Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 683802 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1890 on: July 05, 2016, 05:39:02 am »

Yeah, it's definitely not a thing at all. What behaviors do you associated with semi intelligence? I'm guessing you mean like trolls, which are [INTELLIGENT] with [SLOW_LEARNER].

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: July 05, 2016, 07:36:31 am »

Yeah, it's definitely not a thing at all. What behaviors do you associated with semi intelligence? I'm guessing you mean like trolls, which are [INTELLIGENT] with [SLOW_LEARNER].

Trolls actually only posess [CAN_LEARN] and [SLOW_LEARNER] (which is defunct because it's just [CAN_LEARN] again with the inbuilt skill gain handicap)

Pretty much what's on the creature variational list right there broadly. The variation code is really only meant to be additive and convertable rather than subtracting totally like 'giant' variations.

> Semi-Intelligent [SLOW_LEARNER]
> Utterances (no formal understood language, can be interpreted any which way such as primal grunts, to animalistic howls) [UTTERANCES]
> If it has hands it can open doors [CAN_OPEN_DOORS]
> If it has hands, it can [EQUIP] to use tools and weapons, as well as armour
> No defined pet tags (because from experience it's pretty wonky to import trolls from traders with skills they can't use like woodcarving) but this can be overriden in circumstances for [PET_EXOTIC] for local semi-intelligent workforce training.
> Broad blank personality usually achieved by not giving it one.
> 1 or two pips in a natural combat skill such as fighting to compensate and make them notably more dangerous than their cousins

If this project is intially a success then here's something else to chew over.

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE_VARIATION:MONSTEROUS_INTELLIGENT_BEAST_CASTE]
        [CV_REMOVE_TAG:PET]
        [CV_REMOVE_TAG:PET_EXOTIC]
        [CV_REMOVE_TAG:MOUNT]
        [CV_REMOVE_TAG:MOUNT_EXOTIC]
        [CV_ADD_TAG:ARENA_RESTRICTED]
        [CV_ADD_TAG:SPEECH]
        [CV_ADD_TAG:SUPERNATURAL]
        [CV_ADD_TAG:LAIR]
                [SIMPLE_BURROW:80]
                [WILDNERNESS_LOCATION:20]
        [CV_ADD_TAG:SEMI_MEGABEAST]
        [CV_ADD_TAG:HABIT]
                [COLLECT TROPHIES:100]
                [COOK_PEOPLE:25]
                [COOK_VERMIN:75]
                [USE_ANY_MELEE_WEAPON:100]
                [EAT_BONE_PORRIDGE:100]
        [CV_ADD_TAG:LAIR_HUNTER]
        [CV_ADD_TAG:LOCKPICKER]
        [CV_ADD_TAG:POWER]
        [CV_ADD_TAG:INTELLIGENT]
        [CV_ADD_TAG:PRONE_TO_RAGE]
        [CV_ADD_TAG:FANCIFUL]
        [CV_NEW_TAG:SELECT_CASTE:MONSTEROUS_FEMALE]
[CV_NEW_TAG:CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC:75]
        [CV_NEW_TAG:SELECT_CASTE:MONSTEROUS_MALE]
[CV_NEW_TAG:CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC:75]

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1892 on: July 05, 2016, 07:57:29 am »

Is anyone having fun with [LAIR:SIMPLE_MOUND:50] or [LAIR:SIMPLE_BURROW:50] creatures in adventurer mode?
Related lair hunter habits:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: July 05, 2016, 12:59:35 pm »

Is anyone having fun with [LAIR:SIMPLE_MOUND:50] or [LAIR:SIMPLE_BURROW:50] creatures in adventurer mode?
Related lair hunter habits:

To answer the question, i dont think (from my personal experience anyway) applying a lair type to a 'hero' grants any kind of explicit alternative starting area or anything unique like that.

Also thanks for pointing those raws out. My error log was throwing up complaints about illegal tag usage because id used the habit and lair raws wrongly.

I have a sneaking suspicion that applying it to the caste however changes the entire raw file by ripping out previous entries, so i may have to apply a liberal use of C_TAG and ARG1:(name of caste) in order to get things done conditionally.

Its not straightforward without additional modding tools to identify these trolls, i've tried looking through legends and adventurer mode (unless set to outsider, the presumably semi-sentient trolls take up accommodation in towns and such unintentionally, i havent got much evidence to tell me where the trolls are going and what they are doing) arena mode brought up the interesting concept in that infact 4 additional castes were being created with no set gender from my defined two. (none of them uttered a word in combat, nor could i force them under conditions to say anything particularly, that may just be consequential of utterances)

This comes to me concluding that the information i read up on [USE_CASTE] is ordered wrong or applied wrong within my templates, however there are no error log conflicts so the game is cool with it happening. Im working on tweaking it as i speak. As soon as and if i get to a stage where semi-intelligence is stable, ill begin work on splicing my other variations.

Apologies if im derailing the thread from questions with !!Science!!.

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #1894 on: July 05, 2016, 09:27:15 pm »

Is it possible to make a non-hostile megabeast, or are they automatically hostile?
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: July 06, 2016, 12:21:23 am »

Trying to create all of the creatures from scratch, so I deleted all of them except the wagon. I did only delete creature files, though.
Problem is, the one creature I've made doesn't show up in the arena spawn list, and instead, a random werething does. And trying to spawn it crashes the game.
Here's the Swimmeroon, in case I've done something stupid-

Now, the weird thing is, there's no error log. This is in the newest version.
Er, atleast I think that's right.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: July 06, 2016, 01:55:21 am »

Trying to create all of the creatures from scratch, so I deleted all of them except the wagon. I did only delete creature files, though.
Problem is, the one creature I've made doesn't show up in the arena spawn list, and instead, a random werething does. And trying to spawn it crashes the game.

I've converted it to coding within my quote (the little hash in post-reply next to quotation). The problem from what i can see is that there are unnessecary spaces in your code (in most cases it should be continuous) and you have not defined male & female castes (requirement for fertilisation and laying of eggs) for your animals unless they are asexual. Also they do not have any meaningful body parts (as to say body structure) they literally dont exist because they cannot, they have no body.

Is it possible to make a non-hostile megabeast, or are they automatically hostile?
Mmm, you could try making your own megabeasts/semi-megabeasts then apply [benign] and/or [fleequick] to them (as to being skittish and less inclined to attack and cause meaningful damage) as well as tags to roll them in as common pets (providing the variety you create are not too powerful) with extremely high pet value where they will summarily lose their aggression from being in a civ and are still quite hard to get your hands on.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 01:57:59 am by FantasticDorf »

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: July 06, 2016, 03:14:55 am »

Right off the bat you'll want to add [CREATURE:SWIMMEROON].

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: July 06, 2016, 10:28:55 am »

Right off the bat you'll want to add [CREATURE:SWIMMEROON].

Yeah, I guess that'd probably be a good idea.

I've converted it to coding within my quote (the little hash in post-reply next to quotation). The problem from what i can see is that there are unnessecary spaces in your code (in most cases it should be continuous) and you have not defined male & female castes (requirement for fertilisation and laying of eggs) for your animals unless they are asexual. Also they do not have any meaningful body parts (as to say body structure) they literally dont exist because they cannot, they have no body.

That's odd, because I definitely specified the body, and as far as I can tell I did so correctly. And normally creatures spawn even if they lack sex.

Anywho, thanks to both of ya, I'll go try to fix it now.

EDIT: Your advice did fix it, but I broke it again when I tried to add an attack. I'll figure it out myself, though.

EDIT2: Apparently it wasn't the attack. Now they seem to work half the time, and the other half the game crashes when I try to spawn them.
But when I do spawn two, they fight and everything normally.

EDIT3: Okay, turns out it was because of the [INTELLIGENT] tag. Not sure why, but when the creature has that tag it'll cause the game to crash about half the time.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 01:41:15 pm by ThatZommy »

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: July 06, 2016, 04:11:59 pm »

Okay, so I have a new issue with the Swimmeroon, and I think I've overlooked something really stupid again. It seems that if the Swimmeroon has the CAN_LEARN tag, it'll crash the game about half the time. So either there's a game bug related to that tag (And INTELLIGENT), or for some reason their being capable of learning messes with some other aspect of them that I didn't notice. Any ideas?

Current version of the Swimmeroon-

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: July 06, 2016, 04:32:07 pm »

Intelligent is a mix of [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK] simultaneously but that's hardly indicative of incurring a crash i think. You can stage creature castes asexually but they will not interact to breed with one another (just assuming they have no genitals at all)

I was a little bit worried about you using the creature variation standard tissues instead of modifying in your own tissues, but in retrospect if thats not the problem, then its good enough to pass by. Custom tissues would help to eliminate a lot of uncertainty and give you some control over additional factors such as which organs have arteries and stuff like applying scales to your amphibious fish monstrosities (and let us look in and more readily identify a problem).

(It also doesnt have a biome to spawn it. It literally cannot spawn in the wild for reference's sake, not that you can generate a world without a playable civ race anyway.)

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: July 06, 2016, 04:38:16 pm »

Intelligent is a mix of [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK] simultaneously but that's hardly indicative of incurring a crash i think. You can stage creature castes asexually but they will not interact to breed with one another (just assuming they have no genitals at all)

I was a little bit worried about you using the creature variation standard tissues instead of modifying in your own tissues, but in retrospect if thats not the problem, then its good enough to pass by. Custom tissues would help to eliminate a lot of uncertainty and give you some control over additional factors such as which organs have arteries and stuff like applying scales to your amphibious fish monstrosities (and let us look in and more readily identify a problem).

(It also doesnt have a biome to spawn it. It literally cannot spawn in the wild for reference's sake, not that you can generate a world without a playable civ race anyway.)

They have an entity, so I haven't made them spawn in the wild yet. Although, it seems ya can't have a fort with a creature that can't learn. It immediately "crumbles to it's end"
I'm not entirely certain why CAN_LEARN is causing the game to crash when I attempt to spawn them in, but it is definitely the issue. I tried to spawn them both with and without the tag.
I'm horrible at the tissue/general b_detail_plan stuff, so I left it alone for the time being. But the errorlog doesn't say there's any problem, which it normally does with tissue problems. I've only had a teeth/bite issue and some failed paths in the log, which is making it harder to figure out the problem.

EDIT: Oh, but now that I know what was causing the crashes I can go ahead and set their attacks up correctly again.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 04:40:00 pm by ThatZommy »

draconicDuelist

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [CREATURE:DRAGON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: July 07, 2016, 01:09:33 pm »

I've been puttering around with a custom race for a while now, but now that I'm trying to expand on them, things seem to be breaking in ways that I don't quite understand. However, maybe I can start fixing that from the ground up.
Initially I was trying to figure out how to take a normal creature template (Based on humans for example) and then change all the materials used into another material. There wasn't anything clear on that from the Wiki, so I took from the Bronze Colossus and just made them solid 'material'. After a time, I noticed that certain descriptors weren't appearing when I thought they should, so I added a few body_plan tokens and such, and it appeared to work alright (Of course, I never checked the errorlog, dummy that I am.)
So now world gen isn't working quite right (version 43.03) and as I read through it I see that a lot of things aren't applying due to a lack of bps, and I don't know why they don't exist.
Now I'm thinking it might be better to go back to the first idea, making a normal creature with all the body plans and such, then converting the skin materials to another material, only, I don't know how to correctly do that. I'm considering making a special body plan, but I don't know which things to change to make say, a human with skin made from steel.

I can post my creature file if anyone wants to take a peek and point out what I screwed up.

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: July 07, 2016, 01:25:59 pm »

I've been puttering around with a custom race for a while now, but now that I'm trying to expand on them, things seem to be breaking in ways that I don't quite understand. However, maybe I can start fixing that from the ground up.
Initially I was trying to figure out how to take a normal creature template (Based on humans for example) and then change all the materials used into another material. There wasn't anything clear on that from the Wiki, so I took from the Bronze Colossus and just made them solid 'material'. After a time, I noticed that certain descriptors weren't appearing when I thought they should, so I added a few body_plan tokens and such, and it appeared to work alright (Of course, I never checked the errorlog, dummy that I am.)
So now world gen isn't working quite right (version 43.03) and as I read through it I see that a lot of things aren't applying due to a lack of bps, and I don't know why they don't exist.
Now I'm thinking it might be better to go back to the first idea, making a normal creature with all the body plans and such, then converting the skin materials to another material, only, I don't know how to correctly do that. I'm considering making a special body plan, but I don't know which things to change to make say, a human with skin made from steel.

I can post my creature file if anyone wants to take a peek and point out what I screwed up.

I'm probably the worst person to advise you on this, because I have never been good with the b_detail_plan stuff, but I'm pretty sure I know how to do it.
You find the steel template in one of the inorganic files, for reference. Then ya go into material_template_default, grab the metal template, and mess around with the numbers until it's as similar to steel as possible. Then you can just go into b_detail_plan and copy the standard vertebrate materials, paste them somewhere that is easy to find in the same file, and then replace the SKIN_TEMPLATE with whatever you named the faux-steel template.

...I think. Once again, don't trust me, I'm an idiot and especially so in this subject. But I think that's how you do it.
Anywho, then ya give the creature the modified materials stuff instead of the standard vertebrate materials.
I think.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: July 07, 2016, 02:13:35 pm »

By the way ThatZommy, could you please also post the creature entity (civilization you're stacking them inside) it'd be useful for identifying future problems if the base creature is more or less watertight in design but adress your problems in crashes.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 372