Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What the....  (Read 3057 times)

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What the....
« on: May 01, 2012, 07:55:23 am »

Okay so my fort is going really well but there is now a HUGE problem!!!

The outpost liason just wasn't leaving, forever conducting a meeting. So i just ordered my men to attack him, now there seem to be rogue dwarves doing stupid things, they arnt berserk but people are shooting each other, hitting each other with training weapons... Please, make it stop...

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
Re: What the....
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 07:58:09 am »

Okay so my fort is going really well but there is now a HUGE problem!!!

The outpost liason just wasn't leaving, forever conducting a meeting. So i just ordered my men to attack him, now there seem to be rogue dwarves doing stupid things, they arnt berserk but people are shooting each other, hitting each other with training weapons... Please, make it stop...

It's called a Loyalty Cascade and the only way I'm aware of stopping it is killing all the angry dwarves without using another dwarf.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 07:58:40 am »

Loyalty cascade.  The soldiers who killed your liaison became enemies of your civilization due to attacking a civilization member.  They were still counted as members of the local group, however.  Another dwarf saw them and attacked them, due to them being enemies of the civilization.  Those dwarves became enemies of the local group, though still civilization members.  Another dwarf saw them and attacked them, etc.  This continues until every dwarf in the fortress is attacking every other dwarf in the fortress.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 08:10:24 am »

OH GAWD!!! This is....... terrible......

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 08:39:25 am »

Loyalty cascades are like a zombie rage virus.
Lockdown the infected area until they starve to death. Any dwarf that comes into contact with them is compromised.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:07:43 am »

OH GAWD!!! This is....... terrible...... FUN !  :P
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 11:03:01 am »

If the liaison was conducting the meeting for real, then you can still use the old trick to make it faster. Just pause the game, and then designate/undesignate some mining with pressed mouse button - the game uses that pause to actually perform many calculations, including conducting meetings (and cat adoptions), with accelerated rate. Or just leave the game paused and do drink something, but this would take a bit longer than the mouse trick.

If the liaison was only said to conduct the meeting, but he wasn't doing it for real, hanging around instead (this may be caused by killing a merchant or animal accompanying him) then he should leave on his own after about 6 months or so - with message about "stymied diplomacy", which is irrelevant I believe.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 11:22:26 am »

Do you want this fort to survive, or are you being entertained by the chaos?

If you want it to survive, isolate a few dwarves with no friends so they'll survive the chaos and keep the fort alive. Wait for a migrant wave, and keep the migrants away from your current residents. You can restart the fort properly with migrants when your current dwarves are all dead.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 05:44:52 pm »

Do you have war animals?

[Isolate your surviving military. Or at the very least disarm everyone.]

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 01:05:03 am »

I once did this on purpose to a nice jungle fort run by a badass speardwarf baroness. She was actually nicknamed Col. Kurtz since this was very much an ivory outpost (elephant economy, before grazing), and she rose to power as mayor seconds after killing two squad members in a fit of rage.

Kurtz not only surved the loyalty cascade that was supposed to end the dull safe fort, but scored something like 6 kills, and not even a blow to her happiness. Just went back to happily training, feet away from the only other survivor--a brutally crippled, but also civ-hostile marksdwarf.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 01:24:01 am »

I always get a kick out of it when a thread is created to express disbelief at the treasonous actions of dwarves during a tantrum spiral. It's the omnipresent recurring thread topic of every version of the game. :P

I had to deal with one I created for myself when my kobold burrow's trading buddies left without relinquishing any of the goods I wanted to trade them for. I ordered my kobolds to go stab them to death, which they did. Then they turned on each other, and the slaughter moved back indoors when I deactivated the squad and they all fled back to the hovels, interrupting eachother. They caught the attention of the various beasts in our possession, including a bronze golem. With the animals involved, it turned into an all out homicide fest, killing everyone until migrants arrived at the last minute. They of course could not be permitted indoors with that golem smashing everyone and everything in sight.

I again had to deal with the tail end of one in the Hellcannon succession game, where CatalystParadox' dwarf was locked in her tower until she spontaneously decided to go for a walk. Being a double-traitor of both fort and country, nobody really took a liking to her and immediately the marksdwarves began firing, and she eventually made it back inside her tower, only to be assassinated some months later while she slept. It's better to just read my turn in the Hellcannon thread for that story, really.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 02:29:22 am »

note that merchants from your home civ are also included in the "don't kill" group

I love how this topic comes up quite regularly
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 03:22:27 pm »

I always get a kick out of it when a thread is created to express disbelief at the treasonous actions of dwarves during a tantrum spiral. It's the omnipresent recurring thread topic of every version of the game. :P

Loyalty cascades are better than spirals.

They're all like... Wooooo....

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 04:04:13 pm »

The most awesome thing to attach to "the lever"?

A simple floodgate.

Really.

But what's behind it? You ask... not water... not magma... not a forgotten beast, oh no.

Behind the floodgate, you keep the traitor vampire.  (Created by locking the outpost liason in with a hungry vamp, and letting nature take its course.)

Why a vampire?  Doesn't eat. Doesn't sleep. Stores indeffinately.  Compact storage requirements. Just pull lever for !!fun!!.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 06:39:34 pm »

Outpost liaisons don't sleep, so the vampire won't even dine on him. But you could just assign the vampire to a squad by himself as give the squad the order to kill the liaison. But make sure no one else is around when you do it, then send the vampire (still using squad orders) to his holding cell.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: [1] 2