Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Refuse help  (Read 731 times)

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Refuse help
« on: May 19, 2012, 11:25:23 pm »

Do things in indoor refuse piles still rot?
Do bones, hooves, skulls, hair, and ivory rot only through vermin, and not over time?

I made indoor refuse piles for the non-miasma-generating stuff, trying to keep it in storage - I just now realized that they might not be as helpful as I thought.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Refuse help
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 01:13:16 am »

Just put those refuse piles in a room with a door and your problems will be much smaller
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 01:39:36 am »

Just put those refuse piles in a room with a door and your problems will be much smaller

Or better yet, make them access through a diagonal space. Miasma can't get out, and you don't need to spend time constructing a door.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 01:57:49 am »

Or better yet, make them access through a diagonal space. Miasma can't get out, and you don't need to spend time constructing a door.

Yes, this is true as well, and in some ways more elegant.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 02:04:50 am by Finn »
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 02:50:34 am »

You could also put your refuse stockpile(s) on the surface instead of underground.  Works better if you build a palisade around your entrance so somebody doesn't get shot in the face for taking out the trash.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 08:57:50 am »

My question is more about the degeneration of items, not about miasma - I already have an outdoor refuse pile for corpses and body parts. My goal is to keep bones, etc. for crafting uses.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 09:23:55 am »

They *might* degenerate, but if so, they do it verrrry slowly. I also have indoor refuse piles for bones and such, and have ended up with them overflowing if I've had a few too many hunters so that my crafters can't get through all the bones in time.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 09:28:46 am »

I think it degenerates due to vermin interactions. if you have some cats - stuff will be almost everlasting in your indoor pile.