thing. The game should be what players make of it. However, it might be neat if people were to volunteer and make events happen, control enemies, etc every now and then. It'd help keep people engaged.

In general, most people followed the "Yes, and..." style of play, which is probably the best way to go about things. If people don't like what a player is doing, they can just ignore them to avoid giving them power.

One thing that I think bugged me at the time was how all of us where so far apart irl that it took us a while to meet up in game (it looks like I invented a companion after a while NPC so that I wouldn't be alone travelling there).
That was definitely an an issue. Honestly, ragnarok was the one that really got things going in that area, and it was a good thing they did. We might just have to accept that at least one player has to be able to teleport. However, I have an... idea of sorts.

In SMT Nocturne, there is something called the Amala Network. Think of it as sort of a demonic equivelent to the internet that you can walk/fast travel through. Sort of like the Minecraft nether, if that helps, though I hate to word it that way. There's some implication that the network links to other universes as well.

Basically, we could say that someone figured out how to use the internet to do something similar via magic or whatever, and revealed it open source for the world to see. In fact, this could actually be a precursor to the game, and people using/abusing this method weakened the barriers between worlds. 

This would allow us to group up in advance, as bay12 goers decide to get together to celebrate a new df release or something in universe. This would allow for a prologue of sorts where we could better define our characters.

On the other hand, there's no reason in a freeform forum-based rpg that characters really need to meet up, and it's an interesting alternative to have a sort have reports of what's happening in different places around the world, which in retrospect kind of reminds me of how Igynpadca works (even though that game came later).

Also true. If this game happens, it is my intention to regularly create news reports of how the rest of the world is faring. I may run some greater aspects of the game like that myself, but the game doesn't really need a game master. I quite like your mentioning of IGYNPADCA, as in retrospect the two do share some elements that I like.

As for your idea, I might not be interested in participating, but it seems neat. Really, if you take just about any fictional setting and hand the characters working cell phones, there's a lot of potential for things to change. No wonder horror movies never let people have reception. :p
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 02:26:25 am by Person »
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: July 30, 2017, 09:16:11 pm »

Person, I mostly agree with you here.  However...
In general, most people followed the "Yes, and..." style of play, which is probably the best way to go about things. If people don't like what a player is doing, they can just ignore them to avoid giving them power.
If a powermoding player (one giving vast amounts of power for little reason at all, not completely godmoding) is ignored, chances are they'll try to get their attention. Probably by putting themselves in other players' faces and getting more powerful, etc. Something needs to limit or stop players who take this path, but the presence of some form of GM can make the game lose its' apparent freedoms. Such a system would need to be in the innate rules or setting of the game, like the Amala network think you mentioned. Perhaps something along the line of increases in power pulling the strengthened  closer to some alternate plane of existence, where they aren't able to affect the real, original plane as much. Smaller, or slower, increases of power have minimal pull and the player gets 100% in the real plane quickly (unnoticeably), while the more sudden rises in power can trap the empowered for long amount of time, unless they willingly sacrifice amounts of their own power to get back sooner. A little wordy to explain, but does the concept sound good enough?
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: July 31, 2017, 06:59:43 pm »

That's probably better. I didn't really mean "ignore" so much as "act as if the thing didn't actually happen". People probably aren't exactly eager to do so, myself included. Assuming good faith and doing that sort of thing don't mix well in retrospect.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 01:41:50 pm by Person »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: August 05, 2017, 04:38:38 am »

So, I wanted to do a combat system which involves players flying at each other and shooting lasers and stuff. Think anime. Probably for a supernatural game of some sort.

Here's the gist of it.

Mechanics

Every combat round you specify a number of actions and allocate a number of dice to block enemy attacks. All dice succeed on a 4+.

Defense determines how many dice you can use to block.
Power determines how many dice you can use to make actions and attacks. Also, you can only throw a total of 2 x Power dice.
Agility allows you to spend dice for a guaranteed change in position instead. See Positioning below.

By default half of your Defense dice are allocated to blocking physical attacks, and the other are allocated to blocking magic attacks. You can attempt to predict what your opponent will do instead, and your dice will all get +1 if you guess correctly. You can allocate dice toward blocking specific attacks.
Blocking an attack simply lowers the damage you take by the number of successes.

You can split your Power dice on as many actions as you'd like. There's no limit to how many.

Weapons/Abilities

A weapon has the following properties: Power, Cost, Range, and Area.
Cost: The minimum success needed to pass with the weapon. Unlike unarmed attacks, a weapon attack will only pass if you meet the cost. Usually 2-3 for most weapons, though a powerful weapon might require 4-5.
Power: The bonus damage you get when you succeed with the weapon. Typically half the cost.
Range: Add 1 Cost to the weapon for each unit of distance beyond the weapon's range. 0 is Melee.
Area: The minimum distance you need to move in order to dodge this attack. (see Positioning below)

Weapons can be actual weapons, like swords and guns, or they can be spells like Magic Missiles and whatnot.

Abilities(s): Choose 2-3 abilities.
Abilities are like weapons, except that they have a bit more fluff to them. That fluff translates into game mechanics and alterations to the rules for your character. For example, you can have an ability that stores charge over time and lets you make one powerful attack. You can have an ability that spreads damage among multiple enemies if it hits, at a higher cost.
Abilities can also modify enemy positioning, which can make it easier to attack them or make it harder for them to hit you.

Typically the effect of an ability is variable depending on how many dice you put into the ability. They can still have a cost, power, speed, range, etc. like normal weapons.

Finishers

Damage is relative. Both combatants in a fight will accumulate damage indefinitely since it's their souls accumulating damage rather than their physical bodies being hurt.
To end a fight, you can attempt a Finisher if your damage dealt minus damage taken is greater than your opponent's Defense.

To do this, roll your extra damage plus your Power as the total number of dice. If the result is higher than the target's Defense, you knock them out. Otherwise, your opponent gets reset to your own current level of damage.
You can attempt as many finishers as you'd like, and the dice you roll as part of a finisher don't count as spent. You can try a finisher right after a normal turn.

Exhaustion

If the loser's total damage taken is greater than your Defense, you count as Exhausted. If you fail a finisher while Exhausted and your opponent isn't currently Exhausted, your opponent can attempt a finisher using twice their Power as the number of dice.
If both are exhausted, then the battle ends inconclusively.

Positioning:

All characters have a Distance from each other and a relative speed. Distance is measured as both horizontal and vertical, while speed measured as both toward/away from, and tangent (sideways) motion. Enemies will lead their targets, meaning that the attack is aimed at where you will be based on your current speed.

During your turn, you can spend as many dice as you have Agility to change your positioning. You can either accelerate at the cost of 1 dice per guaranteed point of speed, or move a fixed distance at the cost of 2 dice per point of distance.
Before attacks hit, your character's Speed toward your opponent is subtracted from your horizontal distance to the target (positive is toward, negative is away). You can consume speed toward an opponent to use as dice in a melee attack, and this doesn't count toward your 2 x Power total.
Vertical distance, if positive (above your target), can also be spent in the same way.

Attacks have an Area associated with them and are automatically aimed at where the target will be given the target's current speed. If the target changes sideways speed, or moves a fixed distance to the side, the attack is dodged. Speeding toward an opponent will not help you dodge projectiles, however.
You can also move tangent to your opponent, simply spinning in a circle around them without changing distance or speed. This can help dodge without sacrificing positioning.

I'd like to get feedback, if it sounds interesting at all as an alternative to the "roll to hit, roll for effect" that I sometimes see in places.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: August 05, 2017, 10:19:45 pm »

There still seems like a lot of stuff to work on. Stats seem OK, though a little small, and you haven't mentioned how progression will work. Finishers are rather generic, so there should be specific finishers characters could have that alter finisher strength in certain conditions, or possibly "finishers" that are harder to kill the enemy with, but provide a buff/debuff against them that turns the remaining battle in your favor. Weapons system could work, but the positioning part of it should account for more; shape/nature of the area, target's ability to react and move away, and maybe how positioning within the area affects damage, etc.

Speaking of which, that's the biggest problem; Positioning. It is a mathematical nightmare. For players moving around a stationary point, it's OK, since you often have to recalculate distance between any 2 points to locate all sorts of things. For players moving around Eachother, there's so many ways their relation to other players has to be recalculated, and numbers'll get so specific that you have to round at some point. Don't forget whether you're measuring tangent velocity with degrees or distance per second. Then there's trying to convey it all clearly to players.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: August 05, 2017, 11:48:50 pm »

Thanks for the advice.

There still seems like a lot of stuff to work on. Stats seem OK, though a little small, and you haven't mentioned how progression will work. Finishers are rather generic, so there should be specific finishers characters could have that alter finisher strength in certain conditions, or possibly "finishers" that are harder to kill the enemy with, but provide a buff/debuff against them that turns the remaining battle in your favor. Weapons system could work, but the positioning part of it should account for more; shape/nature of the area, target's ability to react and move away, and maybe how positioning within the area affects damage, etc.

Yep. It's not a fully fleshed-out idea yet.

Regarding stats, I wanted a small number of base stats because the more I add, the more difficult it becomes to make each stat point worth the same. The idea is that each stat should contribute to a damage advantage in some way, either by protecting you against damage, or by granting you ways to deal damage. Since Agility becomes the most versatile (it can do both), the other two stats grant other advantages to make up for a lack of versatility.

There are other minor stats I was thinking of, such as Precognition (gives you a chance to predict NPC attacks), Evasiveness (creates an area of uncertainty as to where you'll be), Fortitude (chance to resist enemy positioning-altering abilities), and perhaps Reflex (Determines what bonus you get to blocking abilities that you predict). You'd get those through either spending a different kind of points than the primary stats, or through special artifact items.

I was thinking of different kinds of finishers having to do with the game setting, such as a finisher that separates the soul from the body (lets you still fight on as a soul, but only through magical attacks) and a kind of death blow that causes lasting harm to the body itself, but doesn't have an effect on soul attributes.
Abilities can be modified finishers, so there's room in the mechanics for something different there.

As for weapons, I was thinking of having different mechanics for projectiles, thrown objects, sweeping blade attacks, etc. However, anything with an area-of-effect and special shapes of the area would technically count as an ability in the current system, and the nature of the area would be defined in the ability description. For example: A 120° sweep with a range of 2 units, dealing damage to the first target hit.

That'd make something like a grenade launcher an ability instead, which I guess is kind of unintuitive, but most weapons wouldn't have that kind of sweep.
...Maybe add some default abilities like a wide slash, a kick, or a bash that sends the enemy flying.

Speaking of which, that's the biggest problem; Positioning. It is a mathematical nightmare. For players moving around a stationary point, it's OK, since you often have to recalculate distance between any 2 points to locate all sorts of things. For players moving around Eachother, there's so many ways their relation to other players has to be recalculated, and numbers'll get so specific that you have to round at some point. Don't forget whether you're measuring tangent velocity with degrees or distance per second. Then there's trying to convey it all clearly to players.

Positioning was something I thought would be a problem as well. I think the easiest way to resolve it though would be to make a map. Simply have a grid and draw an arrow.
A grid would mostly restrict players to a certain number of axes of movement, but I think we can get around that. Direct speed can be the longer arrow and tangential speed is the dotted line:

Of course there are edge cases where you get less mileage out of your direct speed than you'd like. Take this for example:

...where Tangent speed and Direct speed are equal. In that case, we could just say that in melee, you can consume any kind of speed, since you're colliding with your enemy anyway.

Environments probably need to be represented better. An area like a graveyard with lots of obstacles, for example, could be used against enemies by simply using a displacement ability.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 03:08:07 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 238