Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Embarking in Haunted Areas  (Read 5847 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking in Haunted Areas
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 05:31:16 pm »

You have arrived! After a long journey from the Mountainhomes into the forbidding wilderness beyond, your harsh trek has finally ended. Your party of seven, "The Problematic Tomb," is to make an out post for the glory of all of Zirildumed.
There are almost no supplies left, but with stout labor comes sustenance whether by bolt, plow, or hook, provide for your dwarves. You are expecting a supply caravan just before winter entombs you, but it is Spring now. Enough time to delve secure lodgings.
A new chapter of dwarven history begins here at this place, Innokagak, "Creepyanus". Strike the Earth!

"Creepyanus"

Your fortress will be the first official strip-fort. Use those elves for something useful.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 05:34:22 pm »

Classy.

Urist McBeanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 05:36:11 pm »

You have arrived! After a long journey from the Mountainhomes into the forbidding wilderness beyond, your harsh trek has finally ended. Your party of seven, "The Problematic Tomb," is to make an out post for the glory of all of Zirildumed.
There are almost no supplies left, but with stout labor comes sustenance whether by bolt, plow, or hook, provide for your dwarves. You are expecting a supply caravan just before winter entombs you, but it is Spring now. Enough time to delve secure lodgings.
A new chapter of dwarven history begins here at this place, Innokagak, "Creepyanus". Strike the Earth!

"Creepyanus"

Your fortress will be the first official strip-fort. Use those elves for something useful.
Classy.
:P

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 05:39:58 pm »

Im serious, two words.

ELVEN STRIPPERS.

Come on, dont act like half of you guys havent done it before. I havent cause I cant figure out how.
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Urist McBeanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 05:40:59 pm »

Im serious, two words.

ELVEN STRIPPERS.

Come on, dont act like half of you guys havent done it before. I havent cause I cant figure out how.
Perhaps you could trap them in cages and claim their clothes?
Like pitted goblins but, you know... naked elves.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 05:44:17 pm by Urist McBeanie »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 05:50:22 pm »

100% solid proof that the moment a thread achieves it's purpose, the derailing will be fell and without mercy :P

Awesome.

I'm also a bit puzzled as to why a visiting were-civet decided to show up to my fort naked. Generally all were-creatures.

Urist McBeanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 05:55:29 pm »

This thread is now about elven strippers and naked werebeasts. :D

100% solid proof that the moment a thread achieves it's purpose, the derailing will be fell and without mercy :P

Awesome.

I'm also a bit puzzled as to why a visiting were-civet decided to show up to my fort naked. Generally all were-creatures.
From my understanding. Upon transforming once, all of their clothes are lost and they don't bother to put them back on. I have never seen a clothed werebeast in human form

EDIT: From the wiki "seeing as werebeasts seem to have minimum body size of about 80000, armor will become too small for you to fit in."

I assume your dwarves were terrified?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 06:23:52 pm by Urist McBeanie »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 06:21:30 pm »

Well it arrived as a were-civet, got shot by a marksdwarf, fell into a murky pool (pit?) and transformed into a naked human before being captured.

I mean sure, I see how the whole transformation thing might make it a pain for the poor U-mans, but they could at least show up wearing a hat.

Urist McBeanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 06:25:17 pm »

What if "Steve McWere-civet detests hats"?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 06:31:29 pm »

Urist McBeanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 06:36:48 pm »

Must admit that has got me laughing for 5 minutes at least. I am easily amused.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 06:48:05 pm »

Must admit that has got me laughing for 5 minutes at least. I am easily amused.

At first I was like, wtf?

Then I remembered "Were-civet", I now need new under-garments.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 06:56:28 pm »

Unless you for some reason absolutely have to control a portion of the surface, don't bother with a roofed enclosure, every time i've tried to build one in an evil biome, i've had zombie bird and nasty rain troubles.  Just dig in immediately, with a 3 wide ramp and an underground trade depot (which you might want to dig out later, after you've delved secure lodgings).  Moving everything indoors, and either wall off the enrance or shut it with a bridge or locked doors.  Since grazing won't be possible for a while, butcher the pack animals.  If you're in a zombifying biome, separate the butcher shop and tannery and refuse pile from the rest of the fortress with traps and lockable doors.

Consider embarking on the edge of a non evil biome, so you have a safe place to put your butchery and refuse storage, as well as an entrance out of the rain.  If you make the nonevil biome the center tile of your embark, you will start on it, if you're worried about your dwarves faces necrosing 5 seconds after embark. 

Make liberal use of traps, and not just at the entrances.  Put them in any chokepoints in the fortress, at entrances to stairwells, around the meeting area, near any potential source of corpses, like butcher shops and hosptials.  Make the ones in the hospital cage traps, as dwarves may pass out in there.

Poultry are handy, and not a major risk if they die.  If you have a few hens, you don't need to bring more than just the first meal's worth of food.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 08:09:41 pm »

I can think of two items you'll absolutely want in your inventory:
- No Animals
- tons and tons of magnetite1).

The first is self-expalantory once you read up on thralls and undead.
The second is doubly useful: if you set it to be "non-economic" in the z-Stone screen, you can use it to wall yourself in (something you really, really want to do as fast as Dwarvenly possible) plus it makes some nice iron weapons and armor. Might also want to bring some flux stone in order to make steel.

1)A cat Limonite or Hematite is fine too.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 10:42:26 pm »

Heh, "creepyanus"...

Had my group named "the armored Awe-inspiring blue balls" once, I'm pretty sure I didn't get a single birth through the entire fortress life. Could of just reached child limit with migrants, but it was amusing none the less.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30
Pages: 1 [2] 3