Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Something very weird happened to my client.  (Read 1905 times)

Obyekt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Something very weird happened to my client.
« on: April 30, 2012, 07:59:43 am »

Hello, I made an account just to share this with you guys.
I looked in all the sections and I found this section the most interesting one to post this (please move the thread if I am wrong). I also figured that there is a bug reporting section, but it was closed and I wanted answers from other players. Also, I don't want this fixed because it's great.

So.

A few days ago, I was playing DF and I noticed something strange: Where the border of map usually is, I had just black and I could move around freely.

So I set my dwarves to mine there. This is what happened:

Basically, what happens, when I set an assignment in the 'hidden' tile, the tile is 'unlocked'. I assume the tile is not generated but actually comes from my world save, as if I had embarked there.

Possible FUN applications: dig your way to a dwarven city and loot everything. Dig your way to a goblin city and destroy them all. Make a congregation of different forts that are connected via underground tunnels. The possibilities of this 'bug' are endless!

Is this normal? Is this a bug?

I have uploaded my client and that savegame on MediaFire (it has a great virus scan, so don't worry) and I would like some people to test this out for me.

Here are the facts:
-The 'unlocked tile' is fully functional. Water flows. Dwarves behave normally.
-The rest of my fort is still functional. I get sieges. Dwarves get upset if their kin is killed.
-I can go on forever.
-It only works underground, for as far as I know.
-It only works in the south direction, for as far as I know.

I have no mods installed except for Phoebus.

Thanks in forward!
Here's the mediafire link: http://www.mediafire.com/?cc2fpns0exmunzu
And here's the original post on another forum (I am Arglax): http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=340432&page=9
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:04:52 am by Obyekt »

Cook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Something very weird happened to my client.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 08:49:50 am »

Erm for some reason the dwarf client choosed the whole map without asking you :o
Its a bug actualy because the zones farther from the box which is the area you choosed can only be revealed by putting a mining mark
Time for pics :)
you can see the map that looks like this on the right side of dwarf fortress client

Example of showing the black parts of the map
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Obyekt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:09:18 am »

This is great.
So, can I do this again in a new save?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 09:12:21 am »

I am still not sure what you are claiming is happening.  When you designate unrevealed tiles to be mined, they get revealed?

Also, it isn't a 'client'.  DF isn't a client-server type game, it's completely stand-alone.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Obyekt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 09:49:02 am »

I am still not sure what you are claiming is happening.  When you designate unrevealed tiles to be mined, they get revealed?

Also, it isn't a 'client'.  DF isn't a client-server type game, it's completely stand-alone.

Then download my dwarf fortress.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 12:31:01 pm »

After taking a look, it seems like the embark area was somehow lengthened to 16 embark tiles southward, and the resulting land isn't being generated until you designate there.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Obyekt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 12:38:26 pm »

Odd, since I never designated it to be 16 tiles long.
I thought it was even impossible to embark on such a large square.

Cook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 02:39:56 pm »

Its actualy cool and strange bug I hope there will be a good explanation really soon about how it happended and if its possible to be done again
@Sphalerite stop playing the smartass you're doin it wrong

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 03:01:21 pm »

I thought it was even impossible to embark on such a large square.

In theory, the game lets you embark on sites up to 16x16.  In practice, that is usually impossible due to memory use restrictions.

I haven't had a chance to download and test your save yet.  Should be able to tonight.  It sounds like you have discovered a new and exciting form of bugged embarks.  I recommend opening a bug report at the mantis bug reporting page and posting a link to your save there.

ETA:  Ok, I downloaded it and looked.  That is a very broken map.  The whole bottom three-quarters is mostly some black void that not even dfhack reveal can penetrate, except for the strip you've mined into, which appears to be a handful of normal-looking stone layers with open sky above and below it.  The open sky under it goes below hell.  Yeah, make a bug report on mantis and link to the save.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:02:23 pm by Sphalerite »
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 10:14:31 pm »

Could it be that !!neat!! old bug involving old memory thingies jamming up worldgen, in its newest iteration?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Obyekt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 01:33:45 pm »

I have no idea what you're talking about, but this has to be the greatest bug ever.

Cook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 02:20:21 pm »

I have no idea what you're talking about, but this has to be the greatest bug ever.
true it is actualy you can expand on the area as much as you want and whenever you want