Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cage traps blocking caravans ?  (Read 5112 times)

Finndibaenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
cage traps blocking caravans ?
« on: May 20, 2012, 06:32:06 pm »

FOr a while now I get warnings that the depot is not accessible when caravans pass by (which doesn't prevent them from reaching it strangely).

After a good time of head scratching I realized this is caused by the cage traps i have in the entrance.
Is the message bogus ? or do those traps create a real problem ?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: cage traps blocking caravans ?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 06:41:28 pm »

Several threads have already discussed this  ;), and yes, traps and pressure plates now block wagons.  When you got caravans, you will not have gotten wagons.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 09:11:39 pm »

This is an open bug at the bugtracker.

Bug #5927: Traps Block Wagon Access
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 02:02:35 am »

I think it is intentional, not a bug.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 05:07:10 am »

I think ham is delicious.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 08:02:53 am »

Several threads have already discussed this  ;), and yes, traps and pressure plates now block wagons.  When you got caravans, you will not have gotten wagons.
Does this apply to Upright Spear/Spike traps (the lever activated sort, not weapon traps)?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 08:33:18 am »

If this is intentional, then Toady has cleverly made above-ground defense more difficult.

Also, think about it. Would you want to bring your wagon/animals/friends through some Indiana Jones style hallway of death to trade your butterfly brains for some blood-soaked socks from your colleagues sent to the fort last year?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 08:47:41 am »

Does this apply to Upright Spear/Spike traps (the lever activated sort, not weapon traps)?
It does not appear to.  I only tried it with one single upright spear, but I did link it to a lever and set someone to pulling the lever.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 09:57:32 am »

If this is intentional, then Toady has cleverly made above-ground defense more difficult.

Also, think about it. Would you want to bring your wagon/animals/friends through some Indiana Jones style hallway of death to trade your butterfly brains for some blood-soaked socks from your colleagues sent to the fort last year?

By that logic we may as well not be able to have civilians to move over traps safely though.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 10:57:37 am »

By that logic we may as well not be able to have civilians to move over traps safely though.
That'll learn 'em not to chase after socks during a siege!

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 11:34:37 am »

Isn't it wagon access? Your civilians can learn the placement of the traps, even the visitors can be shown, but the big ass 3x3 wooden carriage will remain unable to delicately tiptoe around the deathtrap triggers.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."