Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35

Author Topic: Internet habits which annoy you.  (Read 100319 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Internet habits which annoy you.
« Reply #225 on: August 04, 2013, 07:41:05 pm »

THIS THREAD DIED EXACTLY ONE YEAR AGO! I DON'T EVEN REMEMBER WHAT THE CONTEXT FOR MY POST HERE WAS!

ANYWAYS I HATE THE CALLIBRI FONT
HOW DOES IT COMPARE TO THE CAPS FONT AND THE CALIBRI WITH ONE L FONT, THOUGH?

Also super agreed with the Vectorpost.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 04, 2013, 07:41:49 pm »

I subscribe to the Syndrome school-of-thought in that regard, Vector.

We're all special little snowflakes, so why should there be any special consideration for you in particular? ANSWER THAT, INTERNET.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 04, 2013, 08:09:10 pm »

Using a period after sentences in chat really bothers me. It makes every message look so stupidly serious, like the person is making a deliberate point of being more correct. This applies more when in a game than instant messaging. Capitalizing 'Lol' or other acronyms is in the same vein, and is even more ridiculous.

Obviously in a forum, if I were to try not using punctuation it would look terrible The difference in messaging is that each message is independent and doesn't need to be separated Unless it's a question or something, of course

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 04, 2013, 08:10:07 pm »

I do that just because if I don't it bugs the shit out of me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #229 on: August 04, 2013, 08:11:57 pm »

Using a period after sentences in chat really bothers me. It makes every message look so stupidly serious, like the person is making a deliberate point of being more correct. This applies more when in a game than instant messaging. Capitalizing 'Lol' or other acronyms is in the same vein, and is even more ridiculous.
I do find it strange how even light hearted things take on a massive gravitas when proper grammar is applied. I don't even think it's just the general consensus that everything is to be assumed an attack until proven otherwise, I think it's more to do with people being prejudiced to the poor full stop.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 04, 2013, 08:15:39 pm »

I use it because having it as the default makes my mode of expression more flexible
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 04, 2013, 08:16:14 pm »

Obviously in a forum, if I were to try not using punctuation it would look terrible The difference in messaging is that each message is independent and doesn't need to be separated Unless it's a question or something, of course
I use punctuation for two reasons:
1) It's a good habit to have.
2) It's a habit.
This, basically. I even use punctuation in text messages.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 04, 2013, 08:20:35 pm »

I use it because having it as the default makes my mode of expression more flexible

Is this some of that new fangled irony?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 04, 2013, 08:28:29 pm »

I do find it strange how even light hearted things take on a massive gravitas when proper grammar is applied. I don't even think it's just the general consensus that everything is to be assumed an attack until proven otherwise, I think it's more to do with people being prejudiced to the poor full stop.

Yeah, it's the added gravity that irks me most. In the middle of a game where people are generally rushing to get out either useful communication or casual banter, taking the time to hit that dumb key just seems passive aggressive. Capitalization at least makes reading easier, but since it's the norm not to use a period, it actually makes you spend more time staring at the sentence.

And the idea that everything is assumed as an attack brings me to something else... using the word 'you'. In my sentence above, I said 'it actually makes you spend more time staring at the sentence', but I'm always kind of scared to type something like that, since it always seems to make people take it SO personally. A word that's meant in that context to mean anybody becomes a direct assault on one's manhood and sexual orientation if put in even somewhat critical context.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 04, 2013, 08:33:13 pm »

I use punctuation for two reasons:
1) It's a good habit to have.
2) It's a habit.
This, basically. I even use punctuation in text messages.
I agree, typing everything out correctly doesn't really take that much time(practice makes perfect).   Of course, it ain't proper to do so in game when it can get someone or yourself killed, but many games do have 'breather' times.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 04, 2013, 08:35:24 pm »

I find that I come off as extremely angry and critical by using grammar in text messages, and even I can see it. That won't make me stop doing it, but I can see it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 04, 2013, 08:40:10 pm »

I guess this particular bugbear isn't confined to the internet, but it's where I've seen it the most.

I hate, HATE, it when an argument is dismissed out of hand on the basis of "You're just complaining". I realize there are plenty of stupid arguments out there, but here's the thing: One of the greatest attribute of the internet is that it gives this place where ideas and discussion can mingle and breed, and while they may not all be gems that it allows people to make their own decisions. So then what happens is that when someone creates a topic and what's the first response they get? "Stop whining". Why do they need to answer with this? Because "we've heard this before". They seem willing to toss the whole thing out the window not because ot the merits of the argument, but because they simply don't want any argument? or maybe you just don't want to argue about 'this' topic.

Well, welcome to humanity. Conformity was never our strong suit. Like a said, I know there's plenty of dumb arguments out there, but that means it's your duty to shift through the crap and give the stuff that's worth while it's dues, not wash all arguments under "whining".

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 04, 2013, 09:02:10 pm »

Well, welcome to humanity. Conformity was never our strong suit. Like a said, I know there's plenty of dumb arguments out there, but that means it's your duty to shift through the crap and give the stuff that's worth while it's dues, not wash all arguments under "whining".
Actually, you are both wrong and right about conformity not being humanity's strong suit.  Many people throughout history do actively try to conform with the community they are in.  The sense of being a 'normal' person within the group/community is a strong social pressure that many people get caught up in.
Of course, this conformity does get eroded, as you throw in other groups/communities to the collective/network, but it will still end up establishing a baseline of 'normal' over time as these groups/communities(cultures) are acclimated to each other, it will however have more 'variables' that do not conform to the baseline.
Then the process repeats itself as more people/groups/communities are gathered into the collective/network.

Now in modern times, individuals are not as reliant on their immediate group/community, what with the advent of instant communication, fast shipping, fast travel and how easy it is to find other groups/communities that agree with them.

Humans can easily contradict itself, interesting critters ain't they?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 04, 2013, 09:44:37 pm »

Actually, you are both wrong and right about conformity not being humanity's strong suit.  Many people throughout history do actively try to conform with the community they are in.  The sense of being a 'normal' person within the group/community is a strong social pressure that many people get caught up in.
Of course, this conformity does get eroded, as you throw in other groups/communities to the collective/network, but it will still end up establishing a baseline of 'normal' over time as these groups/communities(cultures) are acclimated to each other, it will however have more 'variables' that do not conform to the baseline.
Then the process repeats itself as more people/groups/communities are gathered into the collective/network.

Now in modern times, individuals are not as reliant on their immediate group/community, what with the advent of instant communication, fast shipping, fast travel and how easy it is to find other groups/communities that agree with them.

Humans can easily contradict itself, interesting critters ain't they?

Oh, I completely agree with you on that. I've always been an advocate that there is no easy quote that sums up people.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 04, 2013, 10:27:24 pm »

There is no easy quote that sums up people.
An easy quote that sums up people? YOU DECIDE.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35