Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407090 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2175 on: March 24, 2015, 07:26:36 pm »

Who doesn't like mech games? This reminds me, I really should update my own...
I'd like to drop out of that game. Too much RP and not enough gameplay.
You...could actually tell him that -in his game- instead of doing that in a public thread. It has bad implications other than a well-meaning intent or request of leave, just to poke. (Though it is and sounds benign :) Just poking at the probable way it would sound...otherwise)

...Because it'd lead to discussion. Which is better to bring up in the specified thread, for one.
That, and addressing 'that' game instead of 'your' game sounds a lot like distancing. But that's a darker side of the coin...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:59:44 pm by Tiruin »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: March 24, 2015, 07:43:07 pm »

Who doesn't like mech games? This reminds me, I really should update my own...
I'd like to drop out of that game. Too much RP and not enough gameplay.

To-too much RP?!?

What kind of madman are you!?!
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: March 24, 2015, 07:44:18 pm »

Reminds me.

OI! STIRK!

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: March 24, 2015, 07:52:22 pm »

I don't see how that's extremely rude. I mean it's rude, yes, but USEC is in the thread right now.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: March 24, 2015, 07:55:53 pm »

Sorry, USEC. I didn't mean to sound rude or insult you, this just seemed like a convenient place to say it since the other thread was last posted on months ago and you're already "here". I didn't mean to say that it was a bad game either, just that it wasn't to my personal taste, though I enjoyed the gameplay segments a lot. I used 'that' game instead of 'your' game specifically because I wanted to address the game specifically rather than you and because you might've started other games I don't know about. No negative implications intended.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:05:35 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: March 25, 2015, 12:24:03 am »

You know what I just realised? The mech game that USEC was talking about was entirely different to what I was thinking of. The one I played had kaiju XCOM in it. I don't think this changes anything but still.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: March 25, 2015, 12:30:14 am »

Oh yeah, Smurfs game. It could have been good but it was just... not varied enough in the beging for me.

On a side note, my magic girls thing combined with the mecha stuff in my head and resulted in a game that would follow robot ship girl things as they fight for control of the seas and against the evil down below™.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: March 25, 2015, 12:39:29 am »

Oh yeah, Smurfs game. It could have been good but it was just... not varied enough in the beging for me.

On a side note, my magic girls thing combined with the mecha stuff in my head and resulted in a game that would follow robot ship girl things as they fight for control of the seas and against the evil down below™.
So basically Kantai Collection Gaiden?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: March 25, 2015, 12:41:14 am »

Yeah, basically.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: March 25, 2015, 02:34:23 am »

Meaning what? Broad ideas like "alchemy" or "cabalism," or actually making Enchanting a functional, balanced set of concrete values?
Expressions of those types of magic, basically. Assuming we're using Fire, a Direct expression will cast a fireball, an Enchant expression will light a sword on fire, a Scroll expression will record a fire spell in a scroll, etc. (Expressions aren't just limited to one action. Another Direct expression is a fire wall, or something.)
Wouldn't "Direct" be pretty much anything that isn't crafting or maybe trap-laying, then?

This is likewise hard to answer without context, but is there anything neat a spell could do for a player at that point? Heal them, stun enemies, become AoE, reroll 1s, ideally leaning towards "this is an extra effect I don't have difficulty remembering or applying" and away from "this is more numbers and they're awkward to do?" Limiting it to crits or high rolls (or low rolls, as mentioned) could help with both that and keeping it from becoming too powerful.
Well, fireball has a chance to set someone on fire but that's more unique to the whole element rather than just the spell. On being able to use Expert fireballs, the player can put lesser versions of the spell into staves (though this might not be unique to fireball), and a Master fireball explodes. I'd like for the bonus to relate specifically to fireballs so '+1 chance to setting people on fire' won't fit.
I'd probably lean towards spell-specific buffs/debuffs/effects, then, assuming you can make them not a pain to work with. Tracking who's stunned, bleeding, poisoned, and/or a newt at the moment can get old fast.

*loud sighing*

Who likes mech games?
I don't know. I've never actually followed one that didn't crash pretty quickly. :x

To-too much RP?!?

What kind of madman are you!?!
Oh, so y- wait, you are involved in those magical girl megathreads, aren't you.

Well... carry on then.

Better yet, Pacific Rim: Magical Girl Edition.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: March 25, 2015, 02:56:57 am »

Better yet, Pacific Rim: Magical Girl Edition.
But that's a different beast! The world is so good with Nagato, Ayanami and Soryu finally referring to ships again!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: March 25, 2015, 02:58:18 am »

Meaning what? Broad ideas like "alchemy" or "cabalism," or actually making Enchanting a functional, balanced set of concrete values?
Expressions of those types of magic, basically. Assuming we're using Fire, a Direct expression will cast a fireball, an Enchant expression will light a sword on fire, a Scroll expression will record a fire spell in a scroll, etc. (Expressions aren't just limited to one action. Another Direct expression is a fire wall, or something.)
Wouldn't "Direct" be pretty much anything that isn't crafting or maybe trap-laying, then?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. Maybe Familiars or Summoning can be another branch.

This is likewise hard to answer without context, but is there anything neat a spell could do for a player at that point? Heal them, stun enemies, become AoE, reroll 1s, ideally leaning towards "this is an extra effect I don't have difficulty remembering or applying" and away from "this is more numbers and they're awkward to do?" Limiting it to crits or high rolls (or low rolls, as mentioned) could help with both that and keeping it from becoming too powerful.
Well, fireball has a chance to set someone on fire but that's more unique to the whole element rather than just the spell. On being able to use Expert fireballs, the player can put lesser versions of the spell into staves (though this might not be unique to fireball), and a Master fireball explodes. I'd like for the bonus to relate specifically to fireballs so '+1 chance to setting people on fire' won't fit.
I'd probably lean towards spell-specific buffs/debuffs/effects, then, assuming you can make them not a pain to work with. Tracking who's stunned, bleeding, poisoned, and/or a newt at the moment can get old fast.
That's something I can do for mastery over an element as a whole, actually. I've also thought about your idea of rerolling 1s and I think I'm gonna have that with a -1 penalty per roll. If the resultant number is 1 or less, I'll keep rerolling until I have a good number. If the only number possible is a 1 or less, I'll treat it as a 1 because obviously the gods hate that person and they deserve to be punished.

In other news, I've finished up the first few playable races the players will have access to. All rolls are done with a d10. Any balance issues?
Code: [Select]
Humans: +1 divine magic, +1 INT.
 *Orc: +1 STR, +1 combat skills
 *Dryad: Nature magic when in high nature energy areas
 *High Elf: +1 INT
 *Pure: +1 divine magic

Orcs: +2 STR, +2 combat skills, +20% XP gain when competing, -2 INT.

Dryads: Nature magic, regeneration when in high nature energy areas, -2 to everything when in zero nature energy areas.

Dwarves: +3 STR, AGI and SPD halved, +3 crafting, (SPD penalty removed, +2 STR, and INT drops to 0 when health drops to 20% (berserker)).

Great Elf = Orc+Human hybrid
Nature Elf = Dryad+Human hybrid
High Elf = Normal elf

Great Elves: +1 STR, +1 combat skills, +10% XP gain when competing

Nature Elves: Nature magic when in low nature energy areas, better healing when in high nature energy areas

High Elves: +2 INT, +1 AGI

Goblins: -3 STR, SPD halved, INT halved, +2 DEX, +2 stealth.
* The asterisk signifies that that human has X blood in them. Players can choose what ancestor they want.

EDIT: "When competing" means whenever they're in conflict, such as in combat.

EDIT2: High nature areas include forests and swamps, low nature areas include plains and farms, and zero nature areas include cities and wastelands.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:59:54 pm by Andres »

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: March 25, 2015, 11:23:35 am »

Huh. That "Expressions of magic" is a nice idea. Not sure I would like to make every spell into ~5+ ones though. Mad balancing... unless maybe it will always be coupled to the casters magic, which will transfer differently, but inherently the same way to each expression?

Maybe something like this?

Magic: Dmg Multiplier 1,5 - Effect Multiplier 0,7 - Preparation Multiplier 1
Faith: Dmg Multiplier 1 - Effect Multiplier 2 - Preparation Multiplier 1,5
Ritual: Dmg Multiplier 3 - Effect Multiplier 4 - Preparation Multiplier 5
Runes: Dmg Multiplier 2,5 - Effect Multiplier 2 - Preparation Multiplier 3

Allright, I pulled those scores out of thin air. Still, if you balance the "basic attributes" of each expression, the gameplay of casters will be far more fluid, without becoming too unfair. Plus, it is not one big balancing act, where you have to check each new spell through multiple systems, as to not break the same horribly.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: March 25, 2015, 04:42:55 pm »

That idea isn't bad at all. I probably won't do it exactly the way you suggested, especially Ritual (would be non-combat magic) and Faith (relies on a Fire god which doesn't exist), but Magic and Runes is definitely something I can use.

Revealing a bit more stuff about the world and the elements, to those who are interested.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So what's it called when you control another person's living body using magic? Puppetry? Body-controlling?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:33:20 pm by Andres »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: March 25, 2015, 05:56:33 pm »

So what's it called when you control another person's living body using magic? Puppetry? Body-controlling?
Being a dick.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 238