Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tips for battling a forgotten beast  (Read 6445 times)

Wurokian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tips for battling a forgotten beast
« on: April 30, 2012, 09:56:11 am »

hey there

So i have recently encountered my first forgotten beast in the first underground cavern reached:

Its the B in the lower right corner
The staircase to my fortress is the X in the lower left corner

The beast appears to be some kind of shelled blob that spits webs.

My military is so to say ... modest. It is made of 10 fresh recruits with dabling-competent fighting skills, copper weapons and leather armor.

Do i have chances to take on this blob beast or should i just hatch up my stairways and hope it goes away?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Tips for battling a forgotten beast
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 10:04:21 am »

It's a blob made of mud.  A single solid hit will kill it.

The only tricky bit will be the webbing, since forgotten beasts with webs now work.  Your soldiers might be unable to reach it, being constantly stuck on webbing.

If you do decide to fight it, I recommend doing so on the staircase, so your soldiers can get into hand-to-hand combat range with it.

If you decide to wall up your stairs, it won't go away.  Once a forgotten beast enters your map, it never leaves.  It'll hang around until killed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:34:49 am »

Crossbows + more crossbows, hit from two sides if possible.  Also assign war dogs, they can field webs for the crossbow dudes and maybe slow the beast down while it gets shot.

Probably not a big deal since it's made from mud...

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 10:57:57 am »

Web-spitting mud ball? Cave-in trap + cage traps = automated web turret!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 01:55:00 pm »

Web-spitting mud ball? Cave-in trap + cage traps = automated web turret!

Silk clothes made out of mud.

Wurokian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 02:01:50 pm »

Oh well  that was disappointing

As i was preparing my tiny military for what i expected to be a glorious battle, a random woodcutter came down the staircase and KICKED the blob once.

Apparently that was enough to make it fall over and die. The poor thing didnt even have time to shoot a web.

That was utterly pathetic, i fought monkeys more formidable than that.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 02:04:13 pm »

Oh well  that was disappointing

As i was preparing my tiny military for what i expected to be a glorious battle, a random woodcutter came down the staircase and KICKED the blob once.

Apparently that was enough to make it fall over and die. The poor thing didnt even have time to shoot a web.

That was utterly pathetic, i fought monkeys more formidable than that.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 03:53:26 pm »

There will be more. Some of them will not be pushovers.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 05:30:20 pm »

Rule of thumb for things you don't want near your dorfs is to spam it with crossbow bolts until it dies. Later forts, spam it with adamantine clad psychopaths.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

MrButtchicker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 08:02:42 pm »

Heh. I fought a demon just like that but leading a siege. Only the fact that he was made of steel, and WAS made into a web farm.

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 11:29:01 am »

my forgotten beast is made of schorl. it is a hornbill and swims. When it's in the water, does the shorl turn to muddy stone?

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 12:05:05 pm »

Just had a giantess decide to siege my fort with no militia. Ironically it entered through the passage way to the BARRACKS. managed to lock it in and pit a GCS and a helmet snake in. Turns out the GCS webs it constantly enough that it can't defend against the snake. So far none of them have had to dodge anything and the giantess is swollen and rotted in every body part. Extremely amused that an attempt to delay it while I form a militia was the perfect way to kill it safely. Will now be separating my GCS and HS populations into pairs of one each, and using this anti-megabeast combo as a !!WEAPON!! Would definitely recommend it if you can get them from the dwarven traders. Doesn't matter how long it takes since they don't need to eat, so no need to wake up your militia.

The snake has done all this damage to it, the spider has yet to attack it yet, just spams web (which guarantees perma-stun).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:13:40 pm by Morpha »
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 02:41:51 pm »

I had a venomous ice spider attack my fortress once. That means it got a venomous bite AND webs, and it crushed most of my powerful military. And since it was made from ice, it was unkillable by normal means. Some brave animals stood up, getting locked in an endless battle with it and I had to abandon the fort since everyone was scared.

Be very afraid the next time you encounter a FB with webs.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

PoodleIncident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 03:05:38 pm »

The only tricky bit will be the webbing, since forgotten beasts with webs now work.  Your soldiers might be unable to reach it, being constantly stuck on webbing.

If you do decide to fight it, I recommend doing so on the staircase, so your soldiers can get into hand-to-hand combat range with it.

If you decide to wall up your stairs, it won't go away.  Once a forgotten beast enters your map, it never leaves.  It'll hang around until killed.

Hmm... that's news. I didn't know that they would revanish from the units list. Good thing the siege caused a tantrum spiral before I decided I needed more towercaps.

vicwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 03:23:10 pm »

i got a FB whit deadly dust which did something to my dwarves limbs and organs even my military hero to militia commander suffocated to death now loading a earlier save and if the beast comes again im going to have to seal the caverns.
Pages: [1] 2