Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Mech-games - What's Left? What's the best? What's the worst? Discussion!  (Read 23654 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Superfluous metal bits pretty much describes the entire giant robot ethos :P

Except where the metal is flesh or something instead, I guess. Sometimes giant robots are actually giant organic critters, after all. There's a few Eva games -- an N64 one even had some sexy giant robot action.

But yeah, some of gundam gets a little silly (and that's ignoring G or SD.). I keep meaning to scan through the stuff to see what else matches up to 08th, but not getting around to it.

Though the answer to purpose probably has something to do with magic minovsky particles. Except in seed, I guess, but seed is kinda' bloody silly (Batteries! Fooking batteries! I know it's 'cause n-jammer BS but still.). That or morale reasons. It's supposed to look scary or inspiring or something! Seriously, that's part of the canon design justifications for the gundams themselves.

Anyway, the dodging apparently involves verniers in most cases. It's handwaved away via that, anyway.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 12:54:16 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Superfluous metal bits pretty much describes the entire giant robot ethos :P

Yeah I know ;). Some of it is egregious when you consider that these things are supposed to represent the military hardware though. From the military utilitarian point of view most of the protagonist machines look like frickin toys :o.

I keep meaning to scan through the stuff to see what else matches up to 08th, but not getting around to it.

None has ever come close to that again I'm afraid. There's a certain level of awesomeness of a badass normal guy defeating the odds in an otherwise mostly plausible manner that the outrageously pretty and ridiculously powered robots like the ones in Seed just can't do.

Though the answer to purpose probably has something to do with magic minovsky particles. Except in seed, I guess, but seed is kinda' bloody silly (Batteries! Fooking batteries! I know it's 'cause n-jammer BS but still.). That or morale reasons. It's supposed to look scary or inspiring or something! Seriously, that's part of the canon design justifications for the gundams themselves.

I never knew why they couldn't just use other means of communication, or just revert back to massive amounts of line laying with the use of small drones and motorized vehicles in the field as a short stop. You can probably encode things into very small invisible laser beam, and if you're able to set up a system in which this laser can be intercepted at a certain point and the corresponding change read off providing you data you can have very quick form of communication. Relays of this should be that much of a problem. Heck, if you have a satellite object in orbit, it makes the whole thing much easier barring the atmosphere eating the weaker beams up. The beam tech in that universe seems to work perfectly well in that phenomenon.

As for the looks, I personally think they're just really bad at this whole war managing business. Kinda like the ancients or the goa'uld from stargate. It's a perfectly reasonable explanation. The people in these series have shown an incredibly poor aptitude at designing machines of war, or making the war machine work well as a whole. Their missiles don't go very fast and thus suits at a dead stop don't reduce their squishy contents to pulp when it accelerates out of the way. No idea what's happening with the laser dodging though.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 04:00:04 am by Flare »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

0079 was written in the 70s, so (while fairly hard science otherwise) they just didn't have things like optical communications (lasers) or computerized image recognition for targeting.  Also, you just have to accept and go with the idea that minovsky particles were an excuse to make giant robots fight with swords.

Anyway, I really posted to ask if the Original Post could please be updated with the other games and summaries from the thread.

There are 3 pages I have not read, but i'll mention Cyberstorm 1 and 2 for turn based tactical goodness.  Probably abandonware, if you believe in such.  Otherwise, probably cheap if you can find it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, yeah, those are Starsiege games too. I always forget Starsiege also had RTSes under a different name. Yeah, pretty awesome, and the lore is actually a great stepping stone between the original siege games and the Tribes games.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Hullo Mech game thread. I've got a question for you, I played an SNES game way back when called MechWarrior for the SNES. I quickly lost interest being about 12 at the time and having a hard time grasping the controls and "camera" as much as it could be called that on an SNES game. I was just wondering what the general like.... I dunno opinion was of that particular game? It was apparently based on the first PC Mechwarrior game. I keep meaning to go back to it and butt heads with it because, well, giant robots, and I'm defeated every time. I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing or if it was just made back before mechwarrior (Also known as battletech according to wikipedia? Dunno) got onto solid legs.

Thanks in advance.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hullo Mech game thread. I've got a question for you, I played an SNES game way back when called MechWarrior for the SNES.

Indeed, it was basically a port of the original Activision Mechwarrior game for DOS, so you're probably better off trying to play that.  I really enjoyed it because it had the whole "manage your merc company" aspect to it, traveling around to different regions to work for different governments.

One of the first games where you could target different components, or carefully take head or leg shots with the hope of getting better salvage.  I remember it being challenging, but it got easier once I learned to abuse the AI a little bit -- taking a light mech on a defense mission against a full heavy lance, you can basically walk AROUND the advancing lance and plink out their legs without them returning fire -- as long as you stay outside of their forward arcs.  You just have to be able to do it before they reach their target :)

Dont know if it is still worth playing in the face of the (now free) MW4 Mercenaries game or whatever there is now, but darn it was something for its time.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Ah, MW4 is free? I'll give that a shot sometime then.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Yup. The mektek thing mentioned earlier in the thread.

Didn't one or both of the mech commanders go free at some point, too?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile

Has anyone mentioned VOTOMs yet?  Japan only, I believe, so I haven't played it, but it seems pretty neat.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Hullo Mech game thread. I've got a question for you, I played an SNES game way back when called MechWarrior for the SNES. I quickly lost interest being about 12 at the time and having a hard time grasping the controls and "camera" as much as it could be called that on an SNES game. I was just wondering what the general like.... I dunno opinion was of that particular game? It was apparently based on the first PC Mechwarrior game.

If you know how to use DOSBox, you shouldn't have much trouble finding an abandonware copy of the original Mechwarrior. It takes a little getting used to, but I imagine that the PC controls, though confusing and unconventional, are probably much more effective than the SNES one. I even LP'd a good chunk of the game, I think there's still a link in my sig.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]