Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Safe from Bogeymen  (Read 4349 times)

Kongquistador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Safe from Bogeymen
« on: May 10, 2012, 04:43:36 pm »

How can I be sure I'm safe from bogeymen when I'm not in towns?  From reading around on the wiki, I know that being in a lair works, but can you sleep in the lair, or do you need to wait until dawn? 

I'm trying to do some longer distance traveling with a character who is starting to be decent, and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to make the trips which are more than one day between hamlets, or where I don't know what I'm looking for, i.e. just roughing it in the wilderness. Waiting in lairs is fine, but obviously you get drowsy pretty easily.

Any tips or guides that I may have overlooked?

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: Safe from Bogeymen
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 04:46:34 pm »

Having one follower will prevent bogeymen, and if you do not use the fast travel system at night then they won't spawn either (IIRC).
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 04:59:10 pm »

Travelling along beaches and mountains also works.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 05:56:59 pm »

So long as you have killed the inhabitant(s) of the lair, then it's safe to sleep in as wildlife/boogeymen won't come into it. Just make sure that you move a few steps into the lair proper as sleeping on the entrance ramp or in the doorway does count as being outside and therefore vulnerable to being attacked by boogeymen or dangerous animals (primarily variations of dingos).  If the lair is merely vacant, you need to be more careful as they might return while you are asleep. Caves are also boogeymen-free, but might have dangerous animals so you should look around first before sleeping. You don't want your adventurer to wake up to find a giant bat eating his or her face after all. 

Far as safe travel locations, boogeymen will not spawn in sea, mountain, or frozen biomes so you can wander around at night to your heart's content in those. You can't fast travel in seas or mountains, but you can also sneak around, swim, walk with a crutch, or all three to crank up attribute levels while waiting for dawn.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 07:05:48 pm »

Or sleep.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kongquistador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 08:52:00 pm »

Or sleep.

Do you mean that it's safe to sleep in those three biomes (mountain, frozen, ocean)?

Thanks all, very helpful replies.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 09:02:31 pm »

Haveing a campfire setup will block bogeymen from comeing near that camp fire, so make a little square with a door and sleep in the middle or something, thats what i have been doing!
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 09:28:22 pm »

Or sleep.

Do you mean that it's safe to sleep in those three biomes (mountain, frozen, ocean)?

Thanks all, very helpful replies.

Safe enough; you'll never encounter boogeymen, but the local wildlife might cause problems. More so in frozen climes than the rest since the selection of potential creatures is a lot smaller and thus has a higher likelihood of spawning something dangerous. As Klitri said, you can make a near-circle of campfires to help protect you.

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 09:44:18 pm »

In my personal experience, campires are totally and completely useless against bogeymen. They don't seem deterred by them in the slightest. It was especially nasty when I built a complete circle around myself and woke up to find a winged bogeyman chewing on my eyeball. I wasn't experienced enough to fight him and I was boxed in and so couldn't run away. Fun times. Nowadays I use the adventure mode equivalent of a danger room and spend my nights having sweet, sweet revenge. Best defense is a giant piece of bladed and preferably serrated metal to the lower body.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 10:03:58 pm »

Having one follower will prevent bogeymen, and if you do not use the fast travel system at night then they won't spawn either (IIRC).

They will spawn if you don't use fast travel, its just less common. Companions work though.

In my personal experience, campires are totally and completely useless against bogeymen. They don't seem deterred by them in the slightest. It was especially nasty when I built a complete circle around myself and woke up to find a winged bogeyman chewing on my eyeball. I wasn't experienced enough to fight him and I was boxed in and so couldn't run away. Fun times. Nowadays I use the adventure mode equivalent of a danger room and spend my nights having sweet, sweet revenge. Best defense is a giant piece of bladed and preferably serrated metal to the lower body.

This.  Go grind a groundhog to paste with wrestling, and fight back.  But only after you skilled up, or they'll devour you.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 10:10:44 pm »

I thought being a vampire prevented attacks.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 10:38:18 pm »

Most definitely not. I have been swarmed by em as a vampire.  It just makes fighting them significantly easier, you don't have to worry about passing out from pain, just bleeding to death and getting insta-killed.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 11:12:31 pm »

Do Bogeymen not attack in Good lands, or is it just very unlikely?

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 11:20:01 am »

Confirming that no fast travel = no boogeymen. Just lost all my companions to a goblin ambush, and spent the whole night walking the hard way back to town.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 11:41:00 am »

Ok, now I'm  sure. I had to trek through vast expanses of Good forests with no shelter, and not once did Boogeymen attack while I was sleeping. In neutral jungles next to it, they attacked every single night.
Pages: [1] 2