Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 46

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 334320 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #345 on: May 19, 2012, 11:13:31 pm »

If your minecart are stuck in magma like
___        ___
     \_Ш_/
You can hit it out by another one minecart

Hm, so set up a newton's cradle to get the magma out?  First minecart gets stuck, but fills with magma.  Second minecart bumps the first one out, but get stuck itself - and filled with magma.  Rollers at the top to get the first minecart moving down the track again.  Repeat as needed?
Can't the rollers be pre built and powered by lavaproof mechanisms before being flooded with lava, as so no minecart gets stuck ever?

webber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 20, 2012, 02:48:34 am »

Do you want:
a) the dwarf to get off the cart at the far end, and an empty cart is returned.
b) the same dwarf to stay on the cart and be returned.
c) same as (a), except that a different dwarf can use the cart to return.

The first one might be possible by having the cart dump the dwarf (does this work?) and continue moving to return to the start.
The second one is easy, but kind of pointless.
I suspect that you want something like the third option, in which case it probably requires more than one stop.

The answer is A), but dwarves cannot be dumped.
I`m designing something like Maxwell's demon - two rooms are connected with tracks, and inhabitants of the first room must be transported to the second without letting them to return. Presence of any pedestrian access between said rooms annihilates the idea, but without this access dvarves refuse to ride when I use 2 stops. And when I use 1 stop, the cart cannot be returned to the start for next rider.

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 20, 2012, 03:17:42 am »

This was a couple pages back, but I'd like to confirm that a 3z ramp drop into a fortification is enough to create the shotgun effect, using wooden minecarts.

I'd like to point out a very interesting thing that happened, when I tried using zinc minecarts instead (Filled with blocks.) Instead of colliding with the fortification and spewing out its contents, the zinc minecart went flying through the fortification, and ran over three dwarven children and a baby llama. One of the dwarven children flew about ten blocks away and slammed into a tree. As for the baby llama, I'd like to share this little gem from the logs:

Code: [Select]
The Dwarven Child jumps out of the Stray Baby Llama's flight path!
The Ghostly Marksdwarf jumps out of the Stray Baby Llama's flight path!

So basically, instead of a shotgun I accidentally made a... Supercharged ballista?

EDIT: Successfully managed to rerail the flying zinc minecart into making a U-turn, for twice the carnage. Also, there is now a dwarven child stuck in a fortification tile. Currently contemplating whether I should just leave him there.

EDIT2: Wow. Baby Llama actually managed to hit the ghost this time.

Code: [Select]
The Stray Baby Llama slams into the Ghostly Wrestler!
The Stray Baby Llama slams into the Dwarven Child!
The Stray Baby Llama slams into the Dwarven Child!
The Stray Baby Llama slams into an obstacle!
The Stray Baby Llama is no longer stunned.
The Stray Baby Llama stands up.

FINALEDIT: It's not due to zinc or wooden minecarts, I just missed a track section so the minecart derailed 3-z levels off the ground.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:02:45 am by FluidDynamite »

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 20, 2012, 04:16:03 am »

So basically, instead of a shotgun I accidentally made a... Supercharged ballista?

Are you sure that you build a fortification at 1 tile far from the ramp? This thing happens when you are build a ramp & fortification at the related tiles.
Like this ___                       ___
                 \_F - Shotgun         \F - "Balista"

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 20, 2012, 04:46:26 am »

Are you sure that you build a fortification at 1 tile far from the ramp? This thing happens when you are build a ramp & fortification at the related tiles.

Hmm, it's really quite weird right now. I've tested again with wooden minecarts and they flew through the fortification as well. I've got a working shotgun elsewhere on the map using the same schematics as this one (and yours), the only difference I can think of between them is that I made 8 of these closely packed in a row and used hatches to drop the minecarts onto rollers, before going into the "shotgun" part.

I've heard that rollers right next to each other are a bit buggy right now, might be related to that.

EDIT: Pffft. Mystery solved. I missed a track section, so the cart wasn't even going down the ramp all this time.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 04:52:05 am by FluidDynamite »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 20, 2012, 06:04:04 am »

So I made a minecart track between my carpenter workshop and my wood stockpile. I then set up the track orders and my dwarves started to fill the minecart with wood.

After that, he picked up the full minecart and moved it to its destination.

Waitwut?

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 20, 2012, 06:34:48 am »

Excellent, so the difference between ramp operated cannons and shotguns has been defined
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 20, 2012, 06:36:12 am »

1)

I wanted to making drop shaft to return the minecart after it had "shotgunned" so -
___ 
     \                 _ - track
      \                [] - shaft
       \  F___       F - fortification
        []             < - rollers
        []
____<<

Resulr: The minecart just fly over fortification without been "shotgunned" & fly far away.

2)
___ 
       \HF___       F - fortification
        []             < - rollers
        []             H - hutch cover
____<<
This is the same construction but with the hutch covered shaft (hutch are opened).
Result: The minecart just fly over fortification but with "shotgun" & stops next behind fortification.
When hutch are closed it works like standard shotgun. Minecart are just stops on hutch.

3)

So, this construction could work (shaft are next behind fortification) -
___ 
       \HF  __       F - fortification
           []         < - rollers
           []         H - opened hutch
______<<

I need to try one more thing...

ADDED:

4)

This construction doesn't works properly.
___ 
       \PFH__       F - fortification
           []         < - rollers
           []         P - pressure plate linked with H - hutch
______<<

Minecart are "shotguned" & stops on pressure plate. 

ADDED: The interesting thing I have find: my dorf fall down to slip when he's been on tile with the lever & when the next dorf are pulls the lever, the first dorf are awakes =) To wake up a dorf you just need to update the tile where dorf are located (dump item, for example on him. I think it should work).

ADDED:

5)
___ 
     \                      _ - track
      \                     [] - shaft
       \PH1FH2__       F - fortification
               []           < - rollers
               []           P - pressure plate linked with H2 - hutch
________<<            H1 - opened hutch

This doesn't work too. The minecart are jumps over H1 & H2, hits the wall & "shotgunned".

The opened hutch/channel works like jumper for the minecart.

EDITED!!!

1) 2)
1 - the standard shotgun. 2 - test variance 5.
At the second image you can see how works FIFTH example. The minecart hits the wall & "shotgunned".

The difference between standard shotgun & the "fifth test" are:
standard - minecart hits the fortification & shotgunned at 7 tiles far from fortification.
fifth test - the minecart jumps over fortification, hits the wall & shotgunned at 6 tiles far from wall.
at the fifth var you don't need to build things as you see at example. It works like:

___ 
     \                               _ - track
      \                             [] - shaft
       \_   F ____X__         F - fortification
          []                     < - rollers
                                  X - wall

When we added the wall we can shoot farther (need to test how far can we do it).

ADDED: lol, the minecart shotgun works without a fortification, you can use the wall instead =)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 12:12:29 pm by Burmalay »

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 20, 2012, 09:34:33 am »

This is the scheme of the long-range shotgun:

==
    \
     \
      \  F______13______  W_
       []                        []

= - track
\ - ramp
[] - channel
F - fortification
_13_ - 13 tiles of ground
W - wall

& now we have a shotgun which soot at distance from 20 tiles (first contact with ground) for 42 tiles (the last block drop) О_О !!!!!!
I think you can increase this range by move this construction higher from ground =)

BTW: only this jumper works - __          ,NOT THIS - __
                                             \  F_                        \F_
                                              []
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 09:46:18 am by Burmalay »

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 20, 2012, 10:04:52 am »

Minecart are "shotguned" & stops on pressure plate. (IDK BUG it or not, but hutch didn't opens when the minecart stops on it =/ Maybe because of shotgun effect? The game aren't check other events after it?)

I solve it. The problem was in the pressure plate which are was on the ground but not on the track. When the pressure plate on the ground & if it set by minecart activation it hasn't do it. For the minecart activation the pressure plate must be on the track!!!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 20, 2012, 10:22:42 am »

Do you want:
The first one might be possible by having the cart dump the dwarf (does this work?) and continue moving to return to the start.

I`m designing something like Maxwell's demon - two rooms are connected with tracks, and inhabitants of the first room must be transported to the second without letting them to return. Presence of any pedestrian access between said rooms annihilates the idea, but without this access dvarves refuse to ride when I use 2 stops. And when I use 1 stop, the cart cannot be returned to the start for next rider.

Does the dwarf leave the cart predictably after it has arrived in the second area?

Have the cart come to a halt on a floor hatch in the second area. The dwarf leaves, and then the cart is dropped through the hatch and onto a set of rollers. The rollers push the cart back along a parallel track underneath the main track and to the start location.

The only danger in this idea is in the timing, that a dwarf might be on the hatch when it opens.

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 20, 2012, 10:34:32 am »

This thing will shoot your minecart in space О_О
This is the fastest way to transport & speed up your minecart.
The difference between this construction & the previous is fortification instead the wall.
Another cool thing of this construction are: Now you can set the shooting distance with the bridges which you can place at the (line of fire) minecart flying path to activate shotgun when you want it by raising the bridges!!!

HAVE FUN! =)

ADDED:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
It doesn't work! I can't shotgunned a minecart with the bridge =(
Need to test some more...

ADDED:
It doesn't working with hatch covers either...
Walls aren't working. Wall grates are works like fortifications.

ADDED:
The thing is: If the minecart are jumped once with jumper it can be shotgunned next, but if the minecart are jumped twice or more it didn't shotgunned ever =(
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 12:46:15 pm by Burmalay »

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 20, 2012, 01:04:58 pm »

This is working construction which increasing the shooting range of the shotgun -

==
    \
     \
      \  F______13______  X=
       []                        []   \
                                        \
                                         \  F______13______  X=
                                          []                        []    \          etc.

= - track
\ - ramp
[] - channel
F - fortification
_13_ - tiles of ground
X - floodgate

I'm dumb...
==
    \
     \
      \  F=====//======X
       []           
This works excellent at really long distances!

==
    \
     \
      \=====//======X
It's even doesn't need a jumper...                 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:30:45 pm by Burmalay »

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 20, 2012, 01:17:59 pm »

Do you want:
b) the same dwarf to stay on the cart and be returned.
c) same as (a), except that a different dwarf can use the cart to return.

The second one is easy, but kind of pointless.
I suspect that you want something like the third option, in which case it probably requires more than one stop.

Put a corridor between them that seals itself (as in, pressure plates at either end that seal the middle with a bridge or something). That way, the dwarves will use the minecarts (as there is technically access), but wont be able to actually walk through. You might get a bit of job cancellation spam, but strategic use of burrows should prevent most of that.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 20, 2012, 01:58:05 pm »

What if instead of a fortification you put in a retracting wall grate? Can you build that on top of the track? (I think so)

Then you might be able hook up pressure plates for the gobbos to step on that would automatically set the distance needed by extending/retracting the grates. You need to invert the signal, unfortunately, as the plate will retract, not extend the grate, but that might be solvable. Start out with all of the wall grates retracted for maximum distance, and as they advance, the last grate extends shortening the shooting distance, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 46