Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Diablo 3: Discuss the stupid  (Read 5246 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3: Discuss the stupid
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 10:44:52 am »

It is never a good idea to take nenjin seriously, I think. Assume at least a modicum of sarcasm, levity, or intentional hyperbole.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 10:46:33 am »

Assume at least a modicum of sarcasm, levity, or intentional hyperbole.

Take me seriously (or not) at your own risk.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 01:58:06 pm »

I think most of the problems with D3 stem from the fact that it's design philosophy is buisness focused rather than gameplay focused. I'm sure I'm not the only person who's wondered if the game was designed around the cash shop rather than vice versa.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 02:02:16 pm »

I think most of the problems with D3 stem from the fact that it's design philosophy is buisness focused rather than gameplay focused. I'm sure I'm not the only person who's wondered if the game was designed around the cash shop rather than vice versa.

I think this too...
Publishers are WAAAAAAAY to much profit-oriented these days. They just crank out mappacks for their previous hits and throw in some microtransactions, then call it a day.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 02:14:03 pm »

Successful companies, no matter the industry, have a habit of going heavily profit-oriented when they're really successful. It's actually pretty disappointing, since that means the thing that brought them success in the first place falls by the wayside, and oftentimes only mass appeal driven by brand recognition and customer loyalty keep the company afloat.

Blizzard, you had a good run. I hope you finish screwing up soon.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 02:15:34 pm »

How many of the people complaining against the game have played it?

I hate the idea of the cash shop, but I have enjoyed the game. And the cash shop is irrelevant to me. I don't have to use it. It doesn't impact my gameplay if other people use it.

Now, the result of the cash shop, always online DRM, is a problem. I was booted last night while fighting a boss and apparently died. Arggh!

But the cash shop might just be an excuse for always online DRM which prevents pirating. They needed a reason to excuse always on DRM and they found it.

As a buying customer, who doesn't pirate any game, I find it fine except for their unreliable servers.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 02:20:39 pm »

It does not stop pirating it just make the pirates copy better Skidrow working on cracking the server so you don't have to be online all the time.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:34:30 pm by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 02:31:26 pm »

But the cash shop might just be an excuse for always online DRM which prevents pirating. They needed a reason to excuse always on DRM and they found it.

You've got it backwards. Online DRM exists because of the cash shop, not the other way around. "Dem dirty pirates" are a scapegoat used to justify something much, much larger than the problem they presented.

And yes, I've played the game.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 02:48:43 pm »

I hate the idea of the cash shop, but I have enjoyed the game. And the cash shop is irrelevant to me. I don't have to use it. It doesn't impact my gameplay if other people use it.

Now, the result of the cash shop, always online DRM, is a problem. I was booted last night while fighting a boss and apparently died. Arggh!

As a buying customer, who doesn't pirate any game, I find it fine except for their unreliable servers.

I played the beta weekend a while ago. Managed to actually beat the skeleton king despite the constant disconnects and server issues booting me to the login screen and losing my progress.

None of us can know for certain, but I'd bet money on the DRM being a result of the cash shop, as others have said. The cash shop earns them money, and you can't really do it without always online and no true singleplayer or LAN. This is what I mean when I say the game was designed from a buisness perspective first. Gameplay is secondary to revenue streams.

This is why, even if you don't use the cash shop personally, it still effects your game experience.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 03:01:52 pm »

I'm just ticked off that they decided they require always-on internet. Other games have similar systems and let you get around it by opting out (I want this character to have access to achievements/hardmode/official ranking/realmoney auction house = requires internet connection and only plays with other character that opt in, I don't want access to those things = no internet required if playing single player and only plays with other opt out characters in multiplayer). I actually kind of like the idea of the real money auction house, it's just the execution of it that doesn't sit particularly well with me.

I think in the end I'm still just annoyed that they decided to abandon LAN play starting with Starcraft 2. They did a complete about-face from the first Starcraft that let you install as many multiplayer-only copies of the game as you wanted so you could LAN it up with friends and I don't think I'll forgive them for it until LAN support gets put in to SC2 and D3 (which, I'm not fooling myself, is incredibly unlikely).
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 03:12:50 pm »

Well, that was back in the day when Blizzard wasn't the titan it is now, and Freeware was still seen as an effective marketing tool for a company their size.

Now that Blizzard/Activision is one of the richest entertainment companies in the world, "Freeware" is a dirty word to them.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 03:31:26 pm »

The way I see it, not everyone who's been bitching about D3 recently has a problem with the game itself. Sure you have people voicing their concern about the story, balance, builds and whatnot. But what seems to irk many people is that a perceived single player game, D3, functions similarly to an MMO in that it requires one to be always online, lacks LAN-support etc. while it has no reason to do so from the player's perspective. This fuels the rage of a thousand suns in many people. So basically you have one group of people saying "this game rocks" and another group replying "I disagree with Blizzard's actions surrounding the game".

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 03:32:59 pm »

It doesn't help that it seems to act like an amazingly unstable MMO for many people so far, I'm sure.

(And actually, most of my MMO time was spent on a lan or completely offline. So what do I know!)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 04:36:49 pm »

The way I see it, not everyone who's been bitching about D3 recently has a problem with the game itself. Sure you have people voicing their concern about the story, balance, builds and whatnot. But what seems to irk many people is that a perceived single player game, D3, functions similarly to an MMO in that it requires one to be always online, lacks LAN-support etc. while it has no reason to do so from the player's perspective. This fuels the rage of a thousand suns in many people. So basically you have one group of people saying "this game rocks" and another group replying "I disagree with Blizzard's actions surrounding the game".

You forgot the group of people who also don't like the game itself?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 04:39:08 pm »

This game truely saddens me deeply. I started 2012 excited for both Skyrim and D3, and look what we got delivered instead... Generic, dull games and, in the case of Diablo, mismanaged DRM policies and a soulless atmosphere for the sake of milking the cow even further. What's wrong with video game companies now? Did we reach point where they stopped trying to be creative?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 [2] 3