Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Let's do the time warp again - GeoCities style! (Anti-eyebleed glasses required)  (Read 4994 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones

http://reocities.com/neighborhoods/

It seems that at least a slice of old GeoCities websites have been saved by someone who managed to get a fairly large segment of them before the shutdown in 2009. I actually found this because I was searching for my very, very ancient site because of some bizarre masochistic impulse, but I found this instead. Sadly it seems to be impossible to access specific users' sites because there is really no way to organize them, but just browsing them is great if you want to go on a nostalgia-fest to the days when personal web pages tended to be seizure-inducing.

TimesSquare is particularly hilarious if you're looking for examples of aesthetically retarded nerdiness.

Heh, here are a couple of gems:
http://reocities.com/TimesSquare/3611/ - Those are some sweet tattoos, man.
http://reocities.com/TimesSquare/3600/ - I BUY PEZ...SERIOUSLY "If they don't have feet, I want'em"
http://reocities.com/TimesSquare/4522/ - "A three-judge federal court panel has declared unconstitutional the Communications Decency Act that would limit Internet content. The judges described the Internet as ``a never-ending world conversation. The government may not interrupt that conversation.’’" You thought it would last? Ah, so naive...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:17:30 pm by Lord Dullard »

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is the greatest thing ever.  Geocities will never die as long as we remember it.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile

Dis shit cray.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

So many under construction banners...

Goddamn am I glad that even at the age of thirteen I knew better than to involve myself in this crap.  I had a cousin a few years older than me who got into a Personal Website Battle with a friend.  Just an escalating shitty pile of Tomb Raider clipart to see who could be cooler than each other.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not geocities, but it probably still counts.

If you like that, they'll design a site for you.  They charge by the inch.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:40:38 pm by Sir Finkus »

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile

As someone who was not allowed access to the internet before quality pages became more common I have to say... These geocities look like the internet got drunk and puked all over the screen.

It's awesome.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Time to live out a little nostalgia! Good times, man. Pre-1998 internet was the shit. Dialing up the Netscape and all that. Thank god I learned HTML a few years later, after people had largely discovered how awful this stuff looks, so I never made a page quite so bad. I'm probably the only one, but I find it funny looking at the broken-ass HTML in the sources.

Take HTML advice from this guy! IFrames and Horizontal-Scrolling Navigation bars never go out of style!

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm amazed that we managed to not get permanently damaged sight from browsing the web in the 90's.All the Netscape gifs/banners/whatever are making me nostalgic, though.

Not that I browsed the web much back then, browsing on my parents old 56k modem was expensive as all hell.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

And this is why I thought the World Wide Web would never catch on. I remember trying out Mosaic and looking at a few pages and thinking "Christ, this is slow. And ugly to boot. I just want information. Who on earth would give a shit about seeing someone's cats or reading what some random yahoo's favorite books are?"

And then I went back to my Lynx browser and my Gopher client and turned my back on a trillion dollars in potential money-making ideas that I could have had.

LYNX4EVER. We wuz old-skool in the day.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile

I used the internet for the first time in 1998, age 6. The only two websites I knew were ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) and some cricket website that I wonder why I remembered.

Then in early 2003 when we got a computer, I discovered Runescape, and played it more or less daily-to-weekly for almost seven years.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I used the internet for the first time in 1998, age 6. The only two websites I knew were ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) and some cricket website that I wonder why I remembered.

Then in early 2003 when we got a computer, I discovered Runescape, and played it more or less daily-to-weekly for almost seven years.

Oh gods, I played the shit out of Runescape in when I was ten or so. I think me getting online on the 56k-modem without permission to play that, with the huge phone bills it generated, was the thing that made my parents finally get an ADSL internet connection.

Edit: it's kind of funny how I'm confusing this thread with the "IM GETTING SO OLD!" thread. They're kind of merging in my memory. :o
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 04:56:55 pm by Silfurdreki »
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://reocities.com/Heartland/2122/

I don't know what to think of this.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Web 1.0 was the worst thing to ever happen to anyone.

I remember when everyone was complaining about the whole Web 2.0 design shift. "Why does everything have to have rounded corners?" God, the world was dumb back then.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile

http://reocities.com/Heartland/2122/

I don't know what to think of this.

If you go to the guestbook, it looks like everyone on there is a spambot. But the sad truth is, none of them are spambots, they're completely genuine. How things have changed...

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welcome... to the technology of the future!
We have numbers!
Obnoxious noises!
Parking solutions!
Detailed listings and pictures of our family members, showing their favorite activites and websites!
Tributes to suicide cults!
Wedding Details!
Super cool... somethings!
and many more gems!

This is pretty damn sweet. Seeing it again, I almost miss that "sorry, under construction" sign that would pop up after almost every link. Almost made it rewarding to come across a page that had actually been completed :p
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:43:28 am by Agdune »
I'm Mr. Cellophane
Pages: [1] 2