_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5928195 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: On ship thread: Hightech death machines before hos
« Reply #3990 on: July 09, 2012, 10:31:43 pm »

((Didn't Feyri already discover that? And I bet he's satisfied, veeerrryy satisfied.))
Insulate both suits of armor with a layer of heat-resistant rubber below the plates. For the liquid cooling, have pipes running just below the metal. Put the pumps and stuff in an add-on to the power pack.

Ok, a cooling system is pretty easy, though when yo say "just below the metal" do you mean "Just below the surface of the armor plate, as in embedded within it," or "Under the metal plate, between it and me."

Any side effects to the gene gun method itself? What about the viral method, assuming nothing goes horribly wrong? Any major differences between the two?

Look up the penalties for having illegal gene modifications, as well as how thorough they usually are about enforcing that.

Examine gene therapies for increasing Intuition, Auxilliary, Medical, or Unconventional rolls.

Include transhuman(?) civilizations.

Both gene therapy methods are normally very safe, the worst sideeffect being that they fail to take hold.

As per penalties and enforcement, that varies widely, but for the most part they won't bother you unless you look like a mutant abomination or start doing obviously inhuman things. But the penalty is usually death.

Intuition, Auxilliary, Medical, or Unconventional eh?

Intuition:They basically alter your brain so that you naturally produce the active ingredient in Bluesmoke cigarettes. +1 to intuition but it results in completely deadening your emotions. Effects how npc's react to you, among other things.

Aux: Rewires your brain, so to speak, in such a way that allows you to more easily understand and utilize the complex systems of the world around you. This does, however, cause you to have problems with simple things, often overlooking or over complicating simple tasks or objects. Alters lots of things, including descriptions of the world around you and how tinker "results" are displayed.

Med: Grants you a form of extreme empathy, allowing you to practically feel what the patient does and diagnose and treat them much more efficiently. Side effect being that seeing people being injured or killed has a much greater effect on you. You have to get a 3 or higher on a willpower roll every time you see someone get hurt or killed, lest you suffer the same pain they do. It's all psychological, you don't actually get physically injured from it, but still.

Uncon: Actually there are 2 forms of this, the "melee fighter's" form and the "Manipulator's" form. The melee fighter's increases uncon while also giving you a -1 to dex, but only outside of combat. So no penalty in combat, but anything else, -1. The manipulator's version alters your mind in such a way that you begin to think rather...oddly.

It should be explained that we don't really know a whole lot about any of these advanced races, since they tend to behave in ways that defy explanation sometimes. The best example of that, well an example that kind of makes just enough sense to be curious, is that of the stardrifters.

The stardrifters themselves are physically not that interesting. They're warm blooded tripeds with a strange sort of 3 way radial symmetry, at least externally and skeletally. They manipulate things with hands that have opposable digits, eat standard organic matter, blah blah blah. Whats interesting about them is what they do.

First off, the stardrifters have no home planet, at least none that we know of. Their entire race all live on individual starships that contain no more then 2 members at any one time. These starships are only a few dozen meters long, yet contain machines which can synthesize any needed food or compounds, treat illness or injury and produce any tool needed to aid their masters. Oddly enough, the stardrifter ships have no "Jump" capacity, no way of traveling faster then light, and as such they do all their traveling at sublight speeds. The Stardrifters reproduce completely asexually via the use of cloning technology within their ship. The machine takes a sample from the current "adult", scrambles it a bit, and produces a "Child" which is then raised by the adult.

The stardrifters, aboard their ships, wander the galaxy on preprogrammed flight paths, stopping on various planets while completely ignoring others. Once landed on a planet they proceed to build what they call a "Point", a large antennae like structure filled with an indecipherable arrangement of machines, sensors and transmitters, all of which seem to be functional but don't actually produce anything. And this is where it gets odd, because the stardrifters themselves have no clue what they do either. In fact, they have no idea what they're doing.

Interviews with the stardrifters reveal that they only know how to work the machines on their ships-because their "parents" taught them- and how to build the Points. Why they do this, what the purpose of the points are, how long this has been going on, how the machines and ship function, and pretty much everything else have all been completely lost to time through countless generations. And yet they continue, building machines they don't understand and drifting through the galaxy with no end in sight.

Well, would be a bad ambush predator if it chose an obvious ambush spot. Presumably reacts to disturbances in the ice's movement.
Run and jump over the ice floes, trying to keep at least two routes back to my current position. 50 feet in a random direction. If nothing happens, back.
You run off across the ice, jumping between hunks of ice when the water between two of the pieces suddenly parts and an enormous, three fingered arm lurches up onto the ice and swings toward you.
[dex:2]
It grabs you easily and proceeds to sink back into the water, dragging you into the murky depths.

Make a cute, omega-kawii-desu-esque video log and publish it to Youtube Ver. 49 or the equivalent. Watch for it to become popular because, you know, E-cup.

"Teehee, you know I wub you Thomas. :3"
"Aww... Well, I'm still somewhat aggravated!"

"It's all part of my big plan: We put stuff online, and we get sympathy from the peoples."
Within .0003 seconds of posting the video, someone has replied "First" and someone else has posted "Show us your tits."

"Understandable, given the current designs. What about the next best thing then? It doesn't have to survive a nuke, but should definately take a good bit of punishment. Anything like that while staying closeish to the size of the MK suits?"
>Well, it's not very well known, but there is the "bomb proof" suit.

A baseplate attached to the bone will do, if it doesn't interfere with the operation of the limb. It'll also give me a base design for anything else I might want to attach there. Modularity, ho!
Alrighty, base attached to bone via piece of metal. Done and done.

"All I did was add extra chambers to the end. See? There are threads here to screw extra chambers on. Oh! The extra chambers are one token at the armory. Now excuse me, I need to go Tinker."

Skitter over to the Wrec room, and enter the VR.
Wrec room?

You head to the rec room and do your best to sit in the chair of the vr machine. This was clearly not designed with tripods in mind.

Charro tossed the hat he'd been mutilating aside with a sigh of mild (for now) frustration and grabbed another one, along with a cutting tool, a couple of springs and a drill. He squinted his green eyes and powered up the cutting tool, looking rather out-of-place doing manual labour, even in a VR simulation.
'Well, second plan.'
>Attempt to remove a hat's brim and re-attach it to the crown with springs, turning it into a sort of slingshot-launcher-thingy!

((Incase you were wondering, yes, Charro's ideas are stupid. :P))
Crown of springs...?

Yes! finaly read all of the ship now i can start sleeping again!
Also Mason looks for a map of the ship.
(do you actually need the map or are you just trying to find it in character?)

Enter VR, Tell computer that I've the permission to begin modifications.

Start with multi-chambers that start near the power source, bending outwards from an internal prism, angling in a parabolic curve - filled with Cog's idea on multiple chambered amplifiers, meeting at a point which holds another prism, to begin my theorem on prismatic beams.

Eh....ok. Well lets see.

So you strap some multi-chambers...whatever those are, to the battery, which is bent around a prism...

Exactly what do you mean "Prismatic beams?" Is it like prismatic spray? Because I think you'd need to be a 20th level space wizard for that...

The doctor nods slowly.
"In terms of killing?" He says a moment later.

"Well, that's the problem actually. I don't seem to be particularly good at killing things." Lukas avoided eye contact with the doctor. "I can't even make a little girl cry. I know how to use common weaponry though."
"Conventional weaponry. Yes." The doctor nods. "And, what range do you engage targets? Medium? Short?"

((Lukas needs a hug too.))

((Lukas needs some balls. I heard that the Armory Master keeps a pair handy.))
((Just ask herr doktor))

((Speaking of Der Doktor, those glasses of his seem to be there purely for the effect of "walling himself off from other people", seeing as his eye description when Lukas saw them matches Cameyes. They'd serve no purpose otherwise.

Although the first point was kind of obvious. Now we just know that that could really be the only reason for them.))
Interesting that you assume they are cameyes.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: July 09, 2012, 10:45:58 pm »

Embed the cooling system into the plate.  Check both the cooled and standard suits against lasers, gauss rifles and tesla sabers, post insulation.
Also, check how well a grappling hook launcher would work, if it had the power pack backing it up.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: July 09, 2012, 10:53:57 pm »

((I cannot tell you how much this disturbs me. Not even sure why!))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: July 09, 2012, 11:02:49 pm »

((I'm not sure I want to know what else Der Doktor could have done to himself or had done to him that would give him eyes like that.))

Spawn a Gauss gun and examine it to see if it is possible to up the caliber to 50mm and shorten it by about half, while running twice the current per shot through the electromagnets.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: July 09, 2012, 11:11:34 pm »

"Conventional weaponry. Yes." The doctor nods. "And, what range do you engage targets? Medium? Short?"

"Well, that's easy. I prefer medium range."
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: July 10, 2012, 12:15:53 am »

Look up a dead more-advanced-than-us alien race now.

The go look for The Doctor. When I can't find him, return to VR (is that where I've been looking all this up?) and begin tinkering with external cameyes again.

Specifically, either building them into a helmet or some sort of handheld device that can link to a helmet. Also see if there's cheaper alternatives that do the same thing (provide bonus vision modes).
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: July 10, 2012, 01:14:43 am »

"Bomb proof suit?"

Bishop paused for a moment before shaking his head.

"You people have no imagination whatsoever. Alright, can you bring it up in the VR for me and explain a bit more about it please?"

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: July 10, 2012, 01:17:35 am »

((You find entries on a dozen extinct alien races that never aired 'the Hills' or 'Gossip Girl'.))
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: July 10, 2012, 05:06:08 am »

Both, I want to see if theirs anything that we haven't found yet and i'm having trouble imaging the ship in my mind.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: July 10, 2012, 06:57:19 am »

Of course I was too slow. What was I thinking?

Laser the thing in the... whatever may be in sight.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: July 10, 2012, 08:06:07 am »

((About that prism, it's like...

Hmm.

Well, picture the stock of the rifle along with the firing mechanism. The prism is located right next to the power source and inside the chamber, with the outer part splitting the laser into ~3 other rays, including the main one that travels down the main barrel. Now I'm thinking there are other 'arms' that are lined with amplifiers just like the main barrel, and those arms are curved outwards turning inwards until they reach the barrel tip, where another prism is located that would redirect the now-amplified-laser into a powerful beam. A much more powerful one than a single uncombined laser.

And...I don't get the lvl 20 wizard thing, sorry.  :P))

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: July 10, 2012, 10:22:08 am »

Start a livestream Q&A session.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4002 on: July 10, 2012, 12:06:44 pm »

Embed the cooling system into the plate.  Check both the cooled and standard suits against lasers, gauss rifles and tesla sabers, post insulation.
Also, check how well a grappling hook launcher would work, if it had the power pack backing it up.
Well, lets see.

That cooling system will buy you a little more time when it comes to lasers, but the problem is that since its embedded in the metal, once the thin outer layer is breached and the laser reaches the coolant you're gonna have a cloud of boiling coolant spraying everywhere, flowing back into the pump system, and generally not helping as the laser proceeds to cut through the last bit of armor. Gauss rifles will probably just crack the thing open thanks to all the empty space in it, and tesla sabres will still follow the surface till they discharge into either the ground or your flesh, whatever is closest.

As per that grappling hook, thats possible, but you'd still have to figure out all the specifics of it.

((I'm not sure I want to know what else Der Doktor could have done to himself or had done to him that would give him eyes like that.))

Spawn a Gauss gun and examine it to see if it is possible to up the caliber to 50mm and shorten it by about half, while running twice the current per shot through the electromagnets.
A 50mm? You sure thats what you want? Thats not a bullet, thats a mortal shell. Hell, even the GAU-8, a Gatling gun thats twice as big as a VW bug, only uses 30mm shells. Thats pretty much the size that a gauss cannon uses, and it's designed to cushion the recoil as much as possible and it still tears peoples arms off.

You can do it, sure, but you're gonna need to be a son of zeus to fire it without losing a limb.

"Well, that's easy. I prefer medium range."
"Yes. Yes. Good." The doctor opens a door to your right and proceeds to push you in and onto a bed. You're about to protest when he grabs your head, twists it so your neck is exposed, and jams a syringe in. You're out before you can complain.

(This might take a bit)

The go look for The Doctor. When I can't find him, return to VR (is that where I've been looking all this up?) and begin tinkering with external cameyes again.

Specifically, either building them into a helmet or some sort of handheld device that can link to a helmet. Also see if there's cheaper alternatives that do the same thing (provide bonus vision modes).

(You've been looking crap up on the VR. If it was on the internet you've have to keep doing int rolls)

OH and I got a good one for you.

Crystalline race

Appearance: 4-6/ 2 meter tall, complex hopper crystals. Move via rapid deformation and reformation, believed to manipulate tools in similar manner, or may simply have grown tools from their own bodies.

Distinguishing traits: Little is known about their society except for their almost universal use of simple geometric solids. They appear to have mastered a sort of multipurpose metallic substance for use as everything from a weapon to a data storage medium. It is employed in almost every situation, save for their personal stasis pods, which employ more mundane substances. They also created a power source of unknown magnitude, origin and construction which allowed them to survive the destruction of their sun.

Cause of Extinction: The majority of the species died with the destruction of their sun, but the remaining survivors were killed by HMRC units when they removed a vital power source, causing the shutdown of life support systems. 

Now cameyes to helmet could work in a few ways. The cheapest and easiest way is just to take the guts out of a cam eye, put it in some sort of metal casing and then weld it over the camera that your faceplate uses to look around. Then you just wire up some sort of switch to change the modes and boom, done. Of course it means leaving the cameye exposed on the front there...

"Bomb proof suit?"

Bishop paused for a moment before shaking his head.

"You people have no imagination whatsoever. Alright, can you bring it up in the VR for me and explain a bit more about it please?"

>It's the suit that Bomb Squads use to protect themselves. It's designed specifically to protect against the effects of bombs. What else would you call it? Well, besides it's nickname, the "Fatman" suit.

The VR brings up a suit. It's bright orange and and very bulky looking. The entire chest and and lower body are covered by a single armor plate with no articulation at the waist. The back is similarly designed with a single plate, while the sides are coated in several smaller plates. The arms are longer then normal, and end in mechanical manipulators rather then gloves. they're heavily armored as well. The legs actually have what look like miniature riot shields on the shins. When standing they cover both legs, but if the wearer were to drop into a sitting position and bring his knees to his chest, it would effectively create a wall in front of him, blocking his head.  The helmet is big and heavy looking thing, just a huge chunk of armor atop the shoulders.

((About that prism, it's like...

Hmm.

Well, picture the stock of the rifle along with the firing mechanism. The prism is located right next to the power source and inside the chamber, with the outer part splitting the laser into ~3 other rays, including the main one that travels down the main barrel. Now I'm thinking there are other 'arms' that are lined with amplifiers just like the main barrel, and those arms are curved outwards turning inwards until they reach the barrel tip, where another prism is located that would redirect the now-amplified-laser into a powerful beam. A much more powerful one than a single uncombined laser.

And...I don't get the lvl 20 wizard thing, sorry.  :P))
I'm no laser expert, but I don't think it works that way, or at least works better. Isn't splitting a beam into parts, there by reducing it's power, amplifying it, and them merging it back together going to be the same as just amplifying the original beam? You'd probably just be better off using the focusing chambers like cog. The result is the same, a more focused beam that can do more damage, and you don't have to bounce lasers off a million internal mirrors.

Start a livestream Q&A session.
You don't have a web cam.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: July 10, 2012, 12:33:07 pm »

May goes to the Armory. "Master-San! Do you have a webcam I could use?"
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: July 10, 2012, 01:51:12 pm »

((I may end up going out during the night because it is my birthday today and we'll party to commemorate. I just hope things won't get worse while I am away.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 2101