Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407930 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2625 on: May 29, 2016, 03:30:25 pm »

Would anybody be interested in a Wikipedia Wars like game, but using TV Tropes instead?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: May 29, 2016, 03:31:19 pm »

Yep.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: May 29, 2016, 03:41:26 pm »

Very much yes. I spend way too much time on TvTropes anyway, may as well put it to use.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: May 29, 2016, 03:48:47 pm »

Sounds interesting, it would be interesting to see how it works.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: May 29, 2016, 10:45:55 pm »

Currently working on an FEF-style Pokemon strategy game.

Potential issues:
  • I'm making Python scripts to do most of it for me, but the amount of math required for each turn is going to get annoying.
  • This game is arguably more complicated than FEF, and FEF attracts some people by virtue of being a forum version of something they already play. I don't know if anyone will want to bother with this.

Spoiler: test map (click to show/hide)

You can find the WIP instructions here, if you're curious. I have more done than what's there, but it's SECRET and/or unfinished

edit: I just noticed the Diglett's mouth is square on that sprite. Isn't that weird?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: May 30, 2016, 10:03:56 am »

I will watch this closely in da future :v

edit: I just noticed the Diglett's mouth is square on that sprite. Isn't that weird?

That's a nose, not mouth.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: May 30, 2016, 12:19:07 pm »

Quote from: Elephant Parade
Currently working on an FEF-style Pokemon strategy game.

This, sounds great, on so many levels. Consider me interested.

On a slightly different matter - is there a reason why you chose those particular sprites for the test-map, besides to "showcase" the idea? Caus' a quick search gave some nice 32x32 in-colour menu sprites for up to gen XY. About terrain, well, another quick check and I'd wager using the original tiles of, oh - your favourite gen? - won't be a problem either. (Well - at least up until they started making the game environment in pseudo 3d. Whichever gen that was)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: May 30, 2016, 08:11:39 pm »

Glad the reception was positive!

That's a nose, not mouth.
Oh, okay. That makes more sense, I guess.

On a slightly different matter - is there a reason why you chose those particular sprites for the test-map, besides to "showcase" the idea? Caus' a quick search gave some nice 32x32 in-colour menu sprites for up to gen XY. About terrain, well, another quick check and I'd wager using the original tiles of, oh - your favourite gen? - won't be a problem either. (Well - at least up until they started making the game environment in pseudo 3d. Whichever gen that was)
I could use the original tiles, but I'd need to
  • download a tileset
  • resize the tiles to something that would work well
  • lament upon realizing that the tiles work really poorly with party sprites
I will definitely at least try the actual tiles at some point, though.

As for sprites, I like the Gen II ones because 10 seconds in paint gives me a decent-looking recolour, since there are only two colours (plus black) to begin with; with newer sprites, it'd take more time for an inferior result. I could also just skip recolouring entirely, but that'd make it harder to differentiate between allies and enemies.

If you'd like to stay updated on the development of the game, I can PM you whenever I finish a few new sections—or just keep posting in the thread, I guess, though that could get kinda spammy. Speaking of which: I've made some changes. Voice has gotten even less consistent, but that's something to worry about later.

Added:
  • Understanding Stats
  • Attack Accuracy
  • Understanding Pokemon
  • Understanding Abilities
  • Appendix A: Formulas (unfinished)
  • Appendix ?: Early-Game Moves

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: May 31, 2016, 06:14:16 am »

I could use the original tiles, but I'd need to
  • download a tileset
  • resize the tiles to something that would work well
  • lament upon realizing that the tiles work really poorly with party sprites
I will definitely at least try the actual tiles at some point, though.

As for sprites, I like the Gen II ones because 10 seconds in paint gives me a decent-looking recolour, since there are only two colours (plus black) to begin with; with newer sprites, it'd take more time for an inferior result. I could also just skip recolouring entirely, but that'd make it harder to differentiate between allies and enemies.

I could argue that these points are quickly solved, or non-existant, but;

Cobbling together my mock-up took, like, twenty minutes - most of that spent on one-time work like the grid, or making the buggers opaque "tiles". Well, what does stands out, is the multi tile terrain. Some of them, could easily be fixed with a few edits (like making that road 1-tiled), but many more can't. You also don't want to build any too many cities, as most houses have about twenty tiles, give or take. Though any "existing towns", can easily be dl-ed as a screenshot, and layed under a grid.

The "Real Problem", is how and what kind of terrain one can even make with pokemon.
Some "uneven" terrain, with rocks, is simple, tall grass can also easily have dis/advantages for combat.
Though as soon as a Snorlax tries to take cover in those bushes, my suspension of disbelief starts tingling.

To cut it short: The tilesets and icons are nice - real nice, in fact - but would they be worth the possible work-over of your rules / the lesser options that would stem from taking these tiles as basis?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 06:19:06 am by escaped lurker »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: June 01, 2016, 08:18:02 pm »

So, I scrapped Viking D&D for another idea.

I started off by building a much more expansive world, with a continent roughly halfway in size between Australia and Europe. I plan on having around fifteen or so kingdoms, each containing several principalities, duchies, baronies, and the like, and these kingdoms are split between five distinct ethnic groups. My goal of creating a more realistic image of feudalism is in no way influenced by Crusader Kings.

The basic idea of this game is that the players start off with an adventure that places them as level 15 or so heroes, in a setting with a technology level roughly equivalent to the late 1500s; the idea of this particular adventure is that it's one of those stereotypical heroic dungeon crawls and hits every cliché in the book up until the ending.

The revelations made in this one-shot adventure are a setup for the plot of the real game, set about 250 years afterward, where the players play as the distant descendants of their original characters in a sorta-steampunk setting, where the actions undertaken by the characters in the first adventure are shown to have far-reaching consequences because of villainous scheming and such.

Oh, and it would be Pathfinder, because the character classes in vanilla Pathfinder are more in line with the setting I have in mind than they usually do (e.g. Gunslinger is OK because guns make sense in mid-1700s setting; Alchemist is OK because of the beginnings of organized chemistry, and Investigator by extension and also for proto-Holmes stuff; Vigilante... just seems more OK in a 1700s setting than a Shakespeareish one, etc.)

Thoughts? It's still something of a fledgling idea, in that I've just finished worldbuilding about one of the planned fifteen kingdoms or so, but I want to make sure this isn't a bad idea right off the bat.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 08:20:17 pm by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: June 01, 2016, 08:21:03 pm »

A continent between Australia and what?

So the players would have to make a level 15 character for a one-shot session, then make a completely different character?

Why does the  introstory have to be cliched?

Didn't you mention your previous games failed because you overreached?

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: June 01, 2016, 08:33:05 pm »

That seems a bit much, yeah.

An alternating plot, however...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #2637 on: June 01, 2016, 08:35:44 pm »

So, I scrapped Viking D&D for another idea.

I started off by building a much more expansive world, with a continent roughly halfway in size between Australia and Europe. I plan on having around fifteen or so kingdoms, each containing several principalities, duchies, baronies, and the like, and these kingdoms are split between five distinct ethnic groups. My goal of creating a more realistic image of feudalism is in no way influenced by Crusader Kings.

The basic idea of this game is that the players start off with an adventure that places them as level 15 or so heroes, in a setting with a technology level roughly equivalent to the late 1500s; the idea of this particular adventure is that it's one of those stereotypical heroic dungeon crawls and hits every cliché in the book up until the ending.

The revelations made in this one-shot adventure are a setup for the plot of the real game, set about 250 years afterward, where the players play as the distant descendants of their original characters in a sorta-steampunk setting, where the actions undertaken by the characters in the first adventure are shown to have far-reaching consequences because of villainous scheming and such.

Oh, and it would be Pathfinder, because the character classes in vanilla Pathfinder are more in line with the setting I have in mind than they usually do (e.g. Gunslinger is OK because guns make sense in mid-1700s setting; Alchemist is OK because of the beginnings of organized chemistry, and Investigator by extension and also for proto-Holmes stuff; Vigilante... just seems more OK in a 1700s setting than a Shakespeareish one, etc.)

Thoughts? It's still something of a fledgling idea, in that I've just finished worldbuilding about one of the planned fifteen kingdoms or so, but I want to make sure this isn't a bad idea right off the bat.
I recommend the Challanger RPG for that, it supports a lot of roleplaying and open expansive worlds

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: June 01, 2016, 08:42:52 pm »

I fixed the typos, sorry about that; I got caught up in something else and assumed I'd finished the post when I came back :v
So the players would have to make a level 15 character for a one-shot session, then make a completely different character?
I wasn't entirely sure whether or not this was a good idea and the main reason I made this post. I personally like coming up with characters, but I wasn't sure if I'd find somebody else interested in this kind of thing.

But yes, the basic gist of the narrative would be that the players fight this BBEG briefly in the past, as a prologue of sorts. Not something that would take so little time as to not justify creating a character, but not the main event, either. I want to do this more to build the narrative than for exciting monstersmashing and dungeoncrawling; I don't want to reveal too many of the ideas I've had for this yet, but I think it would support the plot in a more interesting manner than introducing a bad guy and retroactively making him part of some quarter-millennium conspiracy.

Maybe I should just have them roll up level 1 characters and -pretend- they're super-powerful by loading them up with free uber-gear? It'd save time. Not to mention I was thinking of forcing gentleman's agreements on magic-type characters for both parts, partially because the religion of the setting explicitly forbids magic and considers it the root of all evil, and partially to stop the game from getting too easy.
Why does the introstory have to be cliched?
To make the twist at the end more of a surprise, of course.

Although I guess that point is kinda lost now :|
Didn't you mention your previous games failed because you overreached?
In retrospect, the biggest reason I think my previous games failed is because I'm really unhappy with the settings I made back then; I don't think I really developed a sense of scale for these kinds of things until recently (and I also didn't really get a grasp on how feudalism worked until recently, either.) But yeah I did overreach before, but that wasn't so much a case of making things too big to handle, it was more of a case of not planning ahead nearly enough. My most ambitious game was probably my best, really; the issue with that one was that I was still getting a grasp on DMing and made a lot of really ridiculous decisions.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: June 01, 2016, 08:53:01 pm »

The issues with making 15 highly detailed kingdoms are:
1 - variation. It's going to take a lot of variation to make 15 full kingdoms worth of unique aspects and traits. If they're all very samey, you might as well trim the fat
2 - writing fatigue. If it takes so much effort, it's a way to kill motivation very easily, especially if there isn't a hge variation in kingdoms.
3 - player overload, Players would, presumably, have to read and learn about hte different kingdoms to make a best fit for their character, and that's a huge amount of stuff to trawl through
4 - conservation of detail. If you've got loads of places, most of them will never be visited or discussed in any meaningful manner. Might as well have less but more distinct locations.

You could just have the dramatic conflict with the big bad down throough backstory, I guess? Provide a frame and players fill in how they acted, and you build from that.

And yeah, you kinda shot yourself in the foot with that plot twist idea, now.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 238