Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Getting my Chief Medical Dwarf to diagnose people  (Read 5450 times)

Wyrmnax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting my Chief Medical Dwarf to diagnose people
« on: May 16, 2012, 08:55:39 am »

How do i get my CFD to diagnose people?

he has the diagnosys labor checked.

10 other dwarfs have the labor checked as well.

I have a hospital, with beds, tables, thread... whole lot of stuff.

Yet, my CMD refuses to diagnose anyone. I have dwarfs sitting on the beds for years, and not a single diagnosis is being made.

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting my Chief Medical Dwarf to diagnose people
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 09:06:45 am »

It works for me, when I do the following:

Disable diagnostics for everyone else, but the head chief.
I've got 2+ doctors, all without diagnostics, but with feed/recover and 1/2 medical skills.

Fully stacked hospital, marked as one with a Zone.

Did you forget to assign your head chief as a noble? (can't think of the right noble title "Chief medicine" or something?)

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 11:53:26 am »

Have you tried disabling all of his other labors?  The "Diagnose" labor tends to be a low priority job, for some reason.  I try to only enable the Healthcare labors on my Chief Medical Dwarf, plus maybe some rarely needed labors ("Butchery" is a fun one).  At the very least the Hauling labors should be disabled.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 12:00:39 pm »

Check his personality screen.  If he hates to help people, he won't be doing his job much.  Find a dwarf who is very compassionate and jumps to action without thinking twice and make him your CMD.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 12:01:52 pm »

or just enable diagnosing on him/her

no law anywhere that says only the CMD can diagnose
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 12:31:58 pm »

Try making the hospital a burrow and assigning your CMD to it.

You could also try putting your well inside the hospital zone, giving him his own bedroom adjacent to the hospital, and connecting a cafeteria (also a meeting hall as it attracts idlers) with its own small food and booze stockpiles to the hospital; if you give him no non-medical labors (and no Recover Wounded) the CMD will have little reason to leave the area even if he's not burrowed there.  If the cafeteria is small enough, and it's your only meeting area, dwarves might feel crowded and start brawling, which could even give him some extra experience with his doctoring skills.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 01:33:45 pm »

Never seen crowded dwarves start brawling. Only brawling I've seen is dwarves who tantrum from unhappiness, or dwarves that go berserk due to failed mood, neither of which have anything to do with crowding.  Overcrowded animals fight, and may fight dwarves, but dwarves don't fight due to crowding.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 01:49:00 pm »

Black eyes, crowded pet bites, same diff.  It's injuries he can take a look at, and they're right next to the hospital so not likely to bleed out before they get there.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 01:56:56 pm »

untill the legendary miners get upset and start to dig people
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Wyrmnax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 10:32:13 am »

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:32:07 pm by Wyrmnax »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 11:34:19 am »

"and that is why, son, women are not suitable for military service. Once they go there, they tend to send their children to serve the military too."

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 02:36:02 pm »

Moved the hospital inside the well room, things started working back again.

That is, until a alligator crawled up the well.

Does your well draw directly from the source, then?  You could try digging out a big reservoir, filling it completely, sealing it off (except from the well channel, obviously), then dropping a well into that instead.

Wyrmnax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 08:43:45 am »

Figured out what had happened.

CMD was missing a hand. So he laid down in a bed and waited for care that never came. Death by infection later, the system started working again.

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 08:52:18 am »

CMD was missing a hand. So he laid down in a bed and waited for care that never came. Death by infection later...
Oh, sweet irony...

These dwarves get dumber and more amusing with each day. This guy couldn't look at his hand and say "Oh my god, I seem to be missing a hand. Better wrap this up or something."
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:53:59 am by Yovatsap »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 10:23:53 am »

Disable diagnostics for everyone else, but the head chief.

Why?  If you want more diagnoses to be performed, then you should enable the Diagnosis labor on more dwarves.

If for some reason you don't want any Diagnosing to get done in a timely manner, then sure, keep on doing this!

I don't know why so many people think otherwise, but The chief medical dwarf does NOT have to be the one to diagnose a patient.  Any dwarf can do it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: [1] 2