Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Making an underwaterfortress the hard way  (Read 13091 times)

vicwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making an underwaterfortress the hard way
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2012, 10:40:51 am »

Naw do it the dwarven way cast a huge block of obsidian,drop it and carve it out also if you want windows you could use presure plates that automatically close a row of floodgates or a bridge that seals it until you repair and drain it.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2012, 12:50:59 pm »

Megaproject idea:  Underwater fortress that is self-sealing (and self-draining) in event of a breach.  Too dorfy for my blood though.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2012, 01:03:45 pm »

No, have it so each individual section can be flooded and drained individually.
far more dwarfy than self sealing, though making it that it auto seals a segment when you start to flood it may help.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2012, 01:06:20 pm »

Seems like it would get out of hand really easy unless your command and control center can't be flooded.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2012, 01:44:12 pm »

i would think it would be easier to cast a solid block and drop it to the sea floor then carve it out.

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2012, 05:30:10 am »

Construction speed of anything: limited by surface area for masons to stand and the number of masons that you have, plus the amount there is to build. Building a ring requires fewer blocks than building a large square area.

But you only need floor on one level, you need walls on all levels.  So it depends how deep your sea is, and how roughly circular your block is.
You need to drop the ring at the end anyways in order to sever the connection to the sea floor.

Right but that means building more gantries from scratch so it's a separate cost.

I never said that I pumped out the water. I used my magma supply to ignite an iron bin full of coal bars, and dropped that in the interior to boil away all the water. Even if I wanted to mine out on the sea floor, that doesn't require a dwarf sacrifice - you can have your miners survive if you do it properly.

Hmm, the burning bin is interesting but I would be worried about it setting something important on fire later.  How exactly can you have a dwarf survive digging a ocean drain?  I'd really like to be able to do that, I couldn't think of a way at all :(

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2012, 06:06:43 am »

How exactly can you have a dwarf survive digging a ocean drain?  I'd really like to be able to do that, I couldn't think of a way at all :(

If your problem is high-pressure water chasing and catching your miner, put in a diagonal before the point of puncture. It'll take out the pressure. Or just make a longish tunnel with a raising bridge before the point of puncture (upward ramp) and raise it immediately after the miner punctures. If done right, he'll end up in less than 7/7 water draining out of the tunnel. If done wrong, he's mercifully atom-smashed.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2012, 06:15:16 am »

If your problem is high-pressure water chasing and catching your miner, put in a diagonal before the point of puncture. It'll take out the pressure. Or just make a longish tunnel with a raising bridge before the point of puncture (upward ramp) and raise it immediately after the miner punctures. If done right, he'll end up in less than 7/7 water draining out of the tunnel. If done wrong, he's mercifully atom-smashed.

It's an ocean drain, the water on the z levels above means it'll insta flood to 7/7.

edit:  wait you mean drain the whole thing through a single diagonal??  I think I'd rather sacrifice a dwarf.  He can have a statue or something.

Edit2: Actualy do vampires breathe?  Probably not.  Hmm
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 06:16:56 am by Symmetry »

vicwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2012, 06:24:43 am »

vampires do not beathe but they are REALLY slow cause of soberness and probably will drain a few dwarves of blood in his way.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2012, 09:06:06 am »

How exactly can you have a dwarf survive digging a ocean drain?  I'd really like to be able to do that, I couldn't think of a way at all :(

Methods:

A. Dig a hall to the drain location, as well as to the drain (caverns). Build a door at the far end. Link it to a lever. Ensure that it is closed. Dig a ramp in the wall adjacent to the door, such that water can only enter at a diagonal (depressurizer). Dwarf easily outruns depressurized water back to safety. Open the linked door to allow high-pressure ocean water to flow to the drain.

B. (Exploit method). Dig a hall to the drain location, as well as to the drain. Dig a "safe" access hallway underneath the "ocean" end of the first. Channel a hole in the floor between the two hallways, and cover it with a permanently-shut bridge. A dwarf standing under the bridge on one of the ramp tiles can safely dig an upwards ramp through the closed bridge on the z-level above. The drain hallway floods with pressurized water, but the access hall remains dry because of the bridge.

...Hmm, the burning bin is interesting but I would be worried about it setting something important on fire later.  ...

The bins don't burn forever, just for several months. You could avoid it, and by the time your construction is finished it would be cold.

Construction speed of anything: limited by surface area for masons to stand and the number of masons that you have, plus the amount there is to build. Building a ring requires fewer blocks than building a large square area.
But you only need floor on one level, you need walls on all levels.  So it depends how deep your sea is, and how roughly circular your block is.
You need to drop the ring at the end anyways in order to sever the connection to the sea floor.
Right but that means building more gantries from scratch so it's a separate cost.

Just so we are on the same page, this is a cross-section of the ring I am proposing to build:
Code: [Select]
_█_█_
The central underscore is a bridge that drops the magma ring when full. One of the walls that retains the magma in the ring is on the outside of the cast obsidian wall, so I can drop the ring at the end to sever the ground. The ring is only 1-z-level high because I drop the magma into the ocean in stages to cast the wall.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2012, 09:22:10 am »

dwarf cancels action: interrupted by shortfin mako shark x 1200

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2012, 03:44:26 pm »

A. Dig a hall to the drain location, as well as to the drain (caverns). Build a door at the far end. Link it to a lever. Ensure that it is closed. Dig a ramp in the wall adjacent to the door, such that water can only enter at a diagonal (depressurizer). Dwarf easily outruns depressurized water back to safety. Open the linked door to allow high-pressure ocean water to flow to the drain.

Of course, you can dig diagonally.  I'm a fool.
Thank you!  It's too late for this one but if I ever do it again I'll use your way.

Just so we are on the same page, this is a cross-section of the ring I am proposing to build:
Code: [Select]
_█_█_
The central underscore is a bridge that drops the magma ring when full. One of the walls that retains the magma in the ring is on the outside of the cast obsidian wall, so I can drop the ring at the end to sever the ground. The ring is only 1-z-level high because I drop the magma into the ocean in stages to cast the wall.

Well, I don't follow.  if you drop the obsidian in stages (obsidian right?  not magma?) that's fine, and then you'll need a new cast one square out from the original.  So you'll need to build a new wall won't you?

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2012, 09:25:25 pm »

You drop the magma.  It hits the ocean water and forms an obsidian ring, which sinks to the ocean floor.  Repeat the process, stacking one ring on the other, until your wall extends to the surface of the ocean.

I still prefer the solid block method, since it gives me nice engravable obsidian floors and carved obsidian fortifications to project the windows from building destroyers.
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2012, 09:51:57 pm »

I thought things could swim through fortifications if they were entirely submerged.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2012, 10:16:19 pm »

I thought things could swim through fortifications if they were entirely submerged.

Yes, they can swim through submerged fortifications.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4