Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark roleplaying  (Read 2503 times)

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark roleplaying
« on: May 07, 2012, 02:50:11 pm »

Something i like do do in dwarf fort, which probably stems from the fact that i cant help but abandon my forts shortly after the first year, is to 'roleplay' my dwarves embarkment. Tiny food supply, say 1 season or fewer, next to no booze, and a bag of stolen gems. Thats right. My dorfs didnt embark from their mountainhomes, they fled with the kings royal jewels. Mayhem ensues when the first wave of migrants come, or as i like to think of them, a scouting party looking for my 7 criminals.

Something else that can be quite fun is to have my 7 dwarves be the guardians of their newly founded settlement. They dig in first and create a small living space then, just before the first caravans arrival, they go into isolation and train in their favorite weapon skill, waiting for the day when they alone will defend the fortress from countless foes. All other dwarves support the fort in the name of the founding seven. a gem for each of the founders is cut and encrusted into the finest of items and exported to spread the word of the guardians.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark roleplaying
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 03:32:41 pm »

In my current fort, I have role-played a whole scenario in my head. It started out as a quick science fort for research into animal training and clothing back when the latest update first came out. The fort is going on year 13 now. What changed everything was the discovery that we have a goblin king. That gave me the backstory for the fort: the quest for giant war animals, to ride into battle against the goblins and their fearsome mounts. I will consider this game "won" when I have three things: over 100 trained soldiers, actual domestication of a giant animal, and a dead goblin king. By "actual domestication" I do not mean taming. I mean, my civilization must list a giant animal species (it is going to be giant badgers, I just caught my second batch) as "domesticated."

Along the way to giant war badgers, my animal trainer has become a duke, I reset my population cap from 40 to 150, and I've sealed off all the caverns, including the lakes. My duke has an obsession with windows, and constantly demands windows, so that grew into a megaproject of its own: all three caverns must have their own enormous skylight window. In the middle cavern sits the dwarven metropolis of Ariliton, or "Womenhalls" in English, a vast and confusing City of Brass. Since dwarves don't have different gender roles, I figure the goblin king must have given the name as an insult. "Make clothes and train animals? Fine, you may have land. In a savage jungle, far from our civilization. Go then, to your women's hall and do your womanly things."

It's funny that a fort I set up just to do a little science has turned into the most story driven fort I've played.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 04:37:53 pm »

My duke has an obsession with windows, and constantly demands windows, so that grew into a megaproject of its own: all three caverns must have their own enormous skylight window.

Dude

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 04:40:05 pm »

1. Everyone is housed above ground.
2. Ravens are murder. (Unconditional).
3. Execution by moose pit is the only allowed justice.
4. Farming during winter halted. Discontinued due to inability to change crop rotations of several dozen farm plots every year easily.
5. Everyone in the military. Discontinued due to eventual dwindling of booze and food supplies, forming the creation of the Fortress defense - a group of at least 5 Dwarf masons and farmers who ensure the soldiers do not die. It's a beautiful reversal of other more conventional fortresses.
Recruitment reduced to just 95/100 of every Dwarf in the fort, barring children.
6. There is one expedition commander. The expedition leader, mayor and militia commander all in one.
7. There is at least one master of the farms. Tasked with keeping the bees (if any).
8. There is at least one master of masonry. Highly skilled mason, charged with architecture and creating masterwork statues.
9. There is one master of the forge. Highly skilled metalworker in all trades involving metal. Sole manufacturer of all weapons, furniture, bars and armour made out of metal.
10. The CMD is to be given a hospital within a secondary fortress, kept under guard. The CMD, or any doctors for that matter are not exempt from military duties, and so a team of doctors are required to ensure at least one doctor survives battle to patch up the wounded. If all of the doctors are killed, no new doctors are to be appointed.
11. Every single Dwarf is categorized by rank. Heavily military society, a large army is demanded to patrol the evil woods (having since been cut down for easier patrols), engaging all undead threats.
12. Everything is to be made out of blocks.
13. Every Dwarf is to be given a fully furnished grand bedroom.
14. The Dwarf that manages to kill the Goat inside the Grand Wellroom shall be given a suit of the fort's best armour.
(Something very valuable given the predicament of 95% recruitment, given there being very little metals).

One of the two 'Urist' Legendary Marksdwarves hit the goat with a trickshot bolt. The goat corpse was safely recovered, and butchered before I could dump it into the moose pit.

And more customs, I will save for a thread in the future (maybe).

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 06:23:58 pm »

How many moose per pit do you use?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 10:03:22 pm »

I've never been able to change anything on the prepare carefully screen D:

Dvalinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 11:29:59 pm »

I like to do a little RNG-inspired RP by setting goals and rules based on the randomly-generated names of the fortress and the faction that embarked there. For instance, the Tower of Books lends itself to running a society of knowledge-seekers running a giant library with a huge tower and maybe some sort of vault of secrets to keep artifacts and such. The problem is that the names often just don't lend themselves to anything interesting, so I'd lose interest in playing... and knowing that, I'd rather just start the fort over... but that's a pain, so it led to checking on the names beforehand to see if they were interesting enough and hitting randomize if they weren't, again and again... and that just feels like cheating the RNG. Ah well, I still plan on using this fun (though flawed) method once minecarts (plus whatever bugfixing is forthcoming after that) are released.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 02:04:08 am »

Masterwork mod includes a lot of profiles like this. Lost caravan, refugees from a fallen fortress, military expedition, etc.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 03:41:53 am »

I saw moose pit execution and simply thought "There really is an Armok/God.whatever."

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 06:57:16 am »

I saw moose pit execution and simply thought "There really is an Armok/God.whatever."

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 02:58:34 pm »

Exactly.

I noramlly RP My starting group embarking with some grand purpose to become a shining beacon to all dorfdom.

And then a crossbow goblin headshots my militia commander and starts such a horrible tantrum spiral that it makes no sense.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 07:10:40 pm »

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

What about llamas?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 04:55:26 pm »

How many moose per pit do you use?
Only one pit, all the moose go in that pit

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 06:27:09 pm »

Moose and nuts. :(
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.