Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: magma smelting  (Read 1537 times)

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
magma smelting
« on: May 01, 2012, 05:48:20 pm »

For those of us that haven't played in ages, what is the proper mining pattern to get magma arranged to build smelters and forges?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: magma smelting
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 06:10:25 pm »

Your workshop area needs to be two layers. Dig them both out.

Fill the bottom layer with magma. When you go to build a magma workshop, notice that some tiles are dark green and some are light green. The dark green tiles are impassible. Channel out a tile that will correspond to one of the unpathable tiles of the workshop, so that the workshop itself keeps dwarves safe from accidentally tumbling into the magma. The workshop will receive power from the magma through the unpathable tile.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 06:43:58 pm »

instead of digging out whole layers you may plan ahead where which workshop might be
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 06:50:11 pm »

instead of digging out whole layers you may plan ahead where which workshop might be

You don't need to dig out the entire map, sure, but you do need two layers of rock dug out. How big the rooms are is up to you. Maybe for some reason you want 100 magma smelters.  :D

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 07:37:59 pm »

You don't need to dig out the entire map, sure, but you do need two layers of rock dug out. How big the rooms are is up to you. Maybe for some reason you want 100 magma smelters.  :D

These are dwarves we're talking about.

NEVER.
ENOUGH.
MAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGMMMMMMMAAAAA!!!!!!!!!! SMELTERS.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 11:55:43 pm »

Lol. I use the same room in every fort. 4 smelters, 4 forges. All furnaces, including smelters, impassable tile is top center. Forge is center left and right. So I dig a circle around the perimeter under the room, fill it, and when I channel the impassable locations, there's the magma waiting.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?