Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Low boom, metallic ching  (Read 4582 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Low boom, metallic ching
« on: May 04, 2012, 10:53:00 pm »

So, I'm trekking to a local goblin fortress to... Make some friends.  Walking along the coast, admiring the sights, I see at the bottom of my screen, 'You hear a low boom.'  What the hell? Whatever.  Keep walking.  'You hear a metallic ching.'  Um...  Anyone know what this is about?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Low boom, metallic ching
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 11:01:55 pm »

A titan is coming, made of steel. RUN.

PS: Goblins dont appear in adventure mode, unless bandits/human civ.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 11:42:19 pm »

Yeah I found that out when I went right through the map marker.  >.< And I wish it had been a titan, all the lawgivers will give this beast of a man is bandits in camps and dungeons.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 05:26:33 am »

Birds.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 08:24:43 am »

Yeah, it's an owl.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 09:21:01 am »

Or a kakapo.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 12:12:08 pm »

Oh, that makes sense.  There was a Great Horned Owl around when it happened.  Thanks all.
He's fucking with us.

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 10:29:34 am »

I've heard those sounds while wandering around HFS, not sure why you'd hear that on the surface. You might check your world.sav to see what creature(s) make that sound.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 02:17:17 pm »

Great horned owls doesn't seem to make noise in vanilla. I'm pretty sure only capybaras make noises for now.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 03:32:59 pm »

No, that's wrong. Check the raws/play.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 07:30:05 pm »

Great horned owls doesn't seem to make noise in vanilla. I'm pretty sure only capybaras make noises for now.

only capybaras make audible noise many other creatures make "noise" with announcement text.
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 09:26:25 pm »

Audible like actual sound effect through the speaker, or you get a message about it audible? :P

Edit: And seriously, there was an owl five feet from me when I 'heard' the sounds, and I was in a cold biome on a world I've never seen ANY capybaras on.  But I'll check the raws if someone will tell me what tag to look for.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 11:34:34 pm by Hanslanda »
He's fucking with us.

Steb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 08:30:00 am »

In the raws for male kakapos:
   [SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:200:1000:VOCALIZATION:boom:booms:a low boom]
   [SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:50:1000:VOCALIZATION:ching:chings:a metallic ching]

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 09:56:41 am »

Like many parrots, the Kakapo has a variety of calls. As well as the booms (see below for a recording) and chings of their mating calls, it will often skraark to announce its location to other birds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakapo

Ok, that's a strange bird. That solves one mystery, but still leaves the question of how I was hearing flightless parrots in the HFS. The low booms and metallic chings actually added to the atmosphere quite nicely.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 09:48:37 pm »

Like many parrots, the Kakapo has a variety of calls. As well as the booms (see below for a recording) and chings of their mating calls, it will often skraark to announce its location to other birds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakapo

Ok, that's a strange bird. That solves one mystery, but still leaves the question of how I was hearing flightless parrots in the HFS. The low booms and metallic chings actually added to the atmosphere quite nicely.
This is how: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79229.0
The birds are BADASS in this game.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: [1] 2