Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 556555 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3690 on: November 18, 2016, 07:10:16 pm »

Probably works better if there's piecrust on the bottom.(note: I did not expect Chrome to label "piecrust" as a correct word)

Just made some rice, grated some Monterrey Jack cheese and pepperoni, and added come curry powder. Pretty spicy, sticky and filling. Note: pepperoni is difficult to grate. Probably because I did not remove the casing.

If I were to make rice and barley together, would I have to cook them in separate pots? Both have a similar cook time and method.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: November 18, 2016, 07:32:46 pm »

I prefer pot pies.

Coincidentally, that's what I'm eating right now - homemade chicken pot pie straight from the oven.

Tasty!
One of these days, I want to do a cornbread shell, and fill it with chili. Maybe a white chicken chili, or a tomato bean one.

Tonight, it's garlic noodles and some sweet-and-vinegary soy sauce eggs.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3692 on: November 18, 2016, 07:46:15 pm »

Probably works better if there's piecrust on the bottom.(note: I did not expect Chrome to label "piecrust" as a correct word)
Oh yeah, I got it confused with Shepard's pie, which doesn't have a bottom IIRC.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: November 18, 2016, 08:38:42 pm »

Oh yeah, I got it confused with Shepard's pie, which doesn't have a bottom IIRC.

Shepherd's pie is covered with mashed potatoes. Also, delicious.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: November 19, 2016, 08:13:03 pm »

I just got a 9" pie tin, and I want to make some pies!

Are canned pie fillings worth it? Do they need anything mixed in with them, generally, or do they just go straight in?

Get prepared fruit pie fillings from your local farmers market / local farm store, not the grocery store. Much better quality because it's not all been processed into blandness. Grocery stores are for almond paste and poppy seed fillings.  At a pinch, high-end grocery stores might have good pie fillings.

I really like the Serious Eats pie crust recipes: http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/11/easy-pie-dough-crust-bravetart-food-lab.html
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: November 20, 2016, 04:14:35 am »

Yeah, none of that kind of stuff is available here because nobody really bakes much.

Anyway, today I'm trying apple.

Anybody have any recommendations for recipes?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: November 20, 2016, 07:12:27 am »

I can fish up our family Apple Pie recipe real quick. There's a recipe for crust too. BRB...

Welp, seems I don't have it on hand right now, and it's too early to call around. I do, however, have the family Cooking Grimoire... old copy of The Joy of Cooking. A lot of our recipes, including the pie one, came from here. I can snap some pictures that'll cover a range of pie and pie-related techniques, and put them in an album. I snipped out some of the pages that stray from fruit pies, but I think a pretty good selection of recipes are there.

How to Pie

Oftentimes, my Dad or Grandma would use a second crust, cut it into strips, and weave them into a lattice on top. Also, conventional wisdom is to not pre-bake the crust either; cook it while the pie cooks, to helps keep it from getting soggy.

Sorry about some of the white-balancing issues and potato-leaning photos. These were the best shots I got. Also, please pardon the occasional old-world sensibilities about Hungarian Girls and Pastry Dough, etc.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 07:17:38 am by Solifuge »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: November 20, 2016, 10:28:43 am »

Thanks, I already have a working crust recipe.

Now for the hardest part of making the pie.
Spoiler: waiting for this (click to show/hide)

That, or waiting for it to cool.

Finished Product: http://imgur.com/a/l9KsR

Next time, I'll use less sugar. Besides that, came out perfect.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 12:24:48 pm by Japa »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: November 20, 2016, 02:02:45 pm »

Tried Jalapanos bread.

It was really spicy fresh. Next day however? Perfect and still crunchy and soft.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3699 on: November 22, 2016, 08:41:24 am »

Anyone have any great lentil recipes, that I can scale up to feed a family of five? I have 500g (~1lb) split red lentils, a decent assortment of spices notably lacking many Mediterranean ones, onions, cabbage, peas, sweetcorn, rice, potatoes, pasta, and options on something involving chicken or something involving beef.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: November 22, 2016, 08:48:50 am »

Shove your lentils into a blender along with some soy and enough liquid to make it a shake. Add green food coloring. Laugh madly at a joke that your family won't get.

Not actually a suggestion. I just dropped in to be sad about the fact that there are some foods I'll probably never prepare (like the aforementioned lentils) because they're sold in somewhat large bags and I don't want to buy that much of something if I end up disliking it.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: November 22, 2016, 08:52:09 am »

Not actually a suggestion. I just dropped in to be sad about the fact that there are some foods I'll probably never prepare (like the aforementioned lentils) because they're sold in somewhat large bags and I don't want to buy that much of something if I end up disliking it.
You got a freezer? Buy everything, then throw everything you don't like into it. You will be glad you did it once civilization inevitably collapses.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: November 22, 2016, 09:07:07 am »

You got a freezer? Buy everything, then throw everything you don't like into it. You will be glad you did it once civilization inevitably collapses.

We have a small freezer. It contains food we enjoy, as well as shitty (and sometimes non-shitty) lunches for work. Apartment building, so we can't really replace the whole fridge or buy a chest freezer.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: November 22, 2016, 09:08:57 am »

Go to a bulk store like Bulk barn.

There are a few places out there that allow you to basically chose how much rice or lentils you want.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: November 22, 2016, 09:10:39 am »

Go to a bulk store like Bulk barn.

I am an idiot. Thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 334