Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407014 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2115 on: March 03, 2015, 02:05:49 pm »

I hope there's an option to have cheesy commentators describe your matches. Outrageous puns, bloodthirsty cheering and mockery, nicknames, etc. are a must.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: March 03, 2015, 10:41:52 pm »

I hope there's an option to have cheesy commentators describe your matches. Outrageous puns, bloodthirsty cheering and mockery, nicknames, etc. are a must.
Yes.

And yeah, it's easier to follow now. Still concerned about the amount of stuff, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: March 03, 2015, 10:54:01 pm »

It does look rather complex but you guys will likely only have... two or three guys in the beginning so you'll get a chance to acclimate to it. Is there anything in particular that seems to be 'too much'?
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: March 03, 2015, 11:12:35 pm »

Not in particular, no. It just looks intimidating all together like that.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: March 10, 2015, 06:49:16 pm »

Kinda want to start a game. Unsure whether I'd be able to grab enough time for it, but I have several ideas and am not sure which one to do, and they all have issues.

Spoiler: Idea the First (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Idea the Second (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Idea the Third (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Idea the Fourth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Idea the Fifth (click to show/hide)

Criticism welcome.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 09:25:14 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2120 on: March 10, 2015, 06:57:41 pm »

I said it before and I'll say it again: I'd be happy to donate some of my time to making maps or sprites for FFT on forums.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: March 14, 2015, 07:19:03 pm »

I had an idea for a "User Above You" type game akin to Corrupt a Wish: Forum Trial. The idea is that the OP makes a "statement" as the "judge" about the "facts" of the "case", and the posters (who are everybody who shows up) argue over inconsequential things made up on the spot (ideally using this.) It never ends and is simply intended to be a source of silly humor like Rate [Aspect] of the Person Above You or Weaponize It.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: March 15, 2015, 03:17:43 am »

So I've come up with an idea for an XCOM-like game. It's the future and Earth has been taken over by something (in my head it's Hell) and almost everyone is dead. The only survivors live on a ship in space (at least in the hundreds). Because of reasons, the tech level on the ship isn't very high so there are occasional excursions to Earth are made in order to retrieve tech, bring back resources, or both, and this is the job of the players. As mentioned before, though, Hell has taken over and demonic artifacts might be found by the players. While these artifacts can make a player rather powerful, it also leaves them open to demonic possession, whether on the battlefield after something particularly traumatic or while asleep on the ship. This should provide some interesting conflict for the players between themselves and the rest of the ship's inhabitants.

That's the core idea. I'm thinking over a bunch of other stuff I can include and I may present them for comment but for now I'd like opinions on the core game.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 03:20:31 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2123 on: March 15, 2015, 03:31:13 am »

Isn't flying to Earth and back expensive? Escape takes a lot of energy.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 04:26:59 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: March 15, 2015, 04:15:28 am »

Isn't flying to Earth and back expensive? Re-entry and escape take a lot of energy.
Well, without a space elevator, it sure would take a lot of energy. On the other hand, the moon has an abundance of helium, and far less gravity. So, either having a facility on the moon, or just making the transport magi-tech based would solve this problem in a neat enough way that it is quite congruent with physics and plot.

Actually, I'd second magi-tech, as it could serve as easy plot generator, and gives a couple of additional character / skill and even equipment choices.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2125 on: March 15, 2015, 04:26:28 am »

Or maybe there's some kind of unobtanium on Earth, and every time you make a run for supplies you need to grab some in order to get home.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: March 15, 2015, 05:01:20 am »

Concerning flying to Earth and back being expensive I'd definitely put a cost to taking the Skyranger to provide incentive for using cheap, disposable drop pods instead at the cost of higher enemy presence on landing.

As for making a facility of the moon, that's impossible due to a demonic force field in between the Earth and the Moon, except it's made out of lightning and death instead of an energy wall. There has to be a very good reason why the survivors go down to Earth to get their fuel instead of the moon and that's what I've come up with.

Magitek is definitely out, I'm afraid. It partly has to do with my limited experience with the subject but mostly it's so that there's a reason for players to pick up demon stuff rather than use normal magic. I'm thinking the tech they find on Earth could be used to expand skill/equipment options, maybe in magic-like ways.

(Ninja'd.)

Or maybe there's some kind of unobtanium on Earth, and every time you make a run for supplies you need to grab some in order to get home.
This could be another reason why humans don't just go to the moon for fuel. A fuel run probably won't be necessary every time the players go down but it will be necessary every once in a while. I'm thinking that on those fuel runs a big ship will be brought down to retrieve it and attract more enemies somehow. During these events, the players can choose to bring some NPC troops with them to back them up at the risk of permanently losing them.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 05:17:53 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2127 on: March 15, 2015, 01:56:29 pm »

If the bad guys can make a giant forcefield out of spacemagic to prevent them from escaping why can't they just blow them up? No, you don't need to justify why they don't leave. There's nowhere to go, the only place humans can survive is Earth, Earth is the cradle of mankind, they want Earth back! Let the players have the moon, they can waste a turn harvesting resources from there if they haven't the fuel to make a run to Earth. Building a small base there would be fun too, and it would make sense. The demons can't mess with space, they're landlocked, it's humanity's only advantage.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: March 15, 2015, 05:20:44 pm »

That bit about wasting a turn to get moon resources could work. If moon-mining is included then I'd have to make the fuel-harvesting a constant thing that happens regardless of the player's involvement. I'm worried that making moon-harvesting a possibility could take the focus away from Earth and will just have the players wait it out rather than take risky missions to get more fuel from Earth.

I think I should mention a few things about the world. You know how in XCOM you have to wait a few days scanning the world before you can do any missions? In this game there'll be a similar mechanic but relying on a different thing. The whole world has been smothered in a cover of clouds of lightning and/or death. Occasionally, the clouds break up every once in a while which'll allow the players access to the surface. Once there, the players have a limited amount of time to complete their objective before the hole gets covered again and they're trapped on the ground forever. Some of the tech they find or develop can be used to prevent this event from being an automatic failure state.

The cloud cover appeared when Hell invaded and is the reason why so relatively few people managed to get off-world.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: March 15, 2015, 06:03:29 pm »

Well, even if humans have the moon, any other resources except "energy", iron and aluminium will be hard to come by. Oh, and silicates. Fancy, that. While oxygen and water scrubbers can take the brunt of the resource needs off, and there are a ton of artifical satelites that can be salvaged for rarer metals, thats pretty much it. Asteroid mining is also possible in theory, but practically extremely tedious, and who knows if our crafts can even reach that far. ;3

That cloud sounds like it might have a hefty upkeep of magical nature. Maybe some missions could deal with disrupting whatever maginations keep it up and running over certain areas... Obviously the clouds ought to break at the outer edges of reach of such an installation, making that one hell of a mission - pun intended.

Getting back at the energy, fusion reactors of now are plagued by extreme wear, and we aren't even close to helium helium fusion. I'm not sure what kind of materials humanity might come up with in the future, but I doubt fusion reactors will become terribly long-lived installations any time soon. So yeah, getting replacements, or materials to build them is also something that can be made about as important as you would like.

Since there are concrete plans to make an outpost on the moon the coming decade or so, there even could already be a scientific base up there from the get-go of the plot. The specifics are obviously up to your own discretion, just pointing it out is all.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 238