Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Improving tombs  (Read 1298 times)

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Improving tombs
« on: May 14, 2012, 02:08:47 am »

As it is now, tombs are death zones for even seasoned adventures. With little to no reward (what with the free loot in keeps and the like), why would anyone risk a trip into one of these except out of a death-wish? The challenge level is largely fine as it is. The risk and reward ratio needs to be balanced somehow, and these are my suggestions.

Vampire and undead players can currently just stroll through all tombs uninhibited, and reap all of the potential rewards I may list. As such, I think as an additional feature, some tombs could be inhabited by semi-sapient life and maybe even large groups of bandits, to mix things up a bit. Maybe even add rare abandoned tombs that can be found in wildernesses, to be inhabited by wildlife. In terrifying biomes, this could lead to interesting results.

Add gen'd artifact-esque item(s) to these tombs, along with the occasional masterwork item. One artifact per tomb, or one every two tombs, at least. (I would say even less artifacts, but keep in mind you could be finding artifact pig tail fiber socks.)

Additionally, most tombs, depending on what inhabits it (if anything), will have a lord or overseer, to some effect. A mummy would usually fill this role, otherwise, it would be the bandit leader or troglodyte lord. They would likely be carrying the artifact/masterwork item(s) that would otherwise be found in the tomb.

These would add unique challenges for weak and strong adventurers alike. It allows veteran and new players to literally treasure plunder in hopes of finding something extraordinary. This also would allow us to see new uses to stealth, wrestling and all semi-related stats. You could sneak through the trap-ridden tomb and avoid/silently incapacitate enemies while searching for these treasured items that may be among the usual piles of valuables. Perhaps you could grab that artifact platinum helmet off of the bandit leader's head as he sleeps, or plucking the elusive masterwork pig tail fiber sock off of the front step.
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Improving tombs
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 07:21:50 pm »

I like the idea of tombs not being insta-death. Not so much for them being hide-outs for criminals, though. Live ones, that is. It'd be neat to have the skeleons and corpses of dead would-be tomb robbers acting as a post-mortem guard for the corpse of a king, alongside stuff like animated statues. Although, to be balanced, mummies would need to tone down their curses and stuff. Maybe wimpy punches and some kind of slowing curse or something, or maybe a very temporary skill-reducing one...Hm. Food for thought.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 07:51:23 pm »

The thing about undead is that they don't attack other undead - so a vampire or necromancer player is immune to everything but the traps, that's why Auning was suggesting live bandits in the first place, so that the already-overpowered vamp and necromancer players don't have bonus free loot on top of that.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 09:10:25 pm »

I like the idea of tombs not being insta-death. Not so much for them being hide-outs for criminals, though. Live ones, that is. It'd be neat to have the skeleons and corpses of dead would-be tomb robbers acting as a post-mortem guard for the corpse of a king, alongside stuff like animated statues. Although, to be balanced, mummies would need to tone down their curses and stuff. Maybe wimpy punches and some kind of slowing curse or something, or maybe a very temporary skill-reducing one...Hm. Food for thought.
I think I may agree on the concept of making the mummies curse non-permanent, but more powerful. The perma-curse as it is ruins any sense of possible longevity for any adventurer. Animated statues would be very interesting, but would likely be tied into a magic release in the future.
The thing about undead is that they don't attack other undead - so a vampire or necromancer player is immune to everything but the traps, that's why Auning was suggesting live bandits in the first place, so that the already-overpowered vamp and necromancer players don't have bonus free loot on top of that.
Exactly.
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]