Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: vampires....  (Read 3635 times)

eltheon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
vampires....
« on: April 25, 2012, 04:54:40 am »

ok, so i havent played in a long time and iv just started again as an adventurer in the realm of tempests and i just got a quest to kill a vampire who is hiding in a community who has killed a whopping 1558 people im kinda scared any advice on finding him or killing him?

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: vampires....
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 05:04:58 am »

talk to the people there, ask for service, they will point to you the house where the vampire lives. Those kills are mainly from feeding, so dont be worried about him, he is probably some kind of cheesemaker with as much fighting skill as a dead clam. dont forget to drink his blood afterward :D
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

eltheon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 05:13:31 am »

talk to the people there, ask for service, they will point to you the house where the vampire lives. Those kills are mainly from feeding, so dont be worried about him, he is probably some kind of cheesemaker with as much fighting skill as a dead clam. dont forget to drink his blood afterward :D
drinking it on a practical scale or will it make me a vampire too? o.0

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 05:16:44 am »

Only mostly accurate. Yes, most of those kills are from feeding, but the fighting skill and profession of the vampire varies greatly. In worlds with very long histories, they are often quite capable, and my most recent adventurer vampire hunter had to face two soldier vampires in a row, complete with real weapons and iron armour. That said, any nearby villagers will gladly pile in to help after you use the "accuse of being a night creature" conversation topic and they do a wonderful job of attracting the vampire's attention. When in doubt, inspect your vampire with (l) to see what sort of gear they're carrying and if you decide not to risk it, just don't accuse them. They're entirely nonhostile until provoked and will gladly direct you to something else to kill if you talk to them about service.

Relating to your last post: yes, you will become a vampire if you drink the blood, with all the benefits and disadvantages that entails.

eltheon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 05:21:32 am »

Only mostly accurate. Yes, most of those kills are from feeding, but the fighting skill and profession of the vampire varies greatly. In worlds with very long histories, they are often quite capable, and my most recent adventurer vampire hunter had to face two soldier vampires in a row, complete with real weapons and iron armour. That said, any nearby villagers will gladly pile in to help after you use the "accuse of being a night creature" conversation topic and they do a wonderful job of attracting the vampire's attention. When in doubt, inspect your vampire with (l) to see what sort of gear they're carrying and if you decide not to risk it, just don't accuse them. They're entirely nonhostile until provoked and will gladly direct you to something else to kill if you talk to them about service.

Relating to your last post: yes, you will become a vampire if you drink the blood, with all the benefits and disadvantages that entails.
lol those being? and also like is there any specific way to tell if someone is a vampire

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 05:32:42 am »

advantages : healing, no need to eat or drink... wine. no age, not being attacked by undead. I think that's all.
disadvantage : having to sneak and bite people every so often, but you can do it on an sentient creature after strangling him so that's no big deal.

It a good first step for becoming a necromancer.

I never tried but can we retain control of an adventurer after being huskfied?
cant stop playing DF?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 06:25:38 am »

but you can do it on an sentient creature after strangling him

I never tried but can we retain control of an adventurer after being huskfied?
You don't need a sentient creature, I have sucked the blood of ravens. And as for your second question, yes.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 06:59:04 am »

I found out 15 minutes ago after feeding on black bears, deers and cougars. even on kobolds. If you want to do some serious exploration you need to be a vampire/husk
cant stop playing DF?

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 07:58:41 am »

Isn't another disadvantage of becoming a vampire that your stats (strength, dex, toughness etc) no longer increase, since you are "undead"?  Skills (fighter, swimmer, etc) still definitely increase just fine though, so this isn't really an issue unless you are planning to powerlevel your adventurer...

I am not totally sure about this, and it doesn't say anything on the wiki, but I thought I read it somewhere and it *seems* like my vamp adventurers never increase their basic stats, but that happens really slowly anyway, so I'm not sure.

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 09:03:13 am »

Isn't another disadvantage of becoming a vampire that your stats (strength, dex, toughness etc) no longer increase, since you are "undead"?  Skills (fighter, swimmer, etc) still definitely increase just fine though, so this isn't really an issue unless you are planning to powerlevel your adventurer...

I am not totally sure about this, and it doesn't say anything on the wiki, but I thought I read it somewhere and it *seems* like my vamp adventurers never increase their basic stats, but that happens really slowly anyway, so I'm not sure.

I happen to know that becoming a vampire will significantly increase your Agility, and also that my vampire-necromancer has definently increased his Kinesthetic and Spatial Senses recently.... so perhaps it is slowed, but not outright stopped?

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 09:56:54 am »

NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN, NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST
You will not be able to raise your strength, agility, toughness, endurance, recuperation, or disease resistance once you are a vampire, and they will not rust from disuse. Unless you sit around doing nothing but passing time, no rust is irrelevant.  Endurance also becomes irrelevant once you're vamped(you also get NO_EXERT), and you can't raise recuperation or disease resistance anyway. So, it would be best in the long run to wait until you've got pretty high strenth, agility and toughness. Mental attributes are unaffected.

Vampires also get a slight CE_BODY_MAT_INTERACTION bonus, which makes all attacks against them slightly less effective.

Vampires also seem to take a speed hit (to about 1200) due to a bug with them trying to blend in with the masses.

Vanilla vampires do not get an agility bonus. I AM DUMB
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:46:54 am by Hylas »

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 09:08:17 pm »

NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN, NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST
You will not be able to raise your strength, agility, toughness, endurance, recuperation, or disease resistance once you are a vampire, and they will not rust from disuse. Unless you sit around doing nothing but passing time, no rust is irrelevant.  Endurance also becomes irrelevant once you're vamped(you also get NO_EXERT), and you can't raise recuperation or disease resistance anyway. So, it would be best in the long run to wait until you've got pretty high strenth, agility and toughness. Mental attributes are unaffected.

Vampires also get a slight CE_BODY_MAT_INTERACTION bonus, which makes all attacks against them slightly less effective.

Vampires also seem to take a speed hit (to about 1200) due to a bug with them trying to blend in with the masses.

Vanilla vampires do not get an agility bonus.
[CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:AGILITY:200:0]

Actually, they have the agility doubled.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 01:16:19 am »

But at that point it is locked. So your best thing to do would be to get as high as possible in strength, agility, and toughness before drinking the blood, that way you get the largest boost possible.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 03:59:48 pm »

I carry vampire blood around for emergencys, like almost being dehydrated or starveing to death or mabye i need to attack a tougher person. I think of the blood as...medicine.
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 04:03:04 pm »

I carry vampire blood around for emergencys, like almost being dehydrated or starveing to death or mabye i need to attack a tougher person. I think of the blood as...medicine.
That's friggin brilliant. Good plan, man.
Pages: [1] 2