Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407538 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2850 on: December 08, 2016, 09:57:40 am »

So uh, I randomly remembered Sheb once mentioning off-hand he is trying to make Era of Diesel on Mars...

And then I read some articles on wikipedia on Mars, and then I thought about sci-fi stuff and, well:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ERA OF MARS! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Spoiler: Rules, mostly complete (click to show/hide)

Major changes from other EoD games:

Traits have been compressed into 4 mandatory ones: Government, Army and Size were in EoD too, but 'various' traits are now replaced by national Philosophy. As you can see, these can small bonus at no cost or provide powerful benefits at somewhat big cost.

There is now also Power management; your Territories cannot support ALL the Improvements, so you gotta make strategic choices about your infrastructure.

Oh and Era of Mars , as you will notice, introduces NUUUKES! UNLEASH ATOMIC HELL AT YOUR ENEMI mean there's still Fallout you gotta consider, Power management as Missile Silos are Territorial Improvements like otehrs, and the fact that your missiles can be shot down and/or their effects lessened later up the Tech Tree, but still: NUKES!

Also, two types of Armies; fleshy mook Corps and mighty mechanized Mecha Corps. Mecha Corps stomp the fleshies, but fleshies are easily accessible while you gotta spend a while to get large number of Mecha Corps, necessiting a fine balance.

That's all for now, but I promise there will be more.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 06:18:44 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: December 08, 2016, 11:07:04 am »

War on Mars? I like that thought - the system itself, also looks quite fine. Neither too big as to produce clutter and confusion, nor too small to lack different avenues of attack. As for my thoughts on it below, dis/regard at your leisure.

Also, two types of Armies; fleshy mook Corps and mighty mechanized Mecha Corps. Mecha Corps stomp the fleshies, but fleshies are easily accessible while you gotta spend a while to get large number of Mecha Corps, necessiting a fine balance.
Might just be me, but drones sound far more accessible than manpower. A "gunbot", would be an easy fix even now - and while jamming could be made into an issue, having mobile connectors, would solve much of it. (Or just make them more of an easy defence kind of thing? One, that could even be "teched-out" by the enemy at some point? The options, are there.)
Thing is, once you got a factory that produces drones, you can pump them out and use them as disposable troops - just think of them in the same line as land-mines, which you can pepper the landscape with.

Well, the whole idea hinges on one matter -would a Drone HQ, Factory, Troops, Research and possible Trait, add some spice to the game, or only realism and clutter? If unneccessary, handwaiving the topic with "AI-Fear" or "Jamming", is easy enough.

In favour of realism, I feel forced to mention that "fallout", on mars, is kinda the standard. Lack of a magnetic field, and far too thin an atmosphere, make mars a bad place to sun-bath, and requires protection against radiation as-is. An EMC-"Stun", would fit either way.

Thinking in that line, you might want to implement biological warheads, because if you use nukes, that avenue of attack isn't far-off either. Imagine all the cruel, lab-grown pathogens you could seed your enemies with - makes irradiation look cute in comparison, really.
Right, there also is the option to have the game set ~300 years into the future, at which point mars could have an artificially jump-started/created atmosphere. (With current technology, guesstimates say it would take ~1000 years, so in a sci-fi game where technology hasn't encountered a major bottleneck, but has advanced, anywhere between 200 to 500 years would be reasonable)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: December 08, 2016, 11:29:11 am »

I'm slightly confused, do you want to replace Mecha with Drones or add them besides grunts and mecha as third army type?

Also, I just added a vast chunk of missing Rules spoiler, might be worth checking out ;v

Also also, I would rather veer toward softer and 'cooler' side of sci-fi rather than diamond-hard tech :3

Also also also, I kinda want to add bioweapons to the system but I'm not sure how to balance it so its neither OP nor a scrappy add-on. That's certainly a thought up for consideration, though!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 11:33:31 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: December 08, 2016, 12:21:12 pm »

I'm slightly confused, do you want to replace Mecha with Drones or add them besides grunts and mecha as third army type?

Also also also, I kinda want to add bioweapons to the system but I'm not sure how to balance it so its neither OP nor a scrappy add-on. That's certainly a thought up for consideration, though!

I'm mainly bringing drones to the table, because you worded it, as if troops would be led to the slaughter. Which always will be the case, but only after other options have been exhausted. Each soldier, should need at the very least ~10 years (even with hormone therapy) to become viable. Sending out drones, is far less of an investment, nor will anbody cry over their loss.

What they would be, is really up to you. Maybe jamming makes them unefficient outside of your own areas, with them only being kind of a "fortification" upgrade? Maybe, they are a third unit type, which needs a "Com Tower" to function, with high mali if used outside of that radius? They could even have an "autonomous" upgrade down the line. Or, even easier, you imply that drones - as is the case with tanks, artillery and similiar - are part of infantry tactics. Problem being, as everyone uses them, they don't make a measurable difference, with people still dying in the end.

As for bio-weapons, how about giving them their own tech-upgrades and fitting anti-tech? If your tech is high enough / the enemies anti-tech low enough, it might go undetected and spread, giving various mali to affected regions / forcing you to stop transportation. Just having a slight malus on your units for a couple of turns, and their inability to travel to other friendly regions / regions with friendlies, might already change the tide of a war. (Well, or biting the bullet, and infecting other units / areas).

But, really - you are the one who has to fit that stuff into his game, so make of my thoughts what you will. ;3

Right, right with the risk of making the game too cluttered, I'll just throw in the possibilities of spies, sabotage & similiar fun. Haven't read anything about that option either, but war in the information age - and possibly beyond, might be all about it. Or not. Your call, I'm just listing what comes to mind~
Playing devils advocate, sure is fun~

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: December 09, 2016, 12:58:46 am »

Scar their WW2 thing. Would be too cluttered and unwieldy at this point.

Can do basic Inferum stuff though. As my " Conwuest" stuff is on my computer. ( This being my phone.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 04:10:37 am by Tyrant Leviathan »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2855 on: December 09, 2016, 02:22:11 am »

Scar their WW2 thing. Would be too cluttered and unwieldy at this point.

Can do basic Inferum stuff though. As my " Conwuest" stuff is on my computer. ( This being my phone.)

Never before have I seen a post that needed a spoiler more. I'm not one to complain about this stuff normally (usually I just bitch about formatting in the forum games I GM) but for the love of god please fix it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 02:23:47 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: December 09, 2016, 02:36:34 am »

I refuse to believe you posted that from your phone.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: December 09, 2016, 07:44:38 am »

Goodness me.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: December 09, 2016, 11:47:46 am »

pls lrn2spoiler Tyrant Leviathan it hurts me tiny heart ;c
SigFlags!

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: December 09, 2016, 10:01:44 pm »

I do not know the spoilers system I apologize and yes. I have no computer. It's all done by phone.

What is the code for spoiler tag here?

And WW2 game has even more than that. In earlier days I made games that have tons of stuff in list form. These days experimenting the adventure gambit in which the player can make stuff up.

( Though could just make lists of stuff for said games too)

Sorry again.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: December 09, 2016, 10:09:15 pm »

There should be a button that has the radioactive symbol on it. Press it and it will add a spoiler. Or, if you wish do do it manually just type ['spoiler][/spoiler] but without the apostrophe
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: December 10, 2016, 03:10:19 am »

There should be a button that has the radioactive symbol on it. Press it and it will add a spoiler. Or, if you wish do do it manually just type ['spoiler][/spoiler] but without the apostrophe

For situations like this you people need to learn about nobbc tag. It renders other tags between them into normal text so you don't have to add those fancy extra characters in between. Like this:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: December 10, 2016, 04:02:32 am »

if so going to edit. Again.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 04:04:57 am by Tyrant Leviathan »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: December 10, 2016, 09:29:04 pm »

Well, if it's okay to step into Tyrant's spotlight...

I was planning on running a dungeon shopkeeper game based around a mysterious dungeon that lots of adventurers perish inside. The PC's are a group of people who decided (perhaps after braving the depths several times) that pushing to take it on all at once is too daunting a task. Instead, they've set out to open a store inside the dungeon, to help other adventurers push deeper into the dungeon while making a profit. I'm sure this idea's been done before, but if not, that's cool.

The idea is to have a group of players with varying goals. Some characters might just be out there to make a profit, and won't hold any reservations against stalking other adventurers, waiting for them to die, and looting their corpses. Other characters probably won't approve, so they might end up cooperating with NPCs or going on their own looting runs to supply shop material. I might try to enforce this dynamic by picking a mix of character archetypes at the beginning, since I want a bit more depth than a simple dungeon crawl and/or murder-fest.

Thoughts? Advice?
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2864 on: December 10, 2016, 09:36:18 pm »

Well, if it's okay to step into Tyrant's spotlight...

I was planning on running a dungeon shopkeeper game based around a mysterious dungeon that lots of adventurers perish inside. The PC's are a group of people who decided (perhaps after braving the depths several times) that pushing to take it on all at once is too daunting a task. Instead, they've set out to open a store inside the dungeon, to help other adventurers push deeper into the dungeon while making a profit. I'm sure this idea's been done before, but if not, that's cool.

The idea is to have a group of players with varying goals. Some characters might just be out there to make a profit, and won't hold any reservations against stalking other adventurers, waiting for them to die, and looting their corpses. Other characters probably won't approve, so they might end up cooperating with NPCs or going on their own looting runs to supply shop material. I might try to enforce this dynamic by picking a mix of character archetypes at the beginning, since I want a bit more depth than a simple dungeon crawl and/or murder-fest.

Thoughts? Advice?

In.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 238