Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New York Senate bill seeks to end anonymous internet posting  (Read 4591 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/york-senate-bill-seeks-end-anonymous-internet-posting-162549128.html

Called an anti-piracy bill but in effect it is an anti-dissent bill. While the government already has ways to investigate, it would assist non-governmental investigative services to more easily target individuals by forcing them to provide information theoretically difficult for the private sector to obtain legally otherwise. Essentially it would assist any individual or institution interested in the content of your forums posts to more easily gather or pay someone else to gather as much information about you as legally possible. While I assume it's been crafted to benefit the many political organizations with millions of dollars to spare to intelligence corporations, I question whether the people behind the bill have considered similar organizations such as the Black Panthers to name one that the introducer's own party seem concerned about since they see them everywhere.

From the link:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Also I did a search for the story title on google and unsurprisingly it is a very popular topic on forums.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 06:00:40 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Re: New York Senate bill seeks to end anonymous internet posting
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 06:29:21 pm »

I certify that I am Sparticus for this comment.

Does this really have a chance?
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:35:18 pm »

The last attempt went down in a flaming heap IIRC.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 07:02:21 pm »

From the Senator's website - it would seem the impetus/excuse behind the bill is cyberbullying.

I'd love to know who gave Senator O'Hara the bribe money to introduce this little gem of legislation.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 07:10:49 pm »

Since this bill isn't all H@ck3rs!!!1!1!0!, I don't think this has a chance of winning.

Unless people actually believe not being anonymous will reduce cyberbullying, in which I can attest to is bullshit, because of the many facebook posts about passive-aggressive arguments I see.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 08:58:34 pm »

Can't we just let the internet be the internet? Y'know, like Chuck-E-Cheese but with hookers and blackjack?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 09:11:37 pm »

I certify that I am Sparticus for this comment.

Does this really have a chance?
No, I'm Sparticus.

And no, too many people in the world will flood them, and I think sound retaliation (that should (have) be(en) expected) would be revealing all their information for everyone else to go nuts on them. Especially if it passes, somehow.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:13:24 pm by Itnetlolor »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 09:22:01 pm »

What if one is homeless or doesn't have a static IP address?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 09:30:13 pm »

What if one is homeless or doesn't have a static IP address?
Look for a dude carrying a laptop? v :P v

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 11:50:23 pm »

Not only is it ridiculous that the lack of anonymity would reduce cyber bullying, or even hacking, but enforcement would be impossible to achieve, too. Most forums are privately owned, can be accessed by anyone and are free. The bill would only affect official government forums, really. As it stands, forum mods will just say, "Yeah, right" and ignore it. If the government imposes monetary punishments for companies that run forums, the forums will suddenly be owned by the guys who run them, not the business, and they're back to square one.

It's just stupid, and it would only affect New York. Who even uses the Internet in New York?
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 12:00:08 am »

As far as I can tell, it being a state bill would mean it would only affect hosts in new york? Seems totally pointless to me, a New York citizen can host a server with a New York clientele in Maryland very easily, or even move their server hosting easily if they're already IN New York. I can't see this having much effect other than to change discourse on government-owned sites and MAYBE drive a little server hosting money to other states if they push it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 12:21:54 am »

Since this bill isn't all H@ck3rs!!!1!1!0!, I don't think this has a chance of winning.

Unless people actually believe not being anonymous will reduce cyberbullying, in which I can attest to is bullshit, because of the many facebook posts about passive-aggressive arguments I see.

Honestly even now I think Cyberbullying is sort of... stupid in it of itself and has been overblown.

But this bill is even dumber so I have no idea why they would want to try do it. Plus it is so abusable.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 02:49:21 am »

Even if it did pass there is zero chance of it ever being seriously enforced.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 02:57:06 am »

Even if it did pass there is zero chance of it ever being seriously enforced.

A method of government enforced censorship the kind that could be used in elections not being used?

I guess I lived on mars.

This bill is FAR too useful for corrupt ends not to be used if it was passed.

Theoboldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 04:38:06 am »

How the heck do they want to enforce this? It's like they have no idea that there actually are websites that aren't hosted in New York, or not even in America. Do those sites have to enforce it too? And the few websites that are created by people in New York can easily find ways around this. It's just another sign of the government having no idea how the internet works.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:39:42 am by Theoboldi »
Pages: [1] 2 3