Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407088 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2160 on: March 20, 2015, 02:03:35 am »

I'd also like some help with the gods of the world, specifically their domains. Domains without opposites (Animals, for example) are preferred but not required (Harvest is possible) but strong, universe-binding domains with opposites (such as Chaos and Order) are definitely out.

As for magic, there are three types:
Life
Death
Elemental - Fire, Frost, and Lightning

What I need help with is in making magic that's available to all types of mages such as Enchanting. A word other than 'type' to describe the three...types of magic would be great.

EDIT: There's also Divine magic which is derived from the gods' domains. The gods' domains should be something other than Life, Death, or Elemental.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 02:16:33 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2161 on: March 20, 2015, 04:59:01 pm »

Check out BMM42 and I's Blitzball RPG system. :D We're looking for input and advice.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: March 24, 2015, 07:25:46 am »

Trying to figure out a bonus to give when someone reaches Adept at casting a fireball. On a d10, it'll give the player +2 to teaching the technique to others, but what else should it give?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: March 24, 2015, 09:54:14 am »

I was just thinking of making a magic girl type game. It'd probably have a focus on teaming up with bonuses for having relationships with other MGs.

The setting would probably decide what the main focus would be. The main ideas being a pirate themed one that is lower powered but with more bonuses for friends and items, an urban fantasy that's more about fighting other evil MGs, and then finally a sort of Sci Fi setting that has a lot of mook slaughtering and villain of the week type stuff.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: March 24, 2015, 12:09:09 pm »

I'd also like some help with the gods of the world, specifically their domains. Domains without opposites (Animals, for example) are preferred but not required (Harvest is possible) but strong, universe-binding domains with opposites (such as Chaos and Order) are definitely out.
EDIT: There's also Divine magic which is derived from the gods' domains. The gods' domains should be something other than Life, Death, or Elemental.
Well, what's the point of gods? Just adding additional spell types?

If so, I'd obviously lean towards gaps left behind by the current trio; depending on how you want the world/system to work, you might want the opposite. That said, assuming Life/Death/Elemental has those areas covered and needn't be repeated, we're probably mainly left with more esoteric forces and concepts, like Emotion (or specific emotions), Gravity, Time, Tides, Erosion, and so on, as well as any gaps left behind by the main three, like Earth, Metals, Ash, Water if that's not under Frost, Plants or Growth if they're not under Life, and so on.

Another way to get domains, or at least be inspired to find domains, is to look at what you've got already and see how they fit together. For instance, combine Life and Death. What does that give you? Anything? Regrowth, Cycles, Equivalence, something like that? Might make for good domains, might not. Try again with Death and Elemental, wonder if Death+Lightning is any different from Death+Fire, and so on.

Life
Death

What I need help with is in making magic that's available to all types of mages such as Enchanting.
Meaning what? Broad ideas like "alchemy" or "cabalism," or actually making Enchanting a functional, balanced set of concrete values?

A word other than 'type' to describe the three...types of magic would be great.
Sphere, Domain, Valence, Arc, Path, Sigil, Veil. Made up words like Ukmak or Pel could also work.

Trying to figure out a bonus to give when someone reaches Adept at casting a fireball. On a d10, it'll give the player +2 to teaching the technique to others, but what else should it give?
This is likewise hard to answer without context, but is there anything neat a spell could do for a player at that point? Heal them, stun enemies, become AoE, reroll 1s, ideally leaning towards "this is an extra effect I don't have difficulty remembering or applying" and away from "this is more numbers and they're awkward to do?" Limiting it to crits or high rolls (or low rolls, as mentioned) could help with both that and keeping it from becoming too powerful.

I was just thinking of making a magic girl type game. It'd probably have a focus on teaming up with bonuses for having relationships with other MGs.

The setting would probably decide what the main focus would be. The main ideas being a pirate themed one that is lower powered but with more bonuses for friends and items, an urban fantasy that's more about fighting other evil MGs, and then finally a sort of Sci Fi setting that has a lot of mook slaughtering and villain of the week type stuff.
Friendship Power Pirates sounds hilarious. I notice you specify other evil MGs in Urban Evildoers, which is either a prophetic typo or thinking ahead.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: March 24, 2015, 12:28:09 pm »

I'll admit, I probably wouldn't allow a villainous PC unless they're an anti-villain type. That said, I do know that you guys have unconventional tastes.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: March 24, 2015, 05:54:16 pm »

Well, what's the point of gods? Just adding additional spell types?

If so, I'd obviously lean towards gaps left behind by the current trio; depending on how you want the world/system to work, you might want the opposite. That said, assuming Life/Death/Elemental has those areas covered and needn't be repeated, we're probably mainly left with more esoteric forces and concepts, like Emotion (or specific emotions), Gravity, Time, Tides, Erosion, and so on, as well as any gaps left behind by the main three, like Earth, Metals, Ash, Water if that's not under Frost, Plants or Growth if they're not under Life, and so on.

Another way to get domains, or at least be inspired to find domains, is to look at what you've got already and see how they fit together. For instance, combine Life and Death. What does that give you? Anything? Regrowth, Cycles, Equivalence, something like that? Might make for good domains, might not. Try again with Death and Elemental, wonder if Death+Lightning is any different from Death+Fire, and so on.
That's a bit outdated. I've already thought up the gods and given them their place in the world and everything but thanks anyway.

Life
Death

What I need help with is in making magic that's available to all types of mages such as Enchanting.
Meaning what? Broad ideas like "alchemy" or "cabalism," or actually making Enchanting a functional, balanced set of concrete values?
Expressions of those types of magic, basically. Assuming we're using Fire, a Direct expression will cast a fireball, an Enchant expression will light a sword on fire, a Scroll expression will record a fire spell in a scroll, etc. (Expressions aren't just limited to one action. Another Direct expression is a fire wall, or something.)

This is likewise hard to answer without context, but is there anything neat a spell could do for a player at that point? Heal them, stun enemies, become AoE, reroll 1s, ideally leaning towards "this is an extra effect I don't have difficulty remembering or applying" and away from "this is more numbers and they're awkward to do?" Limiting it to crits or high rolls (or low rolls, as mentioned) could help with both that and keeping it from becoming too powerful.
Well, fireball has a chance to set someone on fire but that's more unique to the whole element rather than just the spell. On being able to use Expert fireballs, the player can put lesser versions of the spell into staves (though this might not be unique to fireball), and a Master fireball explodes. I'd like for the bonus to relate specifically to fireballs so '+1 chance to setting people on fire' won't fit.

I'll admit, I probably wouldn't allow a villainous PC unless they're an anti-villain type. That said, I do know that you guys have unconventional tastes.
A straight-up villainous PC would be awesome! They're loads more fun than the annoying, whining, misunderstood, emo pricks that Bay12 tends to make 'anti-villains'.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: March 24, 2015, 05:57:02 pm »

It wouldn't be.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: March 24, 2015, 06:00:03 pm »

You've made anti-villain character before, haven't you? Sorry, bro.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: March 24, 2015, 06:05:54 pm »

Well, actually I just didn't want to get into an argument about how I think it's none of your damn buissnese how people want to play a character.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: March 24, 2015, 06:07:13 pm »

*loud sighing*

Who likes mech games?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: March 24, 2015, 06:12:54 pm »

What kind of mech game? Dieselpunk isn't really my thing but other types of mechs are pretty cool.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: March 24, 2015, 06:49:23 pm »

Who doesn't like mech games? This reminds me, I really should update my own...

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: March 24, 2015, 07:22:48 pm »

I'd like to drop out of that game. Too much RP and not enough gameplay.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2174 on: March 24, 2015, 07:24:58 pm »

I'd like to drop out of that game. Too much RP and not enough gameplay.
That is insanely rude the way you did that, I hope you realize.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 238