No
- 1 (3.6%)
It was fun for a long time but towards the end it just started to drag
- 6 (21.4%)
I wish I could have joined in.
- 17 (60.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 306

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall, continued... FULL DISCLOSURE  (Read 262894 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall, continued...
« Reply #4410 on: January 30, 2013, 02:45:15 am »

[Which just shows even more how badly you need something to take the pressure off in the story.]

The fortress wasn't exactly deathly quiet at night, but when the background noise of the day went away, all the little noises which formed the background silence began to stand out. Superhuman senses weren't all they were cracked up to be. HugoLuman was glad they were underground, cut off from all the annoying noises of woodland at night. However, when he got bored on a sleepless night, it was kind of cool to hear where everyone was in the next few rooms and halls.

So, naturally, he heard Wierd coming as soon as he stepped into the hall. "Don't worry, the rats should all be occupied for a few hours. Why do you smell all ocean-y?"
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: January 30, 2013, 03:16:01 am »

Wierd heaved a deep sigh of relief, seeing his friend unharmed. Ever since giving him that book, his conscience had been nagging at him like an old housewife, insisting it had been a dangerously stupid idea. But the worst seemed to have not transpired, and he was grateful.

In answer to his friend's question, he reached under his coat, and pulled out the deformed looking green, white and grey glob of muddled together salt, sand, and green glass so it caught the torchlight.

"I was getting this." he said with a smile.

"what.... IS it?" asked hugo almost worriedly.

"Salt!" he proclaimed jubilantly. "Well... Mostly salt... Lana she... well... Lets just say this could have turned out better."

Hugo's posture of worried concern only deepened.
"what do you mean? what about Lana?"

Wierd bowed his head in exasperation, and shook it side to side while letting out a loud sigh.
"I'd rather not talk about it... but everything's fine. She was just.. Hungry."

"What? what are you talking about? what do you mean, "hungry"?" asked hugo, truly bewildered now.

Wierd just chuckled, walked up beside hugo's head, perched on his elongated neck, and wrapped an arm over the top.

"She eats magic, you know." he said bemusedly. "Had a little snack while I was trying to get seasalt from the ocean just now."

"What, did she attack you or something?!"

"Oh goodness no!" wierd laughed. "She just kept sucking all the magic out of the fire I was using to get the salt out of the seawater!"

"And the .... glass?"

"Well, when she stopped, I hadn't had time to .. well.. throttle back on the output... so to speak."

"Ohh...." said hugo, relieved. "So, everything really IS ok then?"

"Of course it is!" wierd said jovially, laughter still tinging his tired voice.

"So, what did you go all the way out to the ocean, at night, with Lana, to get seasalt, for anyway?" asked hugo, the tinge of worried curiosity returning to his voice.

"It's not for genocidal research, if that's what you mean. I said I would put it on hold, while you tried to talk to the rat things, and I did. This is for making saltwater taffy, and delicious puff pastries with, because those idiots in the kitchen apparently don't know that salt is a necessary cooking ingredient. No wonder everything they make tastes awful."

"I hope you're going to... purify it... first..." mumbled the dragon, turning his head to look at him.

"What!? Don't be ridiculous!" wierd protested. "Of COURSE I'M gonna recrystallize this stuff first! Naw--- I'm gonna put little bits of green glass and sand into everybody's food! Yeah, that sounds like a great idea!"

Hugo just frowned at him as best he could manage.  "There's no reason to be a smartass over it, I was just asking."

wierd was still laughing, and patted hugo on the neck to reassure him. "It's OK Hugo, I know I've been under a lot of stress lately, but you don't have to worry about me THAT much..."

"Well.. About that.. " started Hugo....

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: January 30, 2013, 09:05:03 pm »

"I managed to communicate with them. Turns out a few shaman-ish ones can access the Astral Plane. I've gotten them to consider that you might not be completely hostile, and they've agreed to leave you alone for a day. If I keep you from doing more profane writing, presumably. Thing is, their first impression of you was as a hero. They saw Thari as some kind of all-powerful malefactress, and you came out of the blue and killed her. But they think you've been corrupted by her books, and maybe are becoming her or trying to bring her back. Anyway, I think I convinced them that both of you were tricked into thinking the other served her power. Point is, I think you might need to make a gesture of goodwill, now that we know what that might be..."

Lana heard a creaking behind her, and turned to see an emaciated, grey-shrouded figure. "So, it's the pretty little creature of the night! No one's seen much of you around here, lately."

"From what I hear, I could say the same thing about you. And just so you know, you come off as a bit of a creep. What do you want?"

The mummy cackled. "Eh, well, I didn't mean nothing by it. That bloody nonsense it for the living. But girl, you're giving me a headache. A right bloody migraine! What sort of demonic crap is afoot what's interfering with my divine reanimation?"
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:20:44 pm by HugoLuman »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: January 30, 2013, 09:57:35 pm »

Weird shook his head..

"I told you we should have burned those books..." he muttered. "But you were right too, there was a silver lining, even in that rancorous old musty tome... saved your life after you jumped off that tower, remember?"

Hugo just breathed hard in exasperation.

"It might help, if they understood, or would at least, hear why I have been working with that filthy thing to begin with, and more importantly, what I've been discovering as a consequence."

"What do you mean?" Asked hugo.

"Well, for starters, I have precisely ZERO interest in revivng crazy bitch. Only an idiot would even contemplate that. I went through studious efforts to ensure she COULDN'T be raised, in fact. Might help if the knew that."

"Go on.."

"I only started looking into those rotten velum sheets of gods knows what animal she printed her filth on, after the rats started terrorizing me in the night, to try and learn what connection she had with them. What I found there troubled me greatly, and I worked as if the worst possible case had come to pass, looking for how she made them, and for possible ways to unmake them, if needed. Their continued assaults on my person and mind did nothing to disuade me, and only made the necessity of such ...obscene... action necessary all the more clear. That they can indeed be reasoned with, and aren't beings of pure, unrestrained cruelty and hate is a great relief! You have no idea! At least there's hope then!"

"So you won't conduct any more research?"

"That's the tricky part... while researching my genocidal terror weapon, I have learned some very troubling things about the mutants spawning out on the lawn."

"Oh?"

"They are 'this' close to developing dangerous syndrome causing processes. What they might consider to be following after the "dearly departed's" footsteps, might actually just be me looking into the origins and natures of those creatures, looking for possible solutions to a problem that hasn't fully manifest yet, but looks like it will, and really soon. It's really bad. A good deal of the symptoms of the disease I had been working on actually came from exhaustive analysis of the swamp monsters that have been beating down our doorway for the past 3 months. Earlier today, when we first discussed this? I went out explicitly to get a fresh sample, to guage how far along the problem has progressed. We *really* need to clean that mess up, and soon."

"What about the rats then? What should I tell them?"

"Give them Thari's treatise on unspeakable attrocities, and help them drop it into a fire? It would make me sleep easier knowing it was destroyed... it's a dangerous temptation.. especially to somebody as addicted to knowledge as I am. Its a goddamn pandora's box, and just look what's come out. They want it destroyed? Good. We agree. Let's burn it."

Hugo blinked at him.

"And about your research?"

"I really can't afford to stop studying the swamp monsters. The syndromes the swamp life is evolving would effect them as well as us. It's in our mutual interests for me to continue. Tell them what I've told you about it. The big bundle I gave you earlier has a lot of details in it, mingled with a lot of research on weaponizing it safely.... the latter part we can destroy it would seem. The former? Could prove invaluable, if we don't stop the madness outside before it visits death on us all."

"That poses a bit of a problem." Said hugo tiredly. "They expect you to *completely* stop what you are doing, and won't be able to tell one from the other."

Weird slung his head down, and looked at his feet, then heaved a deep sigh. This was tedious, and felt a lot like a hostage situation; with him and the rest of the fortress as the hostages.

"I can stop for now, and clear the labspace tonight. But I need to convey to them how important it is that I keep working. Unless they want what's bubbling in that swamp to turn this whole area into a deathtrap."

"I don't..."

"Make it happen. However you got in contact with them, if I can talk too, it would greatly improve this situation............"  he paused..... "or cement the fact that I'm a killer...." ... "whichever comes first."

"I'll see what I can do."

"Allright.. I'm gonna go get clean, put this salt someplace safe until I get the greenlight to work again, break down the labware, and come back with that rotten book in a few hours.  After that, I am gonna sleep. But they had better keep up their end of the deal. If I see a single one, staring at me with those oppressively watchful little eyes, and chittering at me in the dark, they are gonna be crispy, got it?"

"Don't kill any, weird. Seriously. Don't do it."

"I won't bother them, if they don't bother me. I don't like killing things at all, but their tresspasses aren't making me very amenable. No tresspassing. Tresspassers will be violated. End of story. I don't stalk them down in their homes, and stare at them when THEY sleep!"

Hugo shook his head frustratedly.

"Can you at least not kill any, at least for tonight? Please? Just in case some disobey the agreement?"

Weird bit his upper lip.

"I'll put peepers in the closet tonight... he won't be happy about it.. probably keep me up all night pecking at the door to get out... but fine. Just for tonight. But they really need to learn about common dignities of how you should treat people. Even the nicest people become mean and cruel when pushed to far, and they've pushed REALLY far. "

Hugo looked down at the floor.

Weird sighed sympathetically at him.

"Hugo,.." he started, "they say that compromise, is a condition where the only thing that the negotiators can agree on is that they aren't happy. I just want them out of my room, and to respect the privacy of my home. They do that, and I won't toast them to crisps on sight. I'l see what I can do about peepers eating them tomorrow, even if I have to go talk to eric about it, though I dont relish his involvement. He's a surefire solution to the problem though... I am willing to work with them, but I won't be ruled by them. If the aggression continues, the aggression will continue."

Weird patted his friend on the head.

"Being a peacemaker is a big pair of shoes to fill, and is by no means an easy job. I don't want to make it difficult for you, but I can't accept being bullied either. I am open to reason, but not demands."

He headed for the door.

"I'll be back with "her rotteness's" little bedtime story book later. Maybe you can find some way to let them know? I have so much to do to get everything taken down and put up. I'd better get busy, if I don't want to look like a slouch by sleeping in. Think about this, and we'll talk more when I get back, OK?"

And with that, the necromancer left the room, shut the door behind him, and started down the hall to catch peepers...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: January 30, 2013, 10:42:28 pm »

[I had meant something more along these lines.]

HugoLuman started after him. "Wait!" Wierd turned. "Before I forget," said Hugo. He hacked a few times, then spat out the oilskin package. "Yuck! Anyway, they aren't watching you at the moment, but in the morning, you should burn something from this where they can see. Do that at least." He paused for a moment. "I suppose you still want me to keep the rest of these safe?"

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: January 30, 2013, 11:04:32 pm »

"It's after nightfall, and this is when they come out." He said carefully. "There is a reasonably good chance that Mr Peepers is eating them all up at this very moment. I can't dillydally long. We can sort what's in that book later. Right now, there are more pressing concerns. I don't think we should hide what is in there, and should be as open about what is in there as is possible. It's one of the things I would *really* like to discuss with them, if that's at all possible. Right now, I need to go put peepers on a leash, and stuff him into a closet. If the rats are dumb enough to go in there with him? That's their problem. But at least he won't be a hungry killing machine roaming the hallways. Now.. I have to get busy..."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: January 30, 2013, 11:34:32 pm »

[They've all gone off to wherever their hidey-hole is for a big group meeting.]

[Gizogin, feel like finishing Lana's conversation?]

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: January 30, 2013, 11:47:40 pm »

[Hmm, nah.  It's my birthday in fifteen minutes, I'm taking the day off. :P]
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: January 31, 2013, 12:03:59 am »

[Weird doesn't KNOW that though. He can't know that, he didn't witness the conversation, and wasn't told. He's proceeding under the auspices that they are going to leave him alone for tonight, but are otherwise still underfoot. That means he has a direct imperitive to ensure that peepers is properly put up, even if the rats won't be watching to notice.]

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: January 31, 2013, 01:29:04 am »

[Hmm, nah.  It's my birthday in fifteen minutes, I'm taking the day off. :P]

[Happy Birthday!]

Before Lana could reply, they were interrupted by the tramp of metal feet. "Clear off."

"Aw, fucking hell! Just as a guy is finally getting some rest, he gets awoken by stirrings of dark powers and now they say he's got no right to be cross? Well, gods bloody damn you! In fact, I forever cur-"

Roead was lifted off his feet and sent tumbling back by the shove. Climbing back up, he shook his head. He stormed away, muttering. "...these days, I swear. That's what I get for trying to ask politely..."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: January 31, 2013, 09:01:08 pm »

[It's morning now! Sorry that took so many pages.]

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: January 31, 2013, 09:01:57 pm »

[#$%& double triple post! Might as well modify it into something useful]

The sun shone grey through the overcast sky as it rose, and within half an hour most of the light dusting of snow had melted. In what a Californian in the middle of summer might consider a fine day, by the time people began to stir in the fort the ground was muddy and slushy and the sky filled with dull cloud. Not entirely gloomy, however, as the fog which had rolled in during the night was starting to dissipate.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:15:01 pm by HugoLuman »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: January 31, 2013, 09:27:50 pm »

Slowly, the shapeless forms of his familiar bed chamber started to come into focus, as an indeterminate number of hours of sleep had passed.  The rustlings of activities in the hallway outside meant that the sun was up, but since it had been way past nightfall when he crashed and burned, he really had no idea of what time it was, nor did he care.

This was the first uninterrupted sleep he had enjoyed in several months.

Persistent scratchings and pitiful peepings muffled by the strong wooden door covering his closet alcove spoke of peepers being aware of his recent rousings, begging to be let out. Sadly, the poor chicken would have to stay in there for now, until he could get him a proper large animal cage.

The mess in there wasn't something he wanted to think about.  Then he remembered. He was supposed to deliver thari's book of doom last night! He had cleaned and cleared the labspaces, put peepers up, and then the coffee gave out. He had forgotten all about it!

Cursing and swearing agitatedly, he slipped into a nearby pair of clothes, and dug through the trunk at the foot of the bed for the offensive bundle of dried skins of who knows what, slipped into a pair of pigtail "fortress slipper" shoes, and began shuffling down the corridor toward his destination as fast as he could waddle on short dwarven legs....

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: January 31, 2013, 10:25:47 pm »

[Might not want to actually destroy one of those, per se. Unless it's a treatise on her philosophy or something. Could be useful in the event of biohazard disaster. Or were you talking about locking it back up with the mummy again?]

[Zanz, any news on Mita?]

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: January 31, 2013, 10:33:52 pm »

[Weird has learned all he want to learn from the rotten thing. He intends to assist the rats in destroying it.]
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 306