Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407187 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1965 on: January 19, 2015, 01:55:51 pm »

What I learned from Age of Fire (My own Godhood game): you get a fair amount of players. Then you halve that. That is your end player count. It's a shame, but it's very hard to tell what players are reliable. Doing some research on your potential players might be advisable, but might be a lot of work.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: January 20, 2015, 08:49:03 am »

Yes, well, I've lost far more than half my players. I'm more concerned with how to get more.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: January 20, 2015, 10:09:59 am »

Well, the way I see it, the greatest problem for multi-player games are the different timezones.

Players that don't contribute / enough can be sorted out fairly quickly, but waiting for the other guy - be it gm or player - who is on another quarter of the globe, just slows down the pace extremely. Like just now, I posted an action in flaborts 100 tile run - about 12 hours after his last post. Couldn't have done it any sooner. And those 12 hours, are still a quite good time.

Truth be told, after trying multi-player games twice, I don't think there will be a third try anytime soon. Well, that or suggestion games just sit much better with me.

Yes, well, I've lost far more than half my players. I'm more concerned with how to get more.

Well then, I flew over close to the last 10 pages of your united assembly game. Can't say that I read it thorougly, nor that my advice has much worth to it, so take all that follows with a grain of salt.

To put it simply, it seems like a game where players bicker with each other over... stuff. If they bicker good enough, or get favourable deals with their peers, the situation of their choosen faction gets better.

The concept itself - political intrigue - is not bad, but if I were to compare it to others I have seen of the same sort, the stakes aren't that high, and each and any interaction seems like it needs to be wrangled through with the other players.

What could make the game more interesting, would be to give the players another "turn", where their fate is left up to your dice, scenarios and own decisions therein. Something like... space pirates trouble the trading routes of faction 1. Faction 2 finds an expansive helium deposit. Faction 3 is being blackmailed by an unknown stranger. Just some things where they can act "on their own", and which can lead to greater success - or failure, depending on which kind of scenario the dice gave them.

By doing so, they don't have to wait 3 days to finish a discussion with the other players, but still gain the chance to rise above them.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: January 20, 2015, 10:26:24 am »

This is why I'm beginning to prefer live action roleplays. Even IRC. Forum roleplays are nice in concept, but you have to be either active all the time or spend so much time waiting you forget about it.
I wish there was less of a dislike for IRC roleplays. It's nice when two people can have banter without having to be online all the time or be somewhere in person.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: January 20, 2015, 04:12:49 pm »

Yeah, I love my RP to pieces but it's so rare to have the pace pick up.

Say, anyone interested in doing an IRC RP at around 5PM Pacific Standard time?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: January 20, 2015, 04:14:23 pm »

Around what time would that be in GMT+0?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: January 20, 2015, 04:14:53 pm »

I have a game I want to run in a month or so (same from a page ago) but I don't want looting to be the main bit of it, I want it to be more mission completing and diplomatic visits here and there, should I just give the players pretty good weapons from the begining or have them get them as they progress as rewards?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: January 20, 2015, 04:18:22 pm »

Around what time would that be in GMT+0?
About 4 hours from now. As of this post the time is X:18, 1:18 PM in my timezone.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: January 20, 2015, 04:19:34 pm »

Would this be today or...? Because I may be interested depending on your answer.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: January 20, 2015, 04:20:25 pm »

Today, yes. Because tomorrow I have course writing to do. I can do it another day if no one can do it today, though.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: January 20, 2015, 04:21:56 pm »

Hmm...
Would you be able to move it back even 1 hour? I may be able then, otherwise it's up in the air.
What would the RP be about, anyway?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: January 20, 2015, 04:25:53 pm »

So, 6PM rather than 5? Alright.

The idea I had was everyone is a trickster deity, all meeting up (incognito) in a cafe to plan some hijinks.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: January 20, 2015, 04:27:03 pm »

4PM actually.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: January 20, 2015, 04:27:38 pm »

I have a game I want to run in a month or so (same from a page ago) but I don't want looting to be the main bit of it, I want it to be more mission completing and diplomatic visits here and there, should I just give the players pretty good weapons from the begining or have them get them as they progress as rewards?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: January 20, 2015, 04:29:29 pm »

4PM actually.
Perhaps, but IDK if I'll be done with my work by then. That's 40 minutes after I finish with class for today, and I'll need some time to set up. We'll see, though.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 238