Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Minecarts, could adamanite be used for something non-violent?  (Read 6673 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seeing as how minecarts are being implemented, and adamanite is so light, could it be possible for adamanite to make minecarts "safe" for high-traffic areas, or would the momentum simply make up for the weight-loss? Opinions?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecarts, could adamanite be used for something non-violent?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 08:38:58 pm »

...or would the momentum simply make up for the weight-loss?...

Depends on the velocity cap. If no velocity cap, and friction is independant of velocity, then fast light carts are dangerous. If no velocity cap and friction increases with velocity, then only heavy carts are dangerous. If there is a velocity cap, then only heavy carts are dangerous.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 08:40:29 pm »

Weight issues are more likely to be a matter of what's in the carts than what the carts are made of. It doesn't much matter if you're using extremely lightweight carts if you're loading them down with tons of stone, after all. It may be a difference of, like, 5% between a lead cart filled with ore and an adamantine cart filled with ore, which isn't going to make the lighter cart much safer than the heavier.

No, if you want to make high-traffic areas safe, you'll either have to not route minecarts through them or make sure they don't go through them with too much speed. We'll see how possible that is when we see how they're actually implemented.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 08:49:37 pm »

Or you could just route all your lead ore filled carts through your dinning room and train all your dorf's dodge up.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 08:59:20 pm »

I foresee an exciting new addition to the danger room.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 09:04:57 pm »

And empty, light minecarts could be perfect for the dwarven childcare program...
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 09:27:07 pm »

...or would the momentum simply make up for the weight-loss?...

Depends on the velocity cap. If no velocity cap, and friction is independant of velocity, then fast light carts are dangerous. If no velocity cap and friction increases with velocity, then only heavy carts are dangerous. If there is a velocity cap, then only heavy carts are dangerous.
Toady One said there is a velocity cap.
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 09:28:02 pm »

And empty, light minecarts could be perfect for the dwarven childcare program...

What have I done?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 10:02:07 pm »

What have I done?

.... you seriously didn't see that coming?
Oh and the answer is either something wonderfully awful or awfully wonderful.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 10:10:13 pm »

Noble's bedrooms could be provided with their own minecart delivery system.  Does that noble want a platinum statue? Then send it express delivery!
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 10:38:47 pm »

I plan to treat carts as I treat fluids; something useful that must be accessed, but not allowed where things travel, invaders excepted, of course.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 11:02:22 pm »

Idk using candy for something non-violent just seems wrong somehow.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 11:10:19 pm »

Minecarts? Non-violence?

Those words should never be used in the same sentence! Blasphemy I say!

See, I've been telling you guys, this Corai guy is an elf lover! An elf lover! He should be killed! To the magma tanks!
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 11:17:34 pm »

A truly non-lethal way to use your adamantine is coins. Thrown coins pass through their target and are therefore completely useless in combat.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 01:49:59 am »

Really?  Coins used to be deadly, though admittedly that was years ago.

A much simpler solution would be to build a walkway that goes over or under the tracks, designate it a high traffic area, and set the tracks to restricted traffic.  Some dwarves might still choose to play on the tracks, but they deserve what they get.
Pages: [1] 2 3