Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: All Quiet on the Dorfish Front  (Read 3522 times)

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
All Quiet on the Dorfish Front
« on: May 14, 2012, 05:09:43 pm »

(If this double posts, my apologies. I had an error while trying to post.)

So I'm about to embark on my first fort with a point. A vision.  My first 7 dwarves will embark onto a good or neutral area on the border of a terrifying biome.  These brave 7 will establish a basecamp... my combat engineers, as it were. Food stocks,basic living space, all will be established by these first seven.  Every other wave after that, with a few handpicked exceptions, will be made into soldiers.  I'll have dwarves for food, weapons creation... LogisticalDwarves as I call them.

The rest will be soldiers. ranged and melee will be mixed with a umber of siege engineers... and from basecamp my dwarves will expand.

You see, this world is in year five.  Dwarves have only just now been birthed of the gods, and its time to reclaim the world from evil early, before it evr gets a foothold in areas.  Trenchlines, siege weapon pillboxes with crossbow "machinegunners"... fence lines, deconn chambers for dwarves who are caught inside contaminants... I want to recreate World War 1 with dwarves. Once we've paved over, built up, and walled off the surface? The caverns are next. and after that, if it lasts that long?

I want to turn Hell into a roller coaster amusement park.

I dunno how far I'll get. I've never really tried anything this ambitious... but I'll be doing my best to write it as a story, and put updates here and on my blog.  Honestly I wish I couldactually issue rifles and machineguns and artillery cannons, but hell... we'll make it work.

We're dorfs.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: All Quiet on the Dorfish Front
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 05:55:52 pm »

Nothing pretty ne-

Trenches.
Metal bawkses.

OOOOHHH YEAAAH.

You have just won a Dorfy box. I don't know what's inside, hopefully it's socks.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 06:16:33 pm »

Thank yew. Trying to find a nice metal heavy embark as well, so i can make metal pillboxes.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 06:26:32 pm »

Crossbows with bolts made FROM THE BONES OF YOUR ENEMIES are acceptable as rifles, I figure.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

ComradeGafarov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 10:40:00 pm »

Mod in some aluminum crossbows with lead bolts.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 10:47:33 pm »

A dwarven Maginot Line? I approve!
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 10:49:47 pm »

Upload the folder, so we can all make a story out of this.

Each forum goer makes a base, we wall off one biome at a time.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 10:51:14 pm »

Will do. I got distracted playing with the physics engine.

In other news, tossing elves as a BC has never been so much fun.

Connal89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 11:13:38 pm »

Parabolic flight and the addition of mine carts...liberal application of magma, some powered rollers in sequence and a few up ramps. I see no reason not to have artillery?

Fine tuning would be required for aiming and I doubt you can a lot of height, the ramp will be at best 1:1 so power would be your only variable. An advancing curtain barrage would be possible perhaps? A rolling wall of magma carts landing one after the other forcing the enemy back or annihilating them.

+++++++++~=^
+++++++++~=^
+++++++++~=^

+ Roller with minecart present (switched off currently)
~ Magma fill point
= Track for calibration
^ Ramp track leading to open air

I'm not sure how you'd go about filling the carts with magma because I haven't looking into it but some sort of magma curtain would apparently be the way to go about it if what I read was correct. If not I'm sure someone more diabolical then me could provide a solution.

Once they're all lined up powering the tracks should cause the carts to all rattle off with the front one being imparted the least power, the second getting slightly more, etc. The track after the magma fill point (or before if you prefer) would be additional rollers/stops with friction points to fine tune the start point of your barrage.

Triskelli

• Bay Watcher
  • A man of wealth and taste
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 11:17:15 pm »

This sounds like it should go into the Community Games & Stories section.  But I'm not going to complain about an awesome concept.

May I reccomend a 2x8 embark area along a biome change?  Need a properly sized trench!

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 11:57:29 pm »

Welp, you're half right... the story part is gonna go there... and on my blog because dangit everything I write goes there.

But posting the idea here helps get ideas. Like the idea of turning minecarts into artillery which is inspired.
... you know, I wonder what'd happen if a flaming minecart hits a booze storage area...

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 01:36:36 am »

This is relevant to my interests.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 01:48:48 am »

Cue an unholy mist and you've got yourself a lovely re-enactment of the Second Battle of Ypres.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 02:15:04 pm »

Cue an unholy mist and you've got yourself a lovely re-enactment of the Second Battle of Ypres.

And what happens when the eerie glowing mist turns out to be huskifying...

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 02:24:31 pm »

A slightly more accurate re-enactment of the Second Battle of Ypres.

Those boys really took it on hard.