_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 1521 1522 [1523] 1524 1525 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5937535 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Repair and Rescue
« Reply #22830 on: January 11, 2014, 05:16:21 pm »

((That's sci-fi, not fantasy. The two are generally both considered speculative fiction, but they are not both fantasy and anyone who files them under the same category should be pelted with cyberpunk novels until he repents for this travesty.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #22831 on: January 11, 2014, 05:26:47 pm »

((Fallout and fantasy with different races and magic?

<_<

Fallout: Equestria?

>_>

* Sean Mirrsen runs for the horizon.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22832 on: January 11, 2014, 05:32:50 pm »

((That's sci-fi, not fantasy. The two are generally both considered speculative fiction, but they are not both fantasy and anyone who files them under the same category should be pelted with cyberpunk novels until he repents for this travesty.))

((It's more of a difference in presentation than anything, and certain fiction blurs the line between the two. I think it's more the fact that fantasy fiction lives in a ghetto of its own that science fiction generally wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole than the fact that the difference is all that great.))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22833 on: January 11, 2014, 05:36:02 pm »

((Really? I was under the impression that fallout wasn't sci-fi. I find it hard to file it under that category, seeing as the only explenation given for most of the things in it are "50's ERA SCIENCE GUYS". I agree that it isn't fantasy, simply that it has some fantasy elements (Mirelurks shooting mental bolts of pain, what?). ))

<_<

>_>

((NO, BAD SEAN. not actually what I meant. I meant 'a fallout game run by PW. OR a fantasy setting with different races and magic, instead of something like conan the barbarian, which is mostly all humans.)) 

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22834 on: January 11, 2014, 05:52:11 pm »

((It's more of a difference in presentation than anything, and certain fiction blurs the line between the two. I think it's more the fact that fantasy fiction lives in a ghetto of its own that science fiction generally wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole than the fact that the difference is all that great.))
((Sci-fi and fantasy aren't genres, per se, so much as settings. The characteristics of the settings have little in common except "Stuff that doesn't exist IRL"--in which case James Bond is also fantasy.
And science fiction draws more inspiration from other genres than fantasy.))

((Really? I was under the impression that fallout wasn't sci-fi. I find it hard to file it under that category, seeing as the only explenation given for most of the things in it are "50's ERA SCIENCE GUYS". I agree that it isn't fantasy, simply that it has some fantasy elements (Mirelurks shooting mental bolts of pain, what?). ))
((Star Wars and Star Trek both established that science fiction can have elements barely explained. Are you going to call these two defining...well, one's a movie series, one's a few TV serieses and some movies, but they both defined modern sci-fi, works of fantasy, just because they never explain the Force (midi-chlorians don't count if you don't explain the midi-chlorians) or the weird stuff the Enterprise comes into contact with? Or hyperspace, blasters, replicators, light sabers, artificial intelligences...))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22835 on: January 11, 2014, 06:19:42 pm »

((Sci-fi and fantasy aren't genres, per se, so much as settings. The characteristics of the settings have little in common except "Stuff that doesn't exist IRL"--in which case James Bond is also fantasy.

((I'm not entirely sure what you mean there. Do you mean that fantasy draws inspiration from fewer other genres than science fiction? Because it really doesn't, as it draws from folklore and mythology, which runs the whole gamut of genres, and incorporates a lot of elements from said sources, including most of its archetypes. In fact, you could say that science fiction draws from fewer sources simply because of its greater tendency to try and introduce novel concepts, grant them plausibility and then explore them.

Or do you mean that merely the sources of inspiration are different? That I could agree with more, as science fiction draws more from contemporary storytelling while fantasy tends toward drawing from ancient legends and stories, though I'm sure commonalities between the two could be successfully argued.))

((Star Wars and Star Trek both established that science fiction can have elements barely explained. Are you going to call these two defining...well, one's a movie series, one's a few TV serieses and some movies, but they both defined modern sci-fi, works of fantasy, just because they never explain the Force (midi-chlorians don't count if you don't explain the midi-chlorians) or the weird stuff the Enterprise comes into contact with? Or hyperspace, blasters, replicators, light sabers, artificial intelligences...))

((Well, Star Wars is definitely more fantasy than science fiction. It has actual magic and destinies, and the original trilogy also plays out like a classic fairy tale. So that's hardly a good example. As for Star Trek, I'm not sure if it had actual magic in it (the easiest way to identify a fantasy setting, though probably not universally applicable), but I'm not an expert on such matters.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #22836 on: January 11, 2014, 06:35:04 pm »

Well, Lets just say they're both styles of fiction that tend toward distinct settings but often employ similar styles of story telling and dramatic elements.

Sci-fi itself is difficult to define, with sub-genres ranging from Hard-sci like The moon is a harsh mistress to firm Sci-fi like (some) star trek, to fantastic sci-fi, like Childhood's end and Stranger in a strange land to straight science fantasy of things like star wars and buck rogers.

The problem with defining it is that, once you get to Science fantasy, the lines begin to blur and calling it sci-fi is more done because of the setting elements and tropes then anything else. Basically, if it has laser guns and aliens it becomes sci-fi even if it's basically a straight retelling of fantasy stories (See the 6 million cheap paper back "sci-fi" novels you can find in used book stores).

When compared to some of the more outrageous examples of science fantasy I'd say that Fallout falls under "Fantastic Sci-fi". It's got a grounding in reality with exaggerated and unrealistic elements.

Ah the derisive subject of categorization. Go talk to an old school biologist about the whole Domains VS Kingdoms debate if you want to see what an 80 year old marine biologist in a murderous rage is like.

ANYHOO

The Game is called "The Glowing King" and if you can guess what it's about then you get a cookie.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #22837 on: January 11, 2014, 06:37:14 pm »

Hastur in Fallout.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22838 on: January 11, 2014, 06:48:58 pm »

A man finds an underground research facility filled with self powered lightbulbs and sets out to illuminate the entire wasteland.

More probable it has something to do with radiation, as Xan suggested.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22839 on: January 11, 2014, 06:51:05 pm »

((How is the ship powered? Fusion reactors? Space magic? Molten cheese?))
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22840 on: January 11, 2014, 07:48:27 pm »

((I'm not entirely sure what you mean there. Do you mean that fantasy draws inspiration from fewer other genres than science fiction? Because it really doesn't, as it draws from folklore and mythology, which runs the whole gamut of genres, and incorporates a lot of elements from said sources, including most of its archetypes. In fact, you could say that science fiction draws from fewer sources simply because of its greater tendency to try and introduce novel concepts, grant them plausibility and then explore them.
(("Folklore and mythology" are more the ancestors of fantasy than "inspiration"; there isn't a strong divide. On the other hand, there is as strong divide between, say, Westerns or samurai movies and science fiction.))

((Well, Star Wars is definitely more fantasy than science fiction. It has actual magic and destinies, and the original trilogy also plays out like a classic fairy tale. So that's hardly a good example. As for Star Trek, I'm not sure if it had actual magic in it (the easiest way to identify a fantasy setting, though probably not universally applicable), but I'm not an expert on such matters.))
((Like I said, Star Wars is one of the precursors of modern sci-fi. And by your logic, Einsteinian Roulette is even more firmly in the category of fantasy than Star Wars, because it calls its magic magic and never really tries to explain it.))

The Game is called "The Glowing King" and if you can guess what it's about then you get a cookie.
((A being or statue considered a god-king, which is actually...I dunno. Probably radioactive or something.))
Sig

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #22841 on: January 11, 2014, 08:30:13 pm »

((How is the ship powered? Fusion reactors? Space magic? Molten cheese?))

((From descriptions provided for the repair teams, it looks like fission (can't be fusion, fusion would look different from the outside and not be nearly as radioactive). Looks like generation III fission, to be precise, possibly a Boiling Water Reactor, from the design (core partially submerged in a pool of water). Could be Generation IV, though, it's hard to say from outside the core.))
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 09:18:54 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22842 on: January 11, 2014, 09:55:00 pm »

((Time to reactivate the reactor.))
Find the reactor and find out why it's offline
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 09:58:12 pm by smurfingtonthethird »
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22843 on: January 11, 2014, 10:51:25 pm »

<_<

>_>

((Demonic ducks make for good distractions.

... If anyone gets that reference, I will give them a cookie.))
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22844 on: January 11, 2014, 11:21:41 pm »

(("Isn't that a demonic duck of sort?!"))
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 1521 1522 [1523] 1524 1525 ... 2101