Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: El Trains?  (Read 3969 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
El Trains?
« on: May 20, 2012, 03:00:02 pm »

I've been working on my world spanning metro system, but I'm wondering if anyone got around to building el-trains for their forts.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

SkillageFTW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: El Trains?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 03:03:31 pm »

If you're talking about a minecart metro system,  but don't dwarves only use them if they are hauling something somewhere?  I could imagine a few track stops on a non-stop roller powered track to get to distant areas on a single level, but would it work?

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 03:08:45 pm »

If you're talking about a minecart metro system,  but don't dwarves only use them if they are hauling something somewhere?  I could imagine a few track stops on a non-stop roller powered track to get to distant areas on a single level, but would it work?
I build it for adventurers. It's only one z-level below the dirt, and I power the rollers with windmills and axles.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

SkillageFTW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 03:12:08 pm »

That is absolutely possible, but would be difficult to get from site to site.  You'd have to make a marker showing where in the world you were at each 'stop' if there was one.  Anyways, how would you connect them in dwarf mode (I'm assuming you build them in dwarf mode, which is the only way to build them)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 03:16:02 pm »

That is absolutely possible, but would be difficult to get from site to site.  You'd have to make a marker showing where in the world you were at each 'stop' if there was one.  Anyways, how would you connect them in dwarf mode (I'm assuming you build them in dwarf mode, which is the only way to build them)
I can use just embark to overlap the embark sites. The hard part is going off a 16x16 embark site to another one. But that's easily remedied by counting the distance of the rail by multiples of 11 and starting in the corner. Just remember that when going of a 16x16 site, that you end the rail with an upwards ramp so it can reach the next site.

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 06:17:35 am »

I think he means that in adventurer mode , how are you going to know where you are? For all you know, the train to HFS has arrived at its final destination.

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 08:42:18 am »

You can't overlap embarks.

Unless embark everywhere has it, not sure.
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 08:47:01 am »

If you're talking about a minecart metro system,  but don't dwarves only use them if they are hauling something somewhere?

No. You can set the condition to "ride immediately, always" so they just keep riding it.

That doesn't really help, though; not without a lot of micromanagement to make sure the right dwarf goes and doesn't keep repeating. Not to mention they only do it as a labor, so it's whenever they feel like riding a minecart, basically.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:07:21 am by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 11:48:56 pm »

You can't overlap embarks.

Unless embark everywhere has it, not sure.
You can with Just Embark, which is what he said he was using.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 11:53:10 pm »

I'm not sure he meant simply a metro (although he might have). The "el" in el-train is short for "elevated" and refers to when the train emerges above ground (usually because the ground drops) and continues on elevated trestles above the roadway.

So he might be asking about tracks on top of constructed, elevated rails. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:54:51 pm by Finn »
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 11:56:08 pm »

Yeah. Underground railways are much easier to build, so I wanted to see if anyone made el-trains instead.

Jalen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 01:22:13 am »

I use a system by which all new migrants come into the fort via rail network like in the opening to Half-Life 2. All new citizens must go through security, and finally board an iron minecart that jumps over the volcano. I'm sure they get a kick out of this.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 01:32:15 am »

Well, you can't build underground rail except using the cavern layers because you can't dig the edge of the map, so worst case you're going to hit the edge of the 16x16 region. Besides, there's nothing good to crash into see in a straight underground trip. But because track are just floor tiles, you can construct track to the edge of the map.

But I did some math in the other thread, and with a flat straight track, you should be able to cover multiple 16x16 region tiles with a single roller push - and do it very quickly - about 800 ticks per region - or about the time it takes to walk across 1.5 embark tiles. So, dig out some stone, make blocks, hook up a windmill to a set of rollers in each region, and with a lot of embarks, you could could cross a 256x256 world in almost exactly a year, fortress time. Not sure what the cart speed is in adventure mode where there's 70x as many ticks per day, but that'd get you across the map in 5 days.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 01:37:41 am »

Yeah. Underground railways are much easier to build, so I wanted to see if anyone made el-trains instead.

I'm working on one, a rollercoaster system actually, it's tricky to get it working properly.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 01:40:36 am »

Well, you can't build underground rail except using the cavern layers because you can't dig the edge of the map, so worst case you're going to hit the edge of the 16x16 region. Besides, there's nothing good to crash into see in a straight underground trip. But because track are just floor tiles, you can construct track to the edge of the map.

But I did some math in the other thread, and with a flat straight track, you should be able to cover multiple 16x16 region tiles with a single roller push - and do it very quickly - about 800 ticks per region - or about the time it takes to walk across 1.5 embark tiles. So, dig out some stone, make blocks, hook up a windmill to a set of rollers in each region, and with a lot of embarks, you could could cross a 256x256 world in almost exactly a year, fortress time. Not sure what the cart speed is in adventure mode where there's 70x as many ticks per day, but that'd get you across the map in 5 days.

I wonder if your still able to eat and drink while in a minecart.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.