Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407244 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1920 on: December 27, 2014, 08:59:14 pm »

So.

I have had one more idea for a D&D 3.5 game.

It's not your average dungeon crawler, a legend of ancient heroes fighting a terrible beast from the beginning of time, or a story of warriors who wandered the land to master their own fates.

It's about war. War is hell. It has been one hundred and seven years since the fall of Gemodor, and no kingdom has dared to reclaim its lost expanses, fearful of the corrupting magic that wrought its end. The country of Sarium has invaded lands of the kingdom Atissa, and the PCs are a conscripted mercenary group, tasked with mowing down armies of soldiers--some mere conscripted farmers who could barely wield a pitchfork in their own profession, others generals who have seen countless battles--to regain the occupied land. The PCs, once noticed by generals in the army, are tasked with increasingly dangerous jobs--perhaps jobs that would push them beyond their limits, beyond what they know. Beyond the point of return. But it is the life they must lead.

Sound interesting?
This does sound very interesting, actually. I doubt I'd be able to get a sheet out in time, but yeah. I would totally go for that.
Excellent, support. This isn't going to be too terribly long (ten levels, tops); what starting level do you think would be best? I was thinking three to five.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: December 27, 2014, 09:00:28 pm »

So.

It's not your average dungeon crawler, a legend of ancient heroes fighting a terrible beast from the beginning of time, or a story of warriors who wandered the land to master their own fates.

It's about war. War is hell. It has been one hundred and seven years since the fall of Gemodor, and no kingdom has dared to reclaim its lost expanses, fearful of the corrupting magic that wrought its end. The country of Sarium has invaded lands of the kingdom Atissa, and the PCs are a conscripted mercenary group, tasked with mowing down armies of soldiers--some mere conscripted farmers who could barely wield a pitchfork in their own profession, others generals who have seen countless battles--to regain the occupied land. The PCs, once noticed by generals in the army, are tasked with increasingly dangerous jobs--perhaps jobs that would push them beyond their limits, beyond what they know. Beyond the point of return. But it is the life they must lead.

Sound interesting?
This does sound very interesting, actually. I doubt I'd be able to get a sheet out in time, but yeah. I would totally go for that.
Excellent, support. This isn't going to be too terribly long (ten levels, tops); what starting level do you think would be best? I was thinking three to five.
Five. You must be as badass as possible obviously!

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: December 27, 2014, 09:54:38 pm »

So.

Sound interesting?
Five. You must be as badass as possible obviously!
Alright, time to make a level five character with 4 levels in commoner and one level in monk
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: December 27, 2014, 10:00:03 pm »

So I discovered the 5th edition Basic Rules (which is only four classes and three races) is completely free on the Official Website. I've been told it's "Not actually all that bad" by both fans of 3.5 and 4e, and if it pleases BOTH those groups, then it must be doing something right.

So I want to give it a try. Of course it would be nice to have all the other races and classes, but the fact that these ones are free, no pirating?

Well, I'm feeling like reading over these rules, and I'm gonna run y'all a game once I'm ready.

Ninja'd: Yes, Kassire. I think that would be perfect! If your GM uses tier-fixing-by-way-of-extra-stats, it will be godly!
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: December 27, 2014, 10:01:09 pm »

Ninja'd: Yes, Kassire. I think that would be perfect! If your GM uses tier-fixing-by-way-of-extra-stats, it will be godly!
I'm tempted, but...
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: January 02, 2015, 11:58:02 pm »

I guess I'm ready... let's do this.
The Cyan Menace

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: January 04, 2015, 03:29:40 pm »

Well then, I am currently in the process of slowly putting together a kind of "Choose your own adventure" game. You know, like the books with the branching plot-lines, with the players on here able to choose which action leads to page xy. (Really loved those as a kid, you know? ;3 )

Disregarding the plot, I am a bit torn on how to handle the branching. If left to the players, I guess they would focus on one storyline, and only switch to another when one of those lines becomes "doomed".

What I want to achieve though, is that the game and it's posts become somewhat like a maze - just like the books are. As in – you can't read it in "one stretch", but have to follow the paths.

To that end, I would make a limit to the possible "branches" of each "page", but I also play with the thought of having them choose a branch for a "page" of my choosing each 2 or 3 "turns".

Any thoughts on the matter would be welcome.

For those interested, the main inspiration for this would come from a game about half a year ago, where someone tried something similar. Plot was basically that the dragon-captured princess tried to free herself. Can't seem to find it though.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: January 04, 2015, 03:47:20 pm »

I had one of those books. It was themed after Roller Coaster Tycoon.
I read it so much that the pages separated from the binding and the book was pretty much destroyed after three months.
The Cyan Menace

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: January 05, 2015, 03:20:42 am »

I still have one of those CYOA books. I still play it every once in a while.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: January 05, 2015, 05:16:40 am »

Thinking about it, I'm quite positive my first one was - of all possible, glorious things - Jurassic Park Franchise. Obviously you got killed by dinosaurs at least on a solid third of all possible ends.

After reading it multiple times, I went on to devour anything of sorts that we had in the school library. Mostly supernatural stuff like Vampire Attack, Werewolf Attack, Haunted castle and stuff. Even read / played an odd one that was a high-fantasy rpg, where you occasionaly had to roll for combat, track your hp, and so on. ... actually, that has to be the first rpg I ever played! Oh boy.

Either way, those books were solid work. I would think it is mainly the pacing - enough to get one immersed in the story, but not too wordy. Quick changes of plot and scenery, none of which were superfluous, but all played into the next branching plotlines instead. Something along these lines.

Not sure if I can emulate that style, but what I have planned for now is a consecutive storyline that the plot will follow even in the Protagonist's absence. Basically none of the events are truly random, but are either going to happen from the start, or happen as a result of player choices. Only random thing would be how good the character handles or evades in these situations.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: January 06, 2015, 01:56:53 pm »

So.

Sound interesting?
So, is this gonna go ahead or is playing a DnD campaign merely going to stay on of my dreams, up there running a decent game?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: January 06, 2015, 03:40:50 pm »

I'll have it up sometime before the end of the week. I wanted to write personalized character sheets for the villains.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: January 07, 2015, 06:20:28 pm »

So.

It's about war.

Thinking about it... I might do a Knight for this one. Could be interesting.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: January 07, 2015, 06:33:44 pm »

Had an idea for a space game the other day:

The players are on a ship headed on an expedition into "The Dark Star," a huge event horizon that seems to have far less mass than a black hole should have. Nothing that's gone into it has ever been heard from again, though aside from probes no one's ever intentionally flown into it. Might be some alien races already planned for the space setting in which the dark star exists, but players are encouraged to make their own, like in many space games. In fact, to encourage creativity, no Earthlings allowed. No humans, modified humans, uplifted Earth species, nada.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1934 on: January 07, 2015, 07:17:12 pm »

Had an idea for a space game the other day:

The players are on a ship headed on an expedition into "The Dark Star," a huge event horizon that seems to have far less mass than a black hole should have. Nothing that's gone into it has ever been heard from again, though aside from probes no one's ever intentionally flown into it. Might be some alien races already planned for the space setting in which the dark star exists, but players are encouraged to make their own, like in many space games. In fact, to encourage creativity, no Earthlings allowed. No humans, modified humans, uplifted Earth species, nada.
Dooo eeeeet.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 238