Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An Idea: Procedurally Generated DF  (Read 2932 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An Idea: Procedurally Generated DF
« on: May 20, 2012, 03:29:11 pm »

Eventually, DF gets a little dull. Unless you intentionally make things difficult for yourself, the game is pretty easy, and eventually even terrifying glaciers aren't that bad. But you could preserve the novelty, and the difficulty that comes from not knowing things, by generating new content for each world. You could write a short program to add in tags to creatures at random, generate a balanced, but varied mix of inorganic items, create new interactions that would require players to observe carefully and conduct extensive !!SCIENCE!!. Perhaps even generating tech trees. The only difficulty would be in fine tuning the probabilities of various tags so that you don't get megabeasts everywhere or FUN like that. Of course, to preserve any semblance of realism, some things would have to be chosen from a predetermined list, rather than generated on the spot. I can do all the programming, but I don't think I could come up with enough novel body forms and syndromes to keep everything both interesting and balanced. Thus, I'd like it if some people could assist me with that. So, if you have some free time and are feeling creative, could you post one or two of the following?

Syndromes:
Body Templates:
Interactions:
interesting reactions:

Anything else is, of course ,welcome

I realize this is quite a bit to ask for, but the work I've seen on these forums far surpasses most things I could dream up.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: An Idea: Procedurally Generated DF
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 03:35:48 pm »

What game are you playing?  Because as far as I can tell DF already contains most of those elements.

Want to see more random creatures?  More Titans, Night Creatures, Night Trolls, Demons and the like will do that

Random Syndromes?  Up the Secrets.

More random stuff?  Evil Weather and Rain types do that.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 03:41:10 pm »

I'm talking about literally everything. random vermin, random ethics, random civs, random creatures, random megabeasts, random metals, random reactions, etc. I don't want to see a Skeletal Yeti and think, oh crap, lock down the fort. I want to see something with a name I don't recognize, mistakenly assume it's not that dangerous, and watch as it devours my fort.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 03:54:45 pm »

I'm talking about literally everything. random vermin, random ethics, random civs, random creatures, random megabeasts, random metals, random reactions, etc. I don't want to see a Skeletal Yeti and think, oh crap, lock down the fort. I want to see something with a name I don't recognize, mistakenly assume it's not that dangerous, and watch as it devours my fort.
ishygddt, that might seriously fuck up the game.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 04:36:21 pm by Mrhappyface »
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 04:01:39 pm »

Duplicate raws (may/will crash game as bonus).
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

psychomantits

• Bay Watcher
  • a menacing lawn gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 04:02:14 pm »

Random fish generator[2], random plant generator[1]
There is a bigger plant generator on the page zero, too. I don't think anyone actually created the mineral/creature generator (there was something with mythical horses, wasn't it?).

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 04:54:57 pm »

There is also the Random Raw Creator that can handle:
Random Toys
Random Plants
Random Weapons
Random Stone
Random Food
Random Instruments
Random Minerals
Random Gems

Though I don't know if it has been updated to the latest version yet or not.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

medikohl

• Bay Watcher
  • Goblins are a good building material
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 05:57:48 pm »

Well I like the cut of your jib, so I'm going to give you this to help you along your way.

Here is the centipede I've ended up building.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I can imagine a bunch of  monks making a pilgrimage to a holy mountain, only to discover that it isn't there anymore.

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 08:51:46 pm »

OP, I'd love to take part in this because I loves me some procedurally generated stuff.

You need basic things like quadrupedal bodies, insectoid & arachnoid bodies, shelled torsos, stingers, and tentacles, right? Then you'd let the program assemble them into creatures, with chitinous or feather-bound or fleshed bodies or what have you, correct?
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 08:52:35 pm »

body_rcp already has many of those for FBs.

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 08:57:31 pm »

Aware of that, but many FBs are based off of basic, pre-existing creatures. While that would be fine for some creatures (snake headed wrens, anyone?), the bulk of creatures should be completely unique.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 09:58:03 pm »

Aware of that, but many FBs are based off of basic, pre-existing creatures. While that would be fine for some creatures (snake headed wrens, anyone?), the bulk of creatures should be completely unique.

I think you can add more bodyparts in body_rcp to make the game use it on newly generated worlds.

Hydra-type forgotten beasts, anyone?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 10:23:49 pm »

I think you can add more bodyparts in body_rcp to make the game use it on newly generated worlds.

Hydra-type forgotten beasts, anyone?

I'll see to it that every FB is forced to have a magic-spewin' injectawiener. Thanks, m8!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 03:58:58 am »

Well untill we make something like that, you coould always get on some mods, some really add hard time, try to survive that fortress defense mode on hard, sure you can, but its hell harder. Also the post apocalyptic change lots of stuff, i have yet to see a siege tho. You better not rely on farming early on... and hunting? everything want to rip your head off... Your left with fishing! and livestock butchering untill you start getting farm products. There is some other mods that is interessting!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 07:20:59 pm »

OP, I'd love to take part in this because I loves me some procedurally generated stuff.

You need basic things like quadrupedal bodies, insectoid & arachnoid bodies, shelled torsos, stingers, and tentacles, right? Then you'd let the program assemble them into creatures, with chitinous or feather-bound or fleshed bodies or what have you, correct?

That's basically the idea, yes.