Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Automatically expendable  (Read 4050 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Automatically expendable
« on: May 20, 2012, 10:41:15 pm »

What makes you decide if a dorf is automatically expendable? For me, it's anyone not of the magnificent starting seven.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
Re: Automatically expendable
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 10:44:30 pm »

Fisherdwarves, Cheese Makers, Lye Makers and of course, the prestigious nobility are always expendable. The rest who aren't part of the Magnificent Seven are also expendable, unless they become Legendary in their craft.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 11:03:19 pm »

Dorf exists == dorf is expendable.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 11:06:20 pm »

... trappers; potash makers; beekeepers; animal dissectors and caretakers; spinners; engineers; metalcrafters; architects; administrators. I rarely need more than one carpenter, woodcrafter, stonecrafter, wood burner, glassmaker, potter, or soap maker - and one dwarf can fulfill multiple functions. By virtue of their profession woodcutters and soldiers need to be regarded as expendable in the course of conducting their duties. Dwarves with injuries to both hands are expendable.

If I see a dwarf idling and they have hauling enabled, that indicates to me either that there's someone else in the fortress who can do their job or that they can't do any jobs worth doing. This includes legendary craftsdwarves; once you have one legendary mooded woodcrafter you can afford to behave callously towards the other 3-5 that you're going to get.

Children are always expendable, especially if they insist on wandering into the caverns. I lose more dwarves to troglodytes than I do in sieges.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 11:31:12 pm »

I just ditch children in third cavern down. If they survive to adulthood, then they truly earned their place.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 11:36:41 pm »

Dwarves whose primary skill is not metalworking, mining, carpentry, masonry, combat or some kind of engineering variant. In a pinch, this is simplified to "anyone without a title".
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 11:38:44 pm »

Carpenters and engineers are expendable too. You don't have to be a master to load a cage trap and once you have a couple hundred beds and bins you don't really need a carpenter.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 11:41:09 pm »

Anyone without a 'slow to tire' or better tag. Those who have that get permanent positions, the rest are haulers/fodder.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 12:05:10 am »

Migrant wave 8.
6 and 10 have the honour of being the only waves not in the military, as of yet.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 12:07:54 am »

Not named Morul.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 12:14:20 am »

Not part of a construction/farming/mining/or forging crew. 

AKA not doing anything useful and happen to be near the weapons or threat.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 12:14:27 am »

I actually try to keep them alive (I know, I know). But, ...

Anyone named "Urist"?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 12:36:49 am »

I don't have expendable dwarves. I treat the colony as the last spaceship of their species.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 12:41:01 am »

I don't have expendable dwarves. I treat the colony as the last spaceship of their species.

So what do you do when there's a hull breach, the atmosphere is venting, and the radiation level is too high for anybody attempting repairs to survive the experience?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 12:50:13 am »

Pull the Lever.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.
Pages: [1] 2