Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So how do I get started training new critters?  (Read 1518 times)

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
So how do I get started training new critters?
« on: May 19, 2012, 09:34:49 pm »

The new version apparently removed the Dungeon Master and replaced it with some...system. A porcupine just blundered into my cage trap but I can't figure out how to tame it. Does my animal trainer need to be at a certain level?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So how do I get started training new critters?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 09:40:32 pm »

Assign any old dwarf the Animal Training labor and they'll give it a shot even if they've never done it before.  Build a cage and make sure the animal is in it.  Set the wild animal to be trained from the z-menu, and select a specific trainer, any trainer or any available trainer as you prefer.  Make sure you have some food available (meat for carnivores, vegetation for herbivores).  The trainer will take food to the cage and spend time with the creature, and its level of tameness will improve to Semi-Wild or better.  Now you need to take it out of the cage and assign it to a pasture or a restraint.  The trainer will retrain it as necessary to try to keep it from reverting to fully wild, and as the trainer improves the quality of training will, too.

Baby animals are born with the same quality of training as their mother.  If you assign them to be trained (from a pasture or restraint, not a cage), the additional training on top of what they're born with may render them domesticated, which is fully tame.  A domesticated animal will not revert to wild whether it's in a cage, a pasture, a restraint or anything else.

Be careful about assigning a specific trainer to animals you intend to use as meat or disposable war beasts.  Repeat training of the same animal may cause a dwarf to form a bond with that animal, after which its death will cause a similar reaction to the death of a friend or relative.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:42:54 pm by weenog »
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 09:43:15 pm »

Assign any old dwarf the Animal Training labor and they'll give it a shot even if they've never done it before.  Build a cage and make sure the animal is in it.  Set the wild animal to be trained from the z-menu, and select a specific trainer, any trainer or any available trainer as you prefer.  Make sure you have some food available (meat for carnivores, vegetation for herbivores).  The trainer will take food to the cage and spend time with the creature, and its level of tameness will improve to Semi-Wild or better.  Now you need to take it out of the cage and assign it to a pasture or a restraint.  The trainer will retrain it as necessary to try to keep it from reverting to fully wild, and as the trainer improves the quality of training will, too.

Baby animals are born with the same quality of training as their mother.  If you assign them to be trained (from a pasture or restraint, not a cage), the additional training on top of what they're born with may render them domesticated, which is fully tame.  A domesticated animal will not revert to wild whether it's in a cage, a pasture, a restraint or anything else.

That's really helpful, thank you!

Those quilly little shits will make for good eatin's. As soon as we get the quills off.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 09:46:07 pm »

Just in case you missed it while posting, take note of the edited last part of my previous post.  Save yourself some grief.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 09:53:34 pm »

Just in case you missed it while posting, take note of the edited last part of my previous post.  Save yourself some grief.

Ah, good to know.

Also, WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME WAGONS WERE COMING BACK

*seethes*

If I make just one accessible route to my fortress (i.e a road), no matter where it connects to the outside world, they'll always use that one, right?

Also, if I remember right, wagons can't go down stairs?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 09:56:56 pm »

Also, if I remember right, wagons can't go down stairs?
Correct. Nor can they go over weapon and cage traps in the latest version.

Also something that was failed to be mentioned in the animal training post. For the actual training itself (after the original taming in the cage) the animal must be able to be taken to an "animal training" zone where the trainer trains the animal. If it can't then it won't be trained and will eventually slip back into a wild state and run around killing things.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 10:03:54 pm »

Ahh, yeah, I figured having an Animal Training activity zone, with a lockable door and close to the pasture, kind of went without saying.  I should've been more explicit.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 10:20:52 pm »

Ahh, yeah, I figured having an Animal Training activity zone, with a lockable door and close to the pasture, kind of went without saying.  I should've been more explicit.

Oh, you can't assign animals to the animal training zone, I guess. Well, porcupines aren't grazers, as far as the wiki knows, so...time to dig out a tiny rocky chamber, I guess!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 06:25:38 am »

you can just make the zone a pasture and training zone, and I think training zones is for war animals.

one note: I never take them out of the cage untill they are at least trained instead of semi-wild. Less chance of going wild. Once tamed once, animals will ignore traps and won't be killed by militia. While this isn't that important for a porcupine, Giant porcupines are reported to be quite dangerous (to goblins at least)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.