Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: First real attempt: Dawnbreaker  (Read 4751 times)

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First real attempt: Dawnbreaker
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 12:35:08 pm »

Like those before me, I really love how compact you made that fort =) Its awesome. =) Usually my forts sprawl around my first farm level and all my production ends up on that level creating a mess. At least I can split sleeping, hospital, and eating and metalwork's, into separate z levels =)
I voted for BANANA!

ZealousBlue

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 07:10:35 pm »

Thanks for the feedback!

I did try to make the sleeping arrangements more efficient than my normal sprawling designs by stacking them in multi Z-Level towers.  (Which will become more apparent as I carve my down and truly bring the Dawn to my citizens)  All in all it seems to work quite well. 

As for ecstatic dwarves, I gave all the stunted little bastards a 3x3 with all the necessary items a dwarf could want/need for basic living, far enough away from any potential noise, which they seem to enjoy.  I haven't even needed to install any waterfall type devices to ensure happiness.  I'm rather pleased with that front.

I should have some time this week to gets some progress made.  I'll update pictures as I can.  Work has me running in circles recently.

Also:  I'm considering how I'm going to go about bringing the Dawn to the Furthest Depths.  After all, somebody is going to have scourge the place.  Might as well be me.  I may carve a separate shaft on the other side of the volcano.  Not sure yet.  Going straight down will also be tricky, because guaranteed my projected path will take me straight through the underground lake.  I'll drive off that bridge when I get to it, I suppose.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 09:24:37 pm »

My question about this fort, and all other forts i see on the forums, is why do you make everything so big and complicated? Do you have any idea how compact my fort is? I never knew why people have the urdge to make everything in their fort so huge and hard to understand. From the beggining, i made my forts as small as i possibly can, without even noticing it. Then when i went on the forums and saw other peoples massive temples and throne-rooms, i was just like "lolwut?". The habit has always seemed to stick to me in almost every  sandbox game i play. Il see people with massive bases, and yet in my small hut il be the same tier as them. My last base is as big as, mabye, your surface base, and few big rooms, if you combine all the floor-space, and it didint have any complicated plumming or power or lava or whatever, and was the home of 130+ ectastic dwarves.... cept the naked children.

Edit: pics of my newest base here; http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=107601.45 . In my older base, there wasint even that big open area, it was just rooms, and a few tables/chairs. I tried to less minature this time around. If you saw how small my first real fort was, you would scream.

Sorry, i edited this about 4 times xD

I find it ridiculously easy to achieve an ecstatic large population of dwarves once you've mastered the basics, and the industries pose little challenge either.

This +1.  My first forts were small and compact with no fancy features, but once I learned the basics the more complicated stuff became interesting.  I still remember the first time I redirected water in a river so that I could work on the back wall of a waterfall.  I was ecstatic.
Iv been playing this game for a year or two, i have baisics down, its just how my brain operates i guess. Even when i try to make my forts "epic", they turn out like minature versions of epic things. I just try find the most efficiant and compact way to do everything, uncounsously. I should be an engineer.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 09:32:33 pm »

Haha, well after some hours of trying different designations, your fort has inspired in me a new design that takes into account 3D space when I designate. I can now designate huge chunks of workshops and stockpiles all at once. This is getting macro'd and becoming my new standard =) Rock on! My forts will forever be tainted by your fort meme!
I voted for BANANA!

ZealousBlue

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 09:03:02 pm »

AHH!  The power flickered.  I didn't save...

NNoooooOooOooOoo

There goes a day's worth of progress lol

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 09:28:11 pm »

NNoooooOooOooOoo

Ouch...

Remember to save at least once per hour. That's what I do.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 09:32:51 pm »

NNoooooOooOooOoo

Ouch...

Remember to save at least once per hour. That's what I do.

Seasonal autosaves, Booya.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?
Pages: 1 [2]