Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 683969 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1680 on: March 30, 2016, 06:40:14 pm »

Wiki says they are caste-specific, not creature-wide.
Hmm, alright.
Sorta going from the previous question - will SPOUSE_CONVERTER tags work with megabeasts, or is it only for NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER? What would happen if I gave a creature both?

Also, cross-posting from the other questions thread, since I haven't gotten an answer and this is really bugging me: I have an issue with creatures that have a gas layer underneath specific body parts - it seems that any edged attack, no matter the body part that is actually damaged, will cause the gas to leak out. So lets say, if there's a sac attached to the throat, or a pustule attached to the upper/lower body, a sharp attack aimed at the leg or foot will still cause the gas to leak out. Obviously you'd only want that to happen if the pustule or sac is damaged and not any other body part.

Here's the raw setup for the gas layer, incase something is wrong with it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: March 30, 2016, 06:47:41 pm »

Wiki says they are caste-specific, not creature-wide.
Are you getting that from the Creature Token page? Because I'm pretty certain that its "caste" designation means simply that a particular token can be defined at the caste-level. For example, it labels BODY as caste, when a quick look at the raws shows it being used at a general level.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: March 30, 2016, 06:55:35 pm »

No idea about the gas layer. That's odd.

I understand that caste-level tokens can be placed outside of castes. When placed at the general level, it will affect the whole creature, though you can restrict things by caste.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: March 30, 2016, 07:42:04 pm »

I understand that caste-level tokens can be placed outside of castes. When placed at the general level, it will affect the whole creature, though you can restrict things by caste.
Every caste-level tag that appears before the first caste is declared will be (independently) applied to every caste.  If no caste is declared at all, those tags are dumped into a DEFAULT caste.

Most caste-level tags are last-in-wins (such as DESCRIPTION) so one declared inside a caste will override the generic.  BODY is an important exception... it always has an add-on-the-end behavior.  If different castes are going to have very different BODYs, you might not want to have a general BODY declaration at all.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1684 on: March 31, 2016, 05:21:10 pm »

Mm, shame, hope I can find out how to fix this soon, since it's real annoying.

Anyway, is it possible to use CDI_VERBAL_SPEECH with a MATERIAL_EMISSION type of interaction? I tried but it seems like it can only be used with interactions that immediately add a syndrome, without any vector.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: April 01, 2016, 01:44:19 pm »

does anyone know where I can find out the approximate real world size of the BODY_SIZE? I want the pokemon to be the correct size. by the way since adventurers apparently can't have pokemon, what do you think I can do to make it playable. is there anything in the poke-universe I could use for weapons?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: April 01, 2016, 03:29:07 pm »

BODY_SIZE is in milliliters, or cubic centimeters.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: April 01, 2016, 09:49:11 pm »

Is there a way to have multiple creatures in a single entity? I want to make an insect civ with wasps, ants and spiders. However, when checking the wiki, it says that DF will only have 1 creature per civilization even if I add several [CREATURE:X] tokens to the entity. Is there some kind of workaround for this, like using castes or something?
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: April 01, 2016, 09:59:43 pm »

Multiple creatures in one entity cannot be done, aside from migrations during world-generation/history.

The usual workaround is to make the wanted creatures all different castes of a single creature. Though this can lead to some oddities, such as castes being able to marry, and give birth to completely different castes.

Multiple CREATURE tokens in a single entity will only result in several identical civilizations where the only difference is their starting race.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: April 01, 2016, 10:31:30 pm »

Multiple creatures in one entity cannot be done, aside from migrations during world-generation/history.

The usual workaround is to make the wanted creatures all different castes of a single creature. Though this can lead to some oddities, such as castes being able to marry, and give birth to completely different castes.

Multiple CREATURE tokens in a single entity will only result in several identical civilizations where the only difference is their starting race.
Okay, thanks!

Would the everyone-marrying thing be avoided if most castes have no gender tag? I'm only giving it to the queen and drones.

Elaborating on that, will the drones need to be married to the queen in order to produce offspring? Or can that happen without marriage?
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: April 01, 2016, 10:33:38 pm »

Between intelligent creatures, marriage is a must for offspring.

I don't know much about genderless creature behaviour though.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1691 on: April 03, 2016, 09:30:48 am »

So in addition to my previous question about the VERBAL tokens for MATERIAL_EMISSION, I'm having really severe issues right now even trying to generate new large worlds the way I used to.

Right now I think I left DF for an hour, trying to generate a very large world, with everything besides history, savagery and total amount of civs set all the way to the right, and it still hasn't made one - 155 rejected right now, each time rejecting at "placing civilizations".

When I tried to do it in advanced world gen on a very small world, I got an error regarding farming civs having problems with available crops - I have no idea what it's about because most of my civs have both versions of OUTDOOR and INDOOR plant growth enabled - gardens, orchards, wood, farming, etc., also all of them have every COMMON_DOMESTIC animal token enabled along with USE_ANY_PET_RACE.
Only ones that don't have every outdoor/underground plant growth tokens enabled are town civs, with some exceptions (towns starting on taigas and deserts have underground plant growth enabled as well), and while most adv world gen parameters seem to generate worlds just right (although even "small" region settings have rejections up in the 600s), the default world-gen seems to take forever - I don't know why because I haven't had this issue before and large worlds even with largest civ, beast and maximum site settings would still generate quickly - now after I added a few new fortress civs and two town civs it takes forever even though their crop availability settings are the same as other civs.

So, wtf do I do? I really don't know which tokens are causing so many rejections, it's making generating worlds practically impossible.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 09:33:45 am by ZM5 »

Bogus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: April 03, 2016, 02:45:48 pm »

i have the same problem and i have no idea why. i suspected it may have to do with modded plants being to complicated to comprehend for the civ placement procedure? most of my plants dont have edible structural material so i thought that was it, but do you have modded plants in your game?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1693 on: April 03, 2016, 02:50:04 pm »

i have the same problem and i have no idea why. i suspected it may have to do with modded plants being to complicated to comprehend for the civ placement procedure? most of my plants dont have edible structural material so i thought that was it, but do you have modded plants in your game?
Only ones that are in savage biomes but they're fairly simple - they only give some syndromes when brewed.

FriarVicaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: April 05, 2016, 08:53:12 am »

If two civilizations have conflicting cultural values, are they more likely to declare war? Or are the values there for flavor for most part?
WHAT'S THE MATTER ANDY? DON'T YOU WANT TO HAVE SOME !!FUN!!?
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 372