Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Fun" on embark  (Read 1603 times)

shiroun

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
"Fun" on embark
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:10:01 am »

Just a slightly amusing story I'd like to tell.

i started an embark with all peasants, as much booze as i could carry, and a couple of wardogs (m/f), a few picks, etc, so I could get going.

I'm still trying to figure out how, but around 10-15 turns in, all my booze catches on fire, EXPLODES, kills 4/7 of my dwarves, and my war dogs.

Then, one of my peasants throws a tantrum, but the other two peasants kill him off.

Oh and the fire? It killed all vegetation and life on the map in almost every direction. In an attempt to salvage the game, I started mining and making a home deep down as far as I could go, figuring that my migrants could help.

Then the migrants come.

One adult, the rest were kids.

A little bit later, one of the kids throws a tantrum, kills him parent, his friends, and one of the last two original dwarves. He then goes and attacks (i think) a water buffalo, and gets himself killed.

Now I have one guy left.

I put him on all skills, made him a bed, buried the dead, etc, trying to just stay alive till the next round. Suprisingly, some animals came into my base, as if rooting me on.

THEN A FUCKING VAMPIRE COMES. He disguises as a dwarf (or whatever they do), and comes into my base. Finds the mother (who was dead, but I never got her body) and then comes up a culprit.
My miner quickly blames it on him, and the vampire would've been okay if he'd blamed it on my miner (you know, because that isn't bad or anything), but instead, he blames it on a duckling.

He then proceeds to munch on my miner.

"fun".

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Fun" on embark
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 10:26:50 am »

what do you mean by 10-15 turns?

Also I am not a "believer" in spontaneous booze combustion.

a vampire migrated to your fort by himself and the miner accused the vampire? You said you only had one guy left.  So confused.  If the guy that's left is a vampire, then it looks like your fort is off to a good start!
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

shiroun

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 11:24:09 am »

The miner accused the vampire of killing the mom. Vampy accused a duck. Vampire killed the dwarf and ran off. Emphasis on killed, not turned. Ripped off his head or some crap.

I have no idea how the fire started then. I'm really at a loss :S

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 04:06:05 pm »

I saw that a few times on embark, a minute, or two in the wagon simply explodes in flames.
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 05:59:25 pm »

I had a random fire start when a couple of iron automaitions where fighting a kea :/ and no, none of those creatures could make anysort of fire.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 09:54:10 pm »

"Hmmm, I'll have a rat weed cigarette...."

"..."

"OH GOD, IM ON FI-"boom.

Thats how!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 11:37:40 am »

Also I am not a "believer" in spontaneous booze combustion.

The booze boils, the barrels burn. Booze does not burn. Clouds of boiling booze are symptomatic of extremely high temperatures, though, so if your booze is boiling something is probably burning. I recently encountered a crude method that can be used to predict if a military dwarf is likely to burn to death soon- if the booze in their waterskin boils, it's probably all over for them.

Were you in a scorching region on a custom world? Perhaps you embarked in a region where the outside temperature was above the ignition temperature for wood? AFAIK boiling booze cannot injure or kill a dwarf but a burning barrel certainly can.

The miner accused the vampire of killing the mom. Vampy accused a duck.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:39:31 am by Niyazov »