Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 685877 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3060 on: January 20, 2018, 12:21:10 pm »

How do I make a slashing type attack for a creature?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: January 20, 2018, 12:56:25 pm »

[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token#ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE - here's the attack token wiki page, very helpful for those sorts of things.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: January 20, 2018, 05:50:38 pm »

After testing it appears colonial vermin just cant appear underground, theyll only work aboveground. I also dug through the plants file and can find no missing brackets. I cant exactly search through every file i have because frankly i dont have that much patience or any good way to do it other than by hand
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: January 20, 2018, 05:57:33 pm »

If you're using notepad++ (or something else with a decent search function) you could have it count brackets and see if one file has more [ than ].

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: January 20, 2018, 06:20:45 pm »

I havent been because i only have internet through my cell phone, which cant reliably download new programs or transfer them to install to my computer, but next time i do have wifi ill be sure to download it
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: January 21, 2018, 10:23:16 am »

So now I'm making a whip attack for a different creature, do I want a high contact percent or a low one?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3066 on: January 21, 2018, 04:29:34 pm »

So now I'm making a whip attack for a different creature, do I want a high contact percent or a low one?

Depends is this a bodypart doing the whipping? or a weapon bodypart?
Something like a TAIL whip would be 30-50% of the contact as they wouldn't hit with the WHOLE tail

With a whip like weapon it'd be fairly small like 5-10%

I havent been because i only have internet through my cell phone, which cant reliably download new programs or transfer them to install to my computer, but next time i do have wifi ill be sure to download it

WIth NP++ try making/finding a Regular Expression that will do that for you find the missing bracket

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: January 22, 2018, 12:37:57 pm »

WIth NP++ try making/finding a Regular Expression that will do that for you find the missing bracket

I've got N++ now, but I cant figure out what a regular expression would be or where to "use" one. do you have an example?
I make Spellcrafts!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3068 on: January 22, 2018, 06:36:19 pm »

I've got N++ now, but I cant figure out what a regular expression would be or where to "use" one. do you have an example?

This missing bracket discussion was raised also in the modding discord, Khaos provided the formula/regex
Code: [Select]
\[([^\]])*\[
\[ match a single [

[^\]] match anything other than ]

([^\]])* match any number of things that aren't ], including 0 things

\[ match a single [ There's no missing ]'s

So I recommend opening a few files or all the files and use CTRL-F; You can use 2 options, the normal find, check off the "Regular Expression" in the search mode area, put the above REGEX in the find what, and use Find All in All Opened Documents or hotkey 'O'

or if you don't want to open all the files making a ton of tabs, use the tab "Find in Files" and use the above steps again only you supply the directory of your raws, and choose Find All

These will give you "search results" that you can go through. If nothing comes up then missing bracket is not the issue and back to square 1

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: January 22, 2018, 07:30:45 pm »

Thank you! I managed to use the character count function in the search to find the files with different numbers of brackets, and now I've found and fixed those. The error doesnt show up anymore, but I suspect that's partly because I just created a bunch more plants that I wanted anyway. Anyway, my ducks arent made of cheese anymore and I caught some unclosed tags! Hurray!

edit: I wrote up another plant definition and the game decided guinneafowl must be made of cheese now. Ive verified there arent any missing brackets anywhere now, I have no fucking clue what I've done to deserve this. However, copying them over to a new plant file fixed this. the old one was called plant_eb_subterra.txt and the new one is plant_underground.txt. Is there any reason the game would have a problem with that name?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:31:27 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3070 on: January 24, 2018, 04:25:21 pm »

So, we all know that stress seems to be nearly impossible to agitate dwarves with, due to how minor negative thoughts and how continuous positive thoughts are.
Experimentally, I've tried making it so that alcohol was bone-scaring juice instead. After a single year with no bedrooms, no roof (being rained on), standing in a private tavern outdoors, drinking bone scaring juice, I managed to successfully get ONE dwarf down to "maybe might tantrum level", with visible stress.

It would seem like "mission accomplished", but I'm not exactly sure how proper living and comfort will offset this in the long term. It's also worrying that to get this dramatic effect, I needed to do this...

Does anyone have any other suggestions on offsetting longterm ecstatic dispositions? Part of me is thinking of making an organ that slowly excretes terror-juice into the dwarf's brain whenever they're above a certain stress level, but I'm not sure exactly how.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: January 24, 2018, 09:56:17 pm »

You could make them sweat/cry fear juice upon emotion-having.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3072 on: January 24, 2018, 10:44:55 pm »

You could make them sweat/cry fear juice upon emotion-having.
Tears actually is a good idea. It will sedate dramatically positive emotional states, and agitate normal negative states, as well. On top of it, it won't outright discourage tavern keeping (though I'm looking to keep alcohol nerfed to some degree anyhow).

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3073 on: January 24, 2018, 11:25:52 pm »

So, we all know that stress seems to be nearly impossible to agitate dwarves with, due to how minor negative thoughts and how continuous positive thoughts are.
Experimentally, I've tried making it so that alcohol was bone-scaring juice instead.
Hmm.. haven't really thought about the too-much-positives. Thanks!
Maybe I'll try some nerfs on dwarf patience amounts in OldGenesis. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Attribute#Patience
perhaps willpower impacts tantrums as well?

*uses Crimson Editor's "find in files" to extract "dwarf:" dialogue lines*
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

> Searching for the string 'emotional'... in 2.7 MB of log
(11680,62): Kulet Regostath, manager cancels Clean Patient: Experiencing emotional shock.
(26483,58): Vabok Sengsazir, Tanner cancels Tan a hide: Experiencing emotional shock.
(37111,73): Monom Geshudmorul, Glazer cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Experiencing emotional shock.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:49:55 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3074 on: January 25, 2018, 01:58:05 am »

Experimentally, I've tried making it so that alcohol was bone-scaring juice instead.
Hmm.. haven't really thought about the too-much-positives. Thanks!
Maybe I'll try some nerfs on dwarf patience amounts in OldGenesis. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Attribute#Patience
perhaps willpower impacts tantrums as well?

*uses Crimson Editor's "find in files" to extract "dwarf:" dialogue lines*
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

> Searching for the string 'emotional'... in 2.7 MB of log
(11680,62): Kulet Regostath, manager cancels Clean Patient: Experiencing emotional shock.
(26483,58): Vabok Sengsazir, Tanner cancels Tan a hide: Experiencing emotional shock.
(37111,73): Monom Geshudmorul, Glazer cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Experiencing emotional shock.

There's propensity to stress, which i've cranked up a bit for my dwarf raws. The important thing for me is not necessarily JUST the tantrum states, but the stress value being strong enough that a dwarf displays "stressed" due to their condition.
Currently, I've been adding negative thoughts of various intensity on contact with various bodily fluids. The main one that dwarves will be exposed to is tears for obvious reasons, I just hope that the tears don't make them eternally glum by causing them to cry forever. Or if they do, that the negative morale effect doesn't completely outspeed normal fortress living (it will be a vain struggle to keep them happy otherwise, which is the extreme opposite of the current situation, and not what we want.)
Does anyone know if the severity rating on causing thoughts through syndromes means anything? Setting very high severity seems to have little change to effect, but setting the same effect thirty times results in a relatively powerful increase.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 01:59:54 am by iceball3 »
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 372