Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trying to Tell Me Something, Google?  (Read 7174 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Trying to Tell Me Something, Google?
« on: April 19, 2012, 08:38:00 pm »

As many of you who use facebook have probably noticed by now, many of the news links on your newsfeed require the use of an "app."
Many of you, including myself, probably refuse to make use of this app and have everything you read appear on your feed, instead simply copy and pasting the title of the article into google.

Today, whilst curious as to whether or not Jennifer Love Hewitt had a wardrobe malfunction (she did not), I came across this...interesting description on google:

"9 hours ago - What yahoo is attempting to do by sending you to facebook from here is to remove your anonymity. Yahoo will be going bye-bye soon, this is ... "

Investigating the page itself, it would seem that nobody has said anything like this, even in the comments sections.
One has to wonder where the text comes from, and why it's in the description.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to Tell Me Something, Google?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 08:39:09 pm »

Deleted comment, probably.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 08:39:57 pm »

Ah, that would explain it.

I was rather hoping for some sort of crazy guerilla between google and yahoo. Oh well :P
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 11:33:51 pm »

Why is it that whenever I hear the name "Jennifer Love Hewitt" I picture Alyssa Milano?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 04:57:27 pm »

Why is it that whenever I hear the name "Jennifer Love Hewitt" I picture Alyssa Milano?

Why is it whenever I hear the names "Jennifer Love Hewitt" or "Allysa Milano" my propoagnosia kicks in and all I see are femanons?

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 08:31:36 am »

[...]propoagnosia[...]

prosopagnosia ?
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 10:50:54 am »

As many of you who use facebook have probably noticed by now, many of the news links on your newsfeed require the use of an "app."

Yeah, this trend is pushing me more toward just getting rid of facebook entirely. The trouble is, it's useful to have the ability to instantly communicate with anyone I've ever known.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 11:47:24 pm »

I kinda hate Facebook and it not letting you delete your account without a fight.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 04:34:35 pm »

That's pretty much it.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 05:04:01 pm »

That's pretty much it.

O it's worse. If you visit ANY site, that ties into facebook within about a month of deleting your account, it will STILL count that as you logging in and wanting your account....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 05:06:39 pm »

As long as you don't log in? >.>

The facebook logging in thing is horrible, if you ask me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 05:11:54 pm »

As long as you don't log in? >.>

The facebook logging in thing is horrible, if you ask me.

Nope. It's not that bad. It's worse.

See you know how you visit a website sometimes and there's this Facebook thing embedded into the website? Visiting that site counts as "logging in." Doesn't matter that you never knew it was there or that it counted. It still does. The Facebook wants your personal information, it does, and it wantses to sell it. It will. You will be sucked into Facebook.... :P

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 05:12:46 pm »

I do think there was a manual deletion process you could take that's rather irritating but provides instant freedom.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 05:24:46 pm »

I do think there was a manual deletion process you could take that's rather irritating but provides instant freedom.

They still have the wait period. Unfortunately I know this from practical experience.

When I deleted mine, it was a nightmare and stuff was still showing up months later. Personally, I threatened to ruin their site with an automated spam campaign to end all spam campaigns. I then emailed them a copy of the automated code a friend put together for me. That got their attention. Instant deletion, mission accomplished.

Very sick of captive strategies. When someone wants to leave nicely, just let them. It isn't hard. You can't force people to stay or if you do then it won't be good.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 05:26:39 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 05:29:18 pm »

Yup, there's no threats like threats that are actually backed.

Pages: [1] 2