Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407028 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2085 on: February 19, 2015, 07:36:10 pm »

I remember him being poorly implemented in a very poor sequel and twisted in such a way to force him to commit a terrorist act for no good reason whatsoever.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: February 19, 2015, 07:58:24 pm »

In this game, possession would be a separate thing from hosting, and far more injurious.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: February 19, 2015, 07:59:19 pm »

In this game, possession would be a separate thing from hosting, and far more injurious.
Yeah, but the way you describe it is pretty much how it worked I believe.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: February 19, 2015, 08:37:17 pm »

Anybody willing to help me with some combat and other systems for a titan fall game I want to run?
It will be an SG in the form of a world war scale battlefield (night rub it like player gamer's world war game in which case it will be a multiplayer) using mechs and foot soilders.
Playing/knowing about the game Titan fall would probably help understand some of it's mechanics.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: February 20, 2015, 07:42:07 pm »

Alright, I started Dueling Blades as I said I was going to do earlier. We need 1 more player. It's a full-on tabletop game, though less complex than most. Thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148617.0
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 05:15:23 pm by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: February 23, 2015, 10:28:03 pm »

I have a pretty simple idea for a rpg
The idea is each player would start out with 2-6 powers from the supperpower wiki (exact amount depends upon potantcy of abilities) and would gain more for accomplishing various tasks , or killing other players.
I am wondering two things 1. How much intrest is there for a game like this
2. What kind of mechanics should I use for how the powers interact.
3.if this is too complicated for my first time being a gm

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: February 24, 2015, 02:34:32 pm »

The idea is each player would start out with 2-6 powers from the supperpower wiki (exact amount depends upon potantcy of abilities) and would gain more for accomplishing various tasks , or killing other players.

Well then, since you asked, here comes my humble opinion. Dis/regard at your own leisure. ;3

1: Existing interest is relative - by making a game interesting enough, you can plainly create interest among bay12 by yourself. I'd actually say that "super/natural power" is somewhat of an established trope, so what kind of plot you build around it, would be the more important point.

2: I'd advise to keep it simple. Like, a character only being able to be affected by ~2 effects at once. If another, new effect, comes along, just make a save roll for the existing one/s, possibly according to the "potency" stat of the caster/s.

3: How complicated it becomes, really depends on yourself. Again, less is more. To give a - somewhat - exaggerated example; If you plan to roll each round for 1. Initiative 2.Hitchance 3.Dodgechance 4.Damage-range 5. Blocking/Resistance 6. Bonus effects, that netts you 12 rolls per round for a single attack, from 2 combatants. As soon as there is a larger scale battle with npc's, like a 4v4, or four players doing "their thing somewhere", that translates into a whooping ~44 rolls for each round. That is tedious, especially as it is, indeed, only a somewhat exaggerated example.

Seeing as you are playing with the pvp thought, Initiative might stay in 1. Hit / Dodge, also; 2,3. And the damage-range, for which a crit is only applied on a natural max roll, 4. There is also the possibility of taking the difference between hit and dodge, and to use that for the damage-range... but, really, just rolling it is easier in my book. So, 8 rolls for each round of combat.

All in all, if you are unsure if this could be too tedious for you, maybe trying with 3 players, but no more than 4 should do the trick. Starting, that is - you can always expand further at a later date.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: February 24, 2015, 07:00:31 pm »

Well then, since you asked, here comes my humble opinion. Dis/regard at your own leisure. ;3

1: Existing interest is relative - by making a game interesting enough, you can plainly create interest among bay12 by yourself. I'd actually say that "super/natural power" is somewhat of an established trope, so what kind of plot you build around it, would be the more important point.

2: I'd advise to keep it simple. Like, a character only being able to be affected by ~2 effects at once. If another, new effect, comes along, just make a save roll for the existing one/s, possibly according to the "potency" stat of the caster/s.

3: How complicated it becomes, really depends on yourself. Again, less is more. To give a - somewhat - exaggerated example; If you plan to roll each round for 1. Initiative 2.Hitchance 3.Dodgechance 4.Damage-range 5. Blocking/Resistance 6. Bonus effects, that netts you 12 rolls per round for a single attack, from 2 combatants. As soon as there is a larger scale battle with npc's, like a 4v4, or four players doing "their thing somewhere", that translates into a whooping ~44 rolls for each round. That is tedious, especially as it is, indeed, only a somewhat exaggerated example.

Seeing as you are playing with the pvp thought, Initiative might stay in 1. Hit / Dodge, also; 2,3. And the damage-range, for which a crit is only applied on a natural max roll, 4. There is also the possibility of taking the difference between hit and dodge, and to use that for the damage-range... but, really, just rolling it is easier in my book. So, 8 rolls for each round of combat.

All in all, if you are unsure if this could be too tedious for you, maybe trying with 3 players, but no more than 4 should do the trick. Starting, that is - you can always expand further at a later date.
ok thanks

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: February 24, 2015, 08:40:33 pm »

Not a specific game as such, but designing systems. Which I am pretty inexperienced with. Anyone RPG-savvy want to take a look?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148720.0;topicseen
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: February 26, 2015, 02:41:27 pm »

So I'm working on a forum game based on a board game right now. I'm still running my suggestion game, so I can't cobble up a test game to refine my ideas right now.

Dusk & Dawn is a board game which is intended to be a copy of the commercial board game Shadow Hunters. It is best described as a Mafia deathmatch.

In the game, the players are divided into three factions. The Dusk champions and the Dawn champions are two opposing factions that will win if the players of the opposite factions are all dead. The Neutral champions have their own objective which they must fulfill. If a Neutral champion wins, it generally means everyone else loses, save for some exceptions. A Neutral champion tend to be more powerful than other champions.

The players are given random characters which they must play. At the start of the game, no one will know whose side the others are on, or which character they are.

Each champions have their own abilities which they can use. However, most of the time using their ability will force them to reveal themselves. Apart from their ability, the players can rely on randomly drawn cards which they can pick, depending on their location.

Red cards are mostly attack spells and items. Blue cards are defense spells and items. Green cards are special cards which the players can send to other players to hopefully determine their faction.

The green cards are generally conditional (only work if the receiver is in certain faction(s)).

Team distribution

The game require at least 5 players. There is always only one Neutral character. If there are more than 4 players in the Dusk and Dawn factions, a player from each faction will get a Leader-class champion.

Environment:

At the start of the player's turn, they roll a 2d6. The result determine their environment, and thus what they can do.

2-4: Churchyard - Draw a blue card
5-7: Cemetery - Draw a red card
8-10: Observatory - Draw a green card
11: Underground Tunnels - Draw any colour of card
12: Warehouse - Steal a player's item

Character creation:

Since the game is still in development, I need some ideas for characters.

Name:
Faction:
Objective (if Neutral):
Damage Threshold: Note that a weapon should deal around 3 damage. 10 DT is decent, 16 DT is high.
Ability:
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: February 26, 2015, 03:35:46 pm »

Perhaps an objective for a neutral player could be to prevent anyone from dying for x consecutive turns? Or maybe have x teamkills occur?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: February 26, 2015, 04:46:07 pm »

The first objective sounds like it'd either end the game really fast or make things weird.

I suppose that preventing either side from winning for a large number of turns might be interesting, though.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: February 28, 2015, 06:08:50 pm »

I probably should have mentioned it when you first posted this, but this reminds me of ICONS.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: March 01, 2015, 04:53:34 pm »

I had a Gladiator game some time ago... I've changed several things and I think I want to run it again. here's what I got so far. Any thoughts?

Gladiators of Nevendaar – Gladiatorial Management Game

Flavor Flavor Flavor

So you want to run a gladiator school in a managerial position? It is quite simple. First familiarize yourself with the rules regarding: Schools, Gladiators, Turns, and Battle. After that simply fill out the sheet you acquired at the Registrar’s and submit it to the Registrar. Then, you will be the proud owner of one of the many gladiator schools in the region.

Spoiler: School Stats (click to show/hide)

Let’s take a look at an example school:
Quote from: Example
School Name: The Example School for Exempler Examples
School Titles: The Tin Medal
Money: 600gp
Roster: [1/1]
[This is where the Gladiators of your school will appear. They will appear in quotes within a single "Roster" spoiler. If a statistic doesn’t apply to a gladiator it will usually not show up.]
Spoiler: Gladiator stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Turn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Services (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Battle (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: League Types (click to show/hide)

After reading the manual several times you decide that, Yes, you do want to start a gladiator school. IN FACT, you just can’t wait to get started. So you quickly glance over the form before filling it out.

Quote from: The Sign-Up Sheet
Lord Name: Your Name here
School Name: School Name Here
School History: Please fill out...
Personal History: Please fill out...
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: March 01, 2015, 04:56:32 pm »

All that gladiator information is way too important to squash into an acronym tag.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 238