_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 1176 1177 [1178] 1179 1180 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5923419 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Feyri needs a hug.
« Reply #17655 on: September 13, 2013, 04:44:38 am »

((My stupidity logic goes like so:
-kinetic amps square any kinetic energy that comes into contact with them
-nukes have really high kinetic energy
-we need to find out how to combine the two))
Put a nuclear shaped charge in a lidless barrel facing upwards then use a thin metal beam to hold the amp above it.

Top towards enemy->Nuclear discharge->amp->incredibly dead sods.

Edit: did you know that for the price of a single kinetically amplified 1 megaton charge you could get a heavy gauss cannon and alter to fire 1/8 or 1/4 kiloton shells then strap the amp onto the first shell you want to fire?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 04:54:27 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #17656 on: September 13, 2013, 05:18:47 am »

Put a nuclear shaped charge in a lidless barrel facing upwards then use a thin metal beam to hold the amp above it.

Top towards enemy->Nuclear discharge->amp->incredibly dead sods.

((Wouldn't work. The kinetic amp, in all descriptions, has a pause between "contact" and the force being applied. The plasma generated by a nuclear shaped charge would vaporize it before it got the chance to square the force of what little plasma would hit it, which is the second downside: Only a bit of force will be squared, even if it gets the chance to square it.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17657 on: September 13, 2013, 05:30:31 am »

(( I don't remember, but the idea comes up pretty consistently. I think the general consensus from PW has been 'I don't think you quite understand how this works, it would be far more effective to just tape the kinetic amp to the end of the stick' :P

I think you're missing my point, or are answering the other guy.
I was planning to use it as a thrusting weapon. Put the amp between the haft and head - ergo, the force shunting forward from the haft gets squared and pushed forwards into the head.
Ergo, much stronger thrust with no jar.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17658 on: September 13, 2013, 05:39:11 am »

(( I don't remember, but the idea comes up pretty consistently. I think the general consensus from PW has been 'I don't think you quite understand how this works, it would be far more effective to just tape the kinetic amp to the end of the stick' :P

I think you're missing my point, or are answering the other guy.
I was planning to use it as a thrusting weapon. Put the amp between the haft and head - ergo, the force shunting forward from the haft gets squared and pushed forwards into the head.
Ergo, much stronger thrust with no jar.
((Fire it out of an overcharged heavy gauss cannon, you know you want to.))

((Edit: if i design a modified heavy gauss cannon that fires 1 meter long tungsten rods is anyone opposed to me actually using it?))
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 05:45:49 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #17659 on: September 13, 2013, 06:36:32 am »

((Well I had the idea to get a Kinetic Shunt, then use it while being nuked, and then use that energy to punch someone/thing with a kinetic amp glove.
Actually a even simpler "planet killer" idea I had was to just drop something/someone with a Kinetic Amp from orbit, have it reach terminal velocity and then activate the amp. Terminal Velocity squared= FUUUUUUUUUUUCK))
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17660 on: September 13, 2013, 07:03:34 am »

((Well I had the idea to get a Kinetic Shunt, then use it while being nuked, and then use that energy to punch someone/thing with a kinetic amp glove.
Actually a even simpler "planet killer" idea I had was to just drop something/someone with a Kinetic Amp from orbit, have it reach terminal velocity and then activate the amp. Terminal Velocity squared= FUUUUUUUUUUUCK))

((Actually, no. The kinetic amp squares force. Even if you're moving at terminal velocity, you're still moving purely by gravitational force, which doesn't really change if your mass doesn't change. Velocity and force aren't directly related - acceleration and force are. So it doesn't really matter what your velocity is when you hit something with a kinetic amp. What matters is acceleration.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17661 on: September 13, 2013, 07:19:41 am »

((Actually, no. The kinetic amp squares force. Even if you're moving at terminal velocity, you're still moving purely by gravitational force, which doesn't really change if your mass doesn't change. Velocity and force aren't directly related - acceleration and force are. So it doesn't really matter what your velocity is when you hit something with a kinetic amp. What matters is acceleration.))
((The amp squares kinetic energy, being a kinetic amp. The force it amplifies is the force of impact. Velocity and mass both have a great effect on the amp's output.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17662 on: September 13, 2013, 07:24:46 am »

3   Kinetic Amplifier
   Ammo: Battery good for 50 uses. Extra batteries are 1 token each.
   Range: Melee:0
   Description: It looks like a glove! It hits like a rocket propelled semi-truck! This thing amplifiesthe kinetic force from your blows by up to a square of the original force without increasing the reactive force felt by the user. May not seem like much, but when 3000 newtons becomes 9000000 newtons you'll gain a new respect for exponential growth. Warning: Do not scratch your nose.

((It does say 'force', though, not 'kinetic energy'. Measured in newtons, even. I might not be getting something about forces of impact, and feel free to correct me further if I am wrong.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #17663 on: September 13, 2013, 07:31:09 am »

3   Kinetic Amplifier
   Description: It looks like a glove! It hits like a rocket propelled semi-truck! This thing amplifiesthe kinetic force from your blows by up to a square of the original force without increasing the reactive force felt by the user. May not seem like much, but when 3000 newtons becomes 9000000 newtons you'll gain a new respect for exponential growth. Warning: Do not scratch your nose.

((It does say 'force', though, not 'kinetic energy'. Measured in newtons, even. I might not be getting something about forces of impact, and feel free to correct me further if I am wrong.))

((Which means the gauntlet it comes in is an inefficient use, the area that the impact is distributed over lowers the force it squares. Better to just use the postage-stamp sized area it has when ripped out of the glove.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17664 on: September 13, 2013, 07:39:45 am »

((Force is kinetic energy))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17665 on: September 13, 2013, 07:42:16 am »

What mine do is basically this: The fibroblast enhancement therapy let's you heal quickly and perfectly, so you never have to miss a mission due to injury and you'll never have any scars (as long as you can eat enough or get enough biomass to fuel the regeneration), as well as reducing the amount of bleeding you'll suffer from injuries.

((It's worth noting that it won't regrow limbs, so don't be a fool if you get it.  Mesk got his ultraregen from a Nyars box.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17666 on: September 13, 2013, 07:45:55 am »

3   Kinetic Amplifier

((Which means the gauntlet it comes in is an inefficient use, the area that the impact is distributed over lowers the force it squares. Better to just use the postage-stamp sized area it has when ripped out of the glove.))
((also your better off putting the stamp on a forearm mounted Gauss or hydraulic piston that is triggered by the act of punching people, more newtons and less surface area >:D))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17667 on: September 13, 2013, 07:51:00 am »

3   Kinetic Amplifier

((The glove is just a means of attaching it to your hand. The contact plate is the only thing that matters, the only thing that receives and transmits the force.

Also, still force of impact. It even says "Kinetic force", which admittedly doesn't exist, the term being "kinetic energy".
I suppose it would be more accurate to call the device an "impulse amplifier", but it does amplify the transmission of kinetic energy on impact, so a "kinetic amplifier" is close enough.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17668 on: September 13, 2013, 07:54:33 am »

((Or put it behind something sharp.))
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17669 on: September 13, 2013, 08:03:20 am »

((Force is kinetic energy))

((It isn't as far as I know. Kinetic energy is ((mass x speed2)/2), while force is (mass x acceleration). If you move at a constant speed of, say, 100 meters per second, you have a large amount of kinetic energy by earthly standards, but the sum of all forces acting upon you is 0 (in deep space, I believe this means that there are no significant forces acting upon you at all).))

((Also, still force of impact. It even says "Kinetic force", which admittedly doesn't exist, the term being "kinetic energy".
I suppose it would be more accurate to call the device an "impulse amplifier", but it does amplify the transmission of kinetic energy on impact, so a "kinetic amplifier" is close enough.))

((Well, I'm mostly just running off high school physics here, so I won't argue much about that. One does have to wonder how energy would be drained from a kinetic amp if you just used it at the end of a pole to push something, considering that it's measured in 'uses'.))
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 08:08:07 am by Harry Baldman »
Pages: 1 ... 1176 1177 [1178] 1179 1180 ... 2101