Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Horsebeasts of the Apocalypse  (Read 1138 times)

CorruptUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Horsebeasts of the Apocalypse
« on: May 18, 2012, 02:48:25 pm »

Obviously the four horsemen are the inspiration.  We currently have Pestilance and Death, in so many different ways, but not War or Famine.

WAR Syndromes

Anger- provides very negative thoughts; pretty terrible considering that it's your Axedwarves that are first to go berserk.  However, a bit chaotic (possibly "good") in that it increases the chance your dwarves go into a martial trance, but if throwing a tantrum while in a trance...
Jealously- if a dwarf has a grudge nearby, may cause the dwarf to seek out their sworn enemy and start a fight.

FAMINE Syndromes

Thirst- makes your dwarves thirsty; if they don't have a waterskin they can die of dehydration (or if they do and the fight goes on too long...)
Starvation- makes your dwarves hungry.  Again, if they brought a snack, they might be ok, but if they are in the middle of fighting they can't exactly eat...
Exhaustion- makes dwarves tired.  Can't kill them; they just pass out, but once unconscious they can't defend themselves too well.

These may be a bit too much Fun, but hey, DF is all about Fun.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 02:57:20 pm by CorruptUser »

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Horsebeasts of the Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 03:11:31 pm »

What about death and conquest?
Famine and pestilance is usually bundled together.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 04:52:58 pm »

I always have famine in my forts, because i try to live without farms.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 04:55:36 pm »

Pestilence needs work, I think.  The only horseman that isn't represented in the game already.  We already have:
  • War - Civs and entities attack and raid each other in worldgen.  Even bleeds over into Fortress attacks with local civs if The Mountainhome is at war with them already..
  • Famine - We seemed to have passed out of civs starving to death in 31.25, but the potential is still there for mass starvation of sites.
  • Death - Megabeasts and Necromancers
  • Pestilence - ?

Maybe it could have Plagues or other sicknesses that one could catch as a greeting Interaction, but Vermin are just kind of lame...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:00:24 pm by Jeoshua »
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 05:17:00 pm »

Don't we already have "horsemen" of pestilence in the form of all the evil clouds and forgotten beasts that spread syndrome-laden contaminants around, which, in turn, cause infected dwarves to vomit blood that itself spreads the syndrome everywhere?

Those things are fortress-killers already.

Famine - We seemed to have passed out of civs starving to death in 31.25, but the potential is still there for mass starvation of sites.

Nope, famine definitely kills a huge chunk of humans, elves and dwarves.  This is why goblins (which don't eat) that become part of human civs will quickly explode in population and make goblin-filled "human" cities.  The only thing that changed was that Toady made it so that kings and other historical figures are the last ones to starve, so that we didn't keep having kings die of starvation every 2 years.  If you watch populations of cities, most cities will climb up to "#" size (over 5000 or so population) before crashing back down to "+" size (around 1000 or less) from starvation and then slowly climbing back up over and over again.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare