Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 35

Author Topic: Internet habits which annoy you.  (Read 100193 times)

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
Re: Internet habits which annoy you.
« Reply #285 on: September 21, 2014, 03:48:29 pm »

This pleasant discussion and pleasant conclusion leads me to a question. Are there any of you who agree with me, or is the aspiring linguist alone?
They can be useful in certain contexts when writing dialogue in an informal situation, given that they indicate a specific tonal quality that isn't really describable unless you stuff your prose with unnecessary words. It can serve the same role in conversation, but tends to be mis-/over-used.
You capture the use of tildes perfectly.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 21, 2014, 04:06:28 pm »

.__.

i just use it to add a lilting tone v_v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #287 on: September 21, 2014, 04:21:59 pm »

Ooh~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #288 on: September 21, 2014, 04:26:33 pm »

Ooh~
OK, I read that one as a woman getting sexually excited.
Everything's a euphemism when you're thinking with tildes.. Thinking... With... Tildes~

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 21, 2014, 05:26:46 pm »

I don't really mind tildes. Used sparingly, and only when appropriate, it can give a lot of "voice" to a piece of text. However, overuse just kills it.

Of course, if I did despise tildes, I'd be a hypocrite, since I do occasionally use them myself~. The effect it usually has on me when reading it is a slightly more uplifted and sing-song-y tone, particularly on the last word. And yes, this does make most things Kevak write sound like a kindergarten class.

Anyways, moving on, one thing that really, really kills me is anything having to do with the phrase tl;dr. If you didn't read it, move on and stop being a jackass. If you did read it, good for you, feel free to comment, or just move on, and if it applies, go ahead and stop being a jackass too because we've got too many as it is.

Also, lolspeak. I. Hate. Lolspeak. It makes me want to strangle you with your own intestines. I dislike l33tsp34k too, but not to the same degree. I did feel like shooting myself when I made a character in a forum game who used it constantly, though.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #290 on: September 21, 2014, 05:41:16 pm »

tldr 101

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 21, 2014, 06:15:08 pm »

I don't really mind tildes. Used sparingly, and only when appropriate, it can give a lot of "voice" to a piece of text. However, overuse just kills it.

Of course, if I did despise tildes, I'd be a hypocrite, since I do occasionally use them myself~. The effect it usually has on me when reading it is a slightly more uplifted and sing-song-y tone, particularly on the last word. And yes, this does make most things Kevak write sound like a kindergarten class.
Yes. Hell yes! Hell, fucking, yes!

Anyways, moving on, one thing that really, really kills me is anything having to do with the phrase tl;dr. If you didn't read it, move on and stop being a jackass. If you did read it, good for you, feel free to comment, or just move on, and if it applies, go ahead and stop being a jackass too because we've got too many as it is.
I use TL;DR as an equivalent to "short version:". Completely wrong, but if I'm going to paraphrase, I find it only appropriate to lead into it with an abbreviation.

Also, lolspeak. I. Hate. Lolspeak. It makes me want to strangle you with your own intestines.
I heard a kid say "lol" in real life a while ago what is wrong with this species.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 21, 2014, 06:17:28 pm »

Also, lolspeak. I. Hate. Lolspeak. It makes me want to strangle you with your own intestines.
I heard a kid say "lol" in real life a while ago what is wrong with this species.
It's okay if you're using it... ironically.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 21, 2014, 06:26:28 pm »

I use TL;DR as an equivalent to "short version:". Completely wrong, but if I'm going to paraphrase, I find it only appropriate to lead into it with an abbreviation.
I don't mind that. What I meant was, say, responding tl;dr to a long post. Slightly justified if it's a wall of text, but only slightly.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 21, 2014, 06:28:35 pm »

I don't really care about lolspeak, as long as I can read it, it's fine. I'll think yer a little dumb if you use it in improper contexts, sure. But *shrug* whatever~

Because I can't read it, I dislike leetspeak, but that's just because it's literally defeating the purpose of communication, by making it harder to understand.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 21, 2014, 06:29:48 pm »

I don't really care about lolspeak, as long as I can read it, it's fine. I'll think yer a little dumb if you use it in improper contexts, sure. But *shrug* whatever~

Because I can't read it, I dislike leetspeak, but that's just because it's literally defeating the purpose of communication, by making it harder to understand.
This.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #296 on: September 21, 2014, 06:48:46 pm »

|\| 5 /-\   ( /-\ |\| ' ']'   |2 3 /-\ [)   /\/\ '/   |337

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 21, 2014, 06:51:39 pm »

Neither can I, for that matter.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #298 on: September 21, 2014, 06:53:06 pm »

When people ask what something is online, like the definition of a word. You are on the internet, use it!

Edit:

NSA can't read my leet?

That took way too long to translate. Why would you use that?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 06:56:19 pm by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #299 on: September 21, 2014, 06:54:21 pm »

Like a deaf man hearing music through an implant that bears no tone, brain memory allows you to ascribe meaning to certain 1337 dialects with ease.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 35