Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pathological Avoidance of the Dining Room  (Read 3729 times)

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pathological Avoidance of the Dining Room
« on: April 22, 2012, 06:51:58 pm »

Got a problem. Need a solution.

My dorfs hate their dining room. They will do almost anything to eat anywhere but the dining room. They'll hike ten z-levels down to eat food from the prison stockpile. They'll eat in the Duchess's throne room. They'll break into the manager's office and eat there. Only seldom do they ever eat in my well-decorated legendary dining room. If I see more than five of them in there, it's a pretty sure guess that somebody is throwing a party around the artifact table I have in there.

What gives? How do I get them to actually eat in the dining room?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pathological Avoidance of the Dining Room
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 06:55:18 pm »

Kill them all.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 06:56:49 pm »

Is it actually a dinning room?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

TigerHunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 06:57:21 pm »

Is it actually a dinning room?
And if so, is it also a meeting hall?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 06:59:05 pm »

Got a problem. Need a solution.

My dorfs hate their dining room. They will do almost anything to eat anywhere but the dining room. They'll hike ten z-levels down to eat food from the prison stockpile. They'll eat in the Duchess's throne room. They'll break into the manager's office and eat there. Only seldom do they ever eat in my well-decorated legendary dining room. If I see more than five of them in there, it's a pretty sure guess that somebody is throwing a party around the artifact table I have in there.

What gives? How do I get them to actually eat in the dining room?
block pathing to any other place to eat.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 07:19:49 pm »

They feel in their bones that disaster will happen if they all eat in the dining room. Centuries of selective not-breeding of dwarfs that eat in dining rooms finally begins to show results
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Fireborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 07:23:09 pm »

1) Is there an office in the hall that is larger than a single chair? e.g. Bookkeeper/Manager Office that fills the room?

If so, all of those tables/chairs count as theirs' even if a seperate one is marking the room as a dining hall.

2) Are these other places closer to the food?  IIRC, they target food, then target the nearest chair.

After that, I'm out of ideas.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 07:33:00 pm »

Like Krenshala said, are you sure it has been designated as a dining room with the entire area selected? It really does sound like this would be the case. Alternatively there's too many pictures of elephants striking down dwarves engraved into the walls.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 07:55:13 pm »

Use traffic designations. Set restricted traffic zones to cost 100, high to cost one, normal - 25, and low 50.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 08:27:10 pm »

Check for any tables with chairs that aren't marked as belonging to another dwarf. I had this happen repeatedly in my fort with a hospital... I put up a bunch of tables for operations, then I figured "If I put a chair here, the doc will be able to sit and he'll work better!" Wrong; it was a rare day all the tables weren't occupied by dwarves chowing down mere feet from their dying breatheren.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 08:29:48 pm »

Wow, it's like the kitty drop to desensitize dwarfs but then with dwarfs, a hospital diner. +1 to you, even if you didn't intend it to work like this.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 08:34:16 pm »

My dining room will now become the main operating room, in honor of your (un)intended genius
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 08:57:56 pm »

Dining hall ER

*munch munch*

"that his intestines hanging ou?"

*munch munch*

"Yup, and look at that one, his arm is rotting away."

*munch munch*

"Oh, I see Bomrek bled out, poor fellow. Let's get another helping of plump helmets."

I am very much in agreement with this mental picture

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 09:44:35 pm »

dining hall ER? that is just one step away from cannibalism.

I wonder how long til the smell of battle starts making their mouths water?   ::)

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 10:04:39 pm »

I'll probably end up with an entire fortress of dwarves with the "doesn't care about anything" tag, and the elves will probably come to it to try sneak some fresh dwarf liver knowing them.

Pages: [1] 2