Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shameful Display!  (Read 4407 times)

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shameful Display!
« on: May 01, 2012, 08:47:20 pm »

One of my many great armorers got a mood.
I painstakingly chose the materials for it...or at least I thought I did.
The end result:

Silver. I swore I had forbade every metal bar except steel ones (I double checked even!). But for some reason he picked a silver bar. Its only worth 70800 dwarfbucks.

But thats not all, look closely at what its depicting.

Its praising the exploits of an ELF! I dont know wether to whip the armorer or get him to start pumping steel armor.

So, are silver artifact chain leggings useful?  I know silver is bad for armor but what about chainmail? At the very least I should be able to use its weight as training clothes or something right?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shameful Display!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 08:48:25 pm »

Some elves are awesome. One is so epic, it even has its own wiki page.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:49:00 pm »

Platinum greaves and alien conspiracies.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

the_game_hunt

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_MERCY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 08:51:20 pm »

"Silver armor"...

LOL!!!

As far as I know if they want "bars" they will pick the nearest bar they find, so putting adamantine/steel near the workshop would help.

also, forbidding bars is relatively easy via the stocks menu.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:54:13 pm by the_game_hunt »
The spinning (silk shoe) strikes the Baron in the left upper arm, bruising the skin!
The Baron has been shot and killed.

WARNING! I'm not responsible for damaging/destroying your post!

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 09:05:00 pm »

As far as I know if they want "bars" they will pick the nearest bar they find, so putting adamantine/steel near the workshop would help.

also, forbidding bars is relatively easy via the stocks menu.

I forbid every bar in the fort except steel ones to have steel chain legging instead of silver ones. Maybe the smelter finished a silver bar afterwards or something.

Some elves are awesome. One is so epic, it even has its own wiki page.
Well yeah but it would have been so much better to have exclusively dwarven exploits engraved in my artifacts. Or forgotten beasts at least.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:12:14 pm »

I wouldn't be too upset about it. The image is most likely on the dwarf's butt.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 09:12:40 pm »

I seem to recall that forbidding materials makes no difference for an artifact.  Neither does whether a stone is considered economic or marked as not for use on the Stone screen.  Moody Dwarves use what moody Dwarves want to use.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 09:30:02 pm »

I seem to recall that forbidding materials makes no difference for an artifact.  Neither does whether a stone is considered economic or marked as not for use on the Stone screen.  Moody Dwarves use what moody Dwarves want to use.
Ive made lots of custom material artifacts by selective forbiding via stock screen (bookeeper is almost legendary at this point). Everytime a dwarf gets a mood several industires have to stop because I forbid everything in my quest for ultimate customization. Hell, I used to save and reroll artifacts when it came to weapons and armor crafters and instead of a Great White Shark Leather Cape I got a Great White Shark Leather Cap (via "going back in time"), but Ive long since abandoned such cheaty ways.

One of my main objectives in every fort is to set the industries up so I can separate the masterworks and mix them together exactly the way I want. Even if it takes several years to set up.
Yeah, Im kind of a control freak when it comes to my precious military gear.

I wouldn't be too upset about it. The image is most likely on the dwarf's butt.
You know, when you put it like that...
But still, how great is silver chainmail?

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 10:25:45 pm »

reroll
I sense the presence of another Baldur's Gate player . . .

Personally, I savescum artifacts only for roleplaying purposes, if the item is something that I personally find stupid--for instance, if they make an artifact shoe or glove, I'll savescum, not because I dislike shoes/glove, but because I know there's no way in hell that anyone's going to make a matching one. I might feel roughly the same about an artifact heralding the exploits of an elf.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 10:31:27 pm »

We don't have midget lycanthropes, in game, do we?  It'd surely stop them gnawing on your dwarf's legs, if they were a danger.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 09:59:53 am »

if you want to control moods, use burrows, and forbid any items in the workshop you don't want him to use.  If he grabs silver, burrow him on some steel and forbid the silver.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

saurio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 10:12:07 am »

I think the easiest way is to make tiny stockpiles of desired materials near corresponding workshops. Dwarves just grab whatever is nearest, so make like a 1x3 stockpile of steel bars by the forge, steel moods guaranteed. Works for all materias and shops as far as I know.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 10:26:04 am »

Ive made lots of custom material artifacts by selective forbiding via stock screen
It may be then that forbidding from the Stocks screen and forbidding from the Stone screen work differently, or that it has changed since 40d.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 10:41:59 am »

I think the easiest way is to make tiny stockpiles of desired materials near corresponding workshops. Dwarves just grab whatever is nearest, so make like a 1x3 stockpile of steel bars by the forge, steel moods guaranteed. Works for all materias and shops as far as I know.

This.  It's simple and works fine for me.  When a strange mood hits I lock the doors to the workshops about to be claimed until I have the materials I want directly on top of them.  Then I unlock the doors and let them in.  Seems to work fine.  You have to guess what they are going to want though.

I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 11:21:21 am »

Indeed, though it is a real pain to organize everything because then I have to do the same for every other industry or possible mood and then theres designing it so the hauling times arent eternal. As an architecture student, disorganized organic growth of a fortress and "making room as needed" makes me a very sad panda.

Ive made lots of custom material artifacts by selective forbiding via stock screen
It may be then that forbidding from the Stocks screen and forbidding from the Stone screen work differently, or that it has changed since 40d.
I dont think Ive ever used the stone screen to forbid anything, the stocks screen has always sat right by me. And should a moody dwarf haul an undesired good into the workshop (say brown jaspers instead of that juicy black diamond you bought just for this ocasion) you can always forbid said item from the stocks screen and the moody dwarf will look for the next one available.
If I had known Urist McArmorer had sneaked a silver bar inside instead of all the steel bars laying around I would have instantly forbid all silver bars.
You know what probably hapened now that I think further on it? Some dwarf must have been hauling the silver bar just as I was forbidding all the items in the stocks screen and only afterwards he placed it in the coresponding stockpile. It happened before when I forbade every log except tower-caps, a woodcutter brought in an acacia log and the moody dwarf grabbed that instead. Lucky I laways follow the moody dwarf around and check his inventory.
Pages: [1] 2